Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, it's Sunday again, and oh my gosh - it's December!! That snuck in on me!! So, no, I didn't go out and find and Christmas trivia - maybe next week!!

Well, I had one of 'those' moments in the car this week, you know, when you hear a song you haven't heard in ages, one that you just love!! And then you can't remember who the artist is!!! My friend and I both knew the song, but the artist eluded us!! One of the wonderful country-rock bands from the seventies - lyrical, great musicianship - the Eagles, we both exclaimed, and went home happy. But we were both wrong. It was another great band called Poco!! So, here is my question today. You've heard of the game 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon, right? Well, let's play 1 degree of Poco - all of these tremendous musicians had been, and went on to be in top rated bands. I'm not talking about all of the musicians they went on to be sidemen for, I mean real bands, not solo acts. Upon a basic perusal, I found 15 others 'name' bands - some of them even bigger that Poco.

So, how many can you remember or guess?? You guys are usually way ahead of me. Shall I sing to inspire you? "Roll along, roll on, Rose of Cimarron; Dusty days are gone now, Rose of Cimarron." I know, I'm off-key: here's the real thing to kick you off!!

Nancy - who will continue humming!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose of Cimarron

Comments (17)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I loved Poco! Alas, can't remember the names...am I allowed to look on the old album I still have? ;). Probably not, so I have some guesses.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, the liner notes might tell you some of the befores, not the afters, lol. What if I said the some of the members were:
    Richie Furey, George Grantham, Randy Meisner, Timothy B. Schmit and Paul Cotton?? Any bells ringing? Well the nitty gritty of the music business is that many talented musicians do not stay with one band for their entire career - many don't even remain performing musicians. But their talent does continue to soar!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much good on this one, I like/liked a lot of the bands but never payed to much attention to the artists, it was more the sound. Thinking back some of my favorites were Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, The Moody Blues, are a few that come to mind, Santana was and still is a favorite. I seem to know a little more about The Beatles and The BeeGees, mind you if I heard some names the light bulb would probably come on. Soooo, I'm going to sit back and watch what you guys come up with.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

Reading Annette's faves --- It's so interesting to see how all of our musical tastes converge in some spots and diverge in others. I've always been a big fan of C,S,N and Y, CCR, and The Eagles, but others not so much. I think I'm a little older than you ladies and Poco was never on my radar. The names of the guys don't ring any bells for me, so I'm probably going to be useless on this question.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A friend and I went to look at a duplex that's up for rent yesterday. We thought it might be nice to share our expenses as we are getting on, as they say. Her DH is in early stages of Alzheimer's, so it might make life a little easier for her. I'm not sure what my girls would think of her Shih Tzu Rosie, but Rosie knows she likes cats!!! The house has a little deck, and a back yard - we are both tired of apartment living, being used to living in houses. We'd have a garden next summer, maybe even have garden parties!!! Both of us like the country, we might even do one of those gardens that use an old plow or some kind of farm machinery as a centre-piece!!

And yes, I have liberally sprinkled some clues in all of my postings!! lol, gleen them out if you can.

Nancy.

11 years ago

I like all kinds of music from hard rock to some classical. We also have CD's by Jesse Cook, Oscar Lopez, Ottmar Liebert, Willie and Lobo (being a particular favorite of mine), Charo and Leona Boyd.
    DH is more in tune with the softer side of our CD collection where I've still got a bit of the wild thing in me, just when it comes to music tho, honest!!!

This is what you do when you don't know the answers, hijack the thread LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Willie and Lobo

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I think I picked up several clues. Suspect you were on the right track for this question with your very first guess even though it was wrong for the song.

Dogs keep bringing in leaves and dirt-yes, Annabelle has been digging again. Dare I call them the dirt band rather than the mongrel horde?

The duplex sounds like a nice idea. I would miss having some sort of garden and I know you will love having your own right out the door again. Garden Party indeed. Difficult situation, though, for your friend. That is such a terrible disease.

So, I think I have three bands if I am reading your clues correctly. One may be wrong because it seems to me that they were around before Poco, but I have a lousy memory for stuff like that. The album I have still is "Picking Up the Pieces" which is what they were doing at the time.

Cynthia

11 years ago

Nancy, a duplex sounds grand, hope it all works out for you. Still in the dark as far as today's trivia, when all is said and done I'll probably be giving my head a shake LOL.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Clues are:
    Farm Equipment
    soaring
    nitty gritty
    garden party

oh, yes, and I should mention the one name I left out - Jim Messina - any help??

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

One pretty much has to be the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
    Garden party reminds me only of Rick Nelson.
    Messina ended up with Kenny Loggins, right?

Nothing else is coming to me yet.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I also picked up on Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Ricky Nelson. My parents had recoeds of C &W singers, including Johnny Cash. Loved to sing along with them while cleaning house Saturday mornings. I went Rock and Roll and have stayed mostly rock over the years though these days rarely listen to the radio and music unless I'm in the car. Only C&W I've heard lately has been on the tv series Nashville.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Soaring might be Wings.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, let's see how quickly I can tie this up. btw, Annette, I loved that song. Well, Country Rock in the seventies for me was like a guilty pleasure, cause I was a hard rocker, lol. But these guys did kinda seep into my mind.
    Buffalo Springfield - Ritchie Furey, Jim Messina (farm equipment)
    The Eagles - Randy Meisner, Timothy B. Schmit, Al Garth (soaring)
    Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Al Garth
    Foreigner - Rick Seratte
    White Snake - Rick Seratte
    Stone Canyon Band (Rick Nelson's band) - Randy Meisner
    Loggins and Messina
    Illinois Speedpress - Paul Cotton
    Sky Kings - Rusty Young
    After these, it drops a level of famousness: Souther Hillman Furay Band, Au Go Go Singers, the Kenny Loggins Band, Great Plains.

So just a little fame!! Picking up the Pieces was Poco's 1st album and is considered THE seminal album in Country Rock.
    I did sneek out on you yesterday for a bit - hit an antiques mall in a nearby town and picked up 2 vinyl albums - To Our Children's Children's Children and Seventh Sojourn. Didn't have a chance to get them on the turntable last night, hopefully after work today.

For TM:
    For Bobbie and Cyn:

Thanks for Playing, see you all next week!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thanks for the stars and the fun question, Nancy. As much as I like the Eagles, Glen Frey and Don Henley are the only two names I ever remember from that group. Soaring was a great clue that I should have picked up on.

Until next time,
    TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I didn't get back and this site is blocked by my school district (can't have teachers doing anything personal at school!), but I did get your clues for the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Ricky Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band, and the Eagles. I also thought of Loggins and Messina, but didn't think you were looking for duos. Buffalo Springfield was another favorite - thought they pre-dated Poco, though. What a lot of talent there!

Fun question. Thanks for the star!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BS do predate!! That's why I was saying the liner notes would tell you.
    Sorry Cyn - I was reading fast!! Here's another star for you:

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Haha, wasn't looking for more stars! I was glad to get one! I never got back, so I was just bragging about how your clues did give me answers. You're a sweetie to be so generous.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022