Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Sunday morning, Cottagers!! It is a white and sunny morning here, and cold. It think I will stay inside and play with all of you today, if that is OK?

Well, we are fast approaching the end of the year, time for many of us to make our New Year resolutions. I plan to go back on my diet, and hopefully lose another 20 pounds before Summer.

The ancient Babylonians made promises to their gods at the start of each year that they would return borrowed objects and pay their debts. The Romans began each year by making promises to the god Janus, for whom the month of January is named. In the Medieval era, the knights took the "peacock vow" at the end of the Christmas season each year to re-affirm their commitment to chivalry. At watchnight services, many Christians prepare for the year ahead by praying and making these resolutions. There are other religious parallels to this tradition. During Judaism's New Year, Rosh Hashanah, through the High Holidays and culminating in Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement), one is to reflect upon one's wrongdoings over the year and both seek and offer forgiveness. People may act similarly during the Christian fasting period of Lent, though the motive behind this holiday is more of sacrifice than of responsibility, in fact the practice of New Year's resolutions partially came from the Lenten sacrifices. The concept, regardless of creed, is to reflect upon self-improvement annually. So, not an easily answered question, where the practice comes from, eh?

So, here are the top 10 resolutions that Americans, and I suspect Canadians make each year, according to a study by the University of Bristol. Can you put them in the correct order?

Quit Smoking
Help Others in Their Dreams
Fall in Love
Getting Organized
Spend Less, Save More
Lose Weight
Enjoy Life to the Fullest
Staying Fit and Healthy
Learn Something Exciting
Quit Smoking
Spend More Time with Family

What percentage of Americans make resolutions:
A. 22%
B. 49%
C. 15%

What percentage succeed?
A. 40%
B. 12%
C. 8%

And finally, what percentage never make resolutions?
A. 80%
B. 49%
C. 24%

Well, there, that should be fun, and stimulate some conversation. I had a great cartoon to add for this, but Photobucket is being hateful today!! Well, and yesterday, to be honest. So let's try to work this out, shall we? And I do have some great tips on succeeding in your resolutions, according to this study!!

As always, I will be back with clues, and hot/cold directions.

Nancy.

Comments (14)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha - I figured it out - here is the cartoon!!

{{gwi:617732}}

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

My answers so far:

Nope
    B
    C
    B

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol - TM, of the 3 you answered, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, to quote Meatloaf!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

What fun! I would guess losing weight is number one, but let me ponder a bit. I am guessing on the others, but it can't be A and A for #1 and #3 since that would be more than 100%.

Oops...got distracted. Started this at 10:30. Busy cleaning up from project started yesterday (cleaning pantry closet and getting rid of outdated stuff-no resolution needed! Ha).

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

How about B B & B. I'll have to think about the other for a while.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh crap - I screwed the last question up - it should read:
    And finally, what percentage never make resolutions?
    A. 38%
    B. 42%
    C. 21%

And Cyn, don't worry about the numbers adding up - there is also the category of people who sometimes make resolution!! Sorry for the confusion!!

Annette and Cyn - you got 1 out of 3!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I think B C A .

Lose weight
    Spend less save more
    Quit smoking
    Getting organized
    Staying fit and healthy
    Spend more time with family

The others are a toss up.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

B
    B A

Lose weight
    Quit smoking
    Get organized
    Spend less, save more
    Stay fit
    Enjoy life
    Spend time with family
    Help others
    Learn something
    Fall in love

Personally, I am way too self-aware to make any resolutions! I make wishes. ;)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Surprisingly, quitting smoking is farther down the list than I would have imagined!! Perhaps because many already have?? I don't know. Good start for Bobbie and Cyn with your lists. Bobbie is ahead with her letters!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Ok, I'll have another go at it
    B C A

Spend more time with family or not in some cases LOL.
    Staying fit and healthy
    Lose weight (I'm doing pretty good)
    Enjoy life to the fullest
    Learn something exciting
    Getting organized
    Help others with their dreams
    Quit smoking
    Spend less save more
    Fall in love

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Okay, how about B, C, A? I was debating on #2 and leaning toward C, but talked myself out of it.

Lose weight
    Get organized
    Spend time with family
    Spend less, save more
    Stay fit
    Enjoy life
    Help others
    Quit smoking
    Learn something
    Fall in love

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very good - you three have it.

What percentage of Americans make resolutions: 49%
    What percentage succeed? Sadly, only 8%
    And finally, what percentage never make resolutions? 38%

And the most popular resolutions?
    1. Lose Weight
    2. Getting Organized
    3. Spend Less, Save More
    4. Enjoy Life to the Fullest
    5. Staying Fit and Healthy
    6. Learn Something Exciting
    7. Quit Smoking
    8. Help Others in Their Dreams
    9. Fall in Love
    10.Spend More Time with Family

Men achieved their goal 22% more often when they engaged in goal setting, (a system where small measurable goals are being set; such as, a pound a week, instead of saying "lose weight"), while women succeeded 10% more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends.

There you go!! I wish you all well in the New Year, no matter your resolutions!

For Annette, Bobbie and Cyn:

Thanks to All for playing - see you next year!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Nancy!

I think it is very funny that fall in love and spend time with family are at the bottom of the list! Not sure why it tickles me so, but it does. :)

Happy New Year to all of you. I wish us all a marvelous year full of joy and laughter.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, we do seem to be a self-centered bunch, don't we - they actually would be near the top of mine!!

Nancy.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH