Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

{{gwi:617833}}

Well, no one will ever accuse me of being early. Someone else is cooking the turkey today, and I am taking full advantage! Merry Christmas to All. Good Morning.

OK, IâÂÂll try not to make you too sleepy, but:

There is a belief that heavy consumption of turkey meat (as for example in a Christmas feast) results in drowsiness, which has been attributed to high levels of tryptophan contained in turkey. However, while turkey does contain high levels of tryptophan, the amount is comparable to that contained in most other meats. Once in the CSF(that would be the cerebrospinal fluid, to most of us), tryptophan is converted into serotonin in the raphe nuclei by the normal enzymatic pathway. The resultant serotonin is further metabolised into melatonin by the pineal gland. Hence, this data suggest that "feast-induced drowsiness" - "and, in particular, the common post-Christmas dinner drowsiness" - "may be the result of a heavy meal rich in carbohydrates, which, via an indirect mechanism, increases the production of sleep-promoting melatonin in the brain.

Whew - " still with me?? OK, so itâÂÂs not just the turkey. This all got researchers thinking about tryptophan, though. Yes, it makes you sleepy, naturally. Yes, they are working on a supplement that will be a natural sleep tonic. However, they are working with another Holiday-related food that contains about 1/3 more of the stuff, and is easily and cheaply produced.

ItâÂÂs easy as pie, really. You will all get it!! Plus, IâÂÂll be back with clues. Enjoy the day.

Nancy.

Comments (11)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone, I'll be waiting for clues on this one.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did put a rather seedy one in there already. Maybe it's not enough??

Well, I've got a double batch of Mincemeat Squares in the oven (cheaters way to do mince tarts) and a batch of dinner rolls going in the bread maker. I'm going to do 2 batches, hopefully, but miscounted my eggs. I'm hoping my neighbour has one to spare, or only one Eggs Benny for me.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Okay, I need to go back and read carefully, but bacon is cooking and John and Kelly just arrived, so will guess later. Wondering about "easy as pie" and if it could be pumpkin? Also thought of cranberries...

Merry merry all!

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

My first and only guess is pumpkin since it is the most popular pie at Christmas......or could it be pumpkin seeds from those pumpkins since you are giving away seedy clues?

Ginny

• thinman
    12 years ago

I thought of pumpkin first too. In fact, I'm still thinking of pumpkin, and that will be my answer unless a better one occurs to me (or gets mentioned by someone else so I can jump on.)

TM

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Pumpkin is my thought as well, standard holiday pie though we are having coconut cream pie today.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Just to be different I'll go with pumpkin seeds :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Ok, I wil go with my first thought of pumpkin, too. No reason except it is the standard holiday pie I think of as well-although that coconut cream sounds yummy!

We always had plum pudding with hard sauce for dessert on Christmas day. I need to do that myself one year.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

From the seedy comment I will change my answer to pumpkin seeds.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, there you go - stars for everyone. Yes.

Pretty great stuff, this. Dietary deficiency of tryptophan may lead to low levels of serotonin. Low serotonin levels are associated with depression, anxiety, irritability, impatience, impulsiveness, inability to concentrate, weight gain, overeating, carbohydrate cravings, poor dream recall, and insomnia. High dietary intake of tryptophan from food sources is not known to cause any symptoms of toxicity. In addition, tryptophan has been given therapeutically, as a prescription medicine or dietary supplement, in doses exceeding five grams per day with no report of adverse effects.

What can high-tryptophan foods do for you?
    Help regulate your appetite
    Help you sleep better
    Elevate your mood

Tryptophan occurs naturally in nearly all foods that contain protein, but in small amounts compared to the other essential amino acids. The following foods contain tryptophan: red meat, dairy products, nuts, seeds, legumes, soybeans and soy products, tuna, shellfish, and turkey. Soyabeans have the highest amounts, but nobody talks about a tofurkey coma!!

So there you go, more that you ever wanted to know about turkey coma, I'm sure.

World's Healthiest Foods ranked as quality sources of:
    tryptophan
    Food Serving Size Cals Amount(g) DV(%) Nutrient Rating
    Shrimp 113.40g 112.3 0.33 103.1 16.5 excellent
    Turkey 4 oz-wt 153.1 0.38 118.8 14.0 excellent
    Chicken 4 oz-wt 187.1 0.41 128.1 12.3 excellent
    Halibut 4 oz-wt 158.8 0.34 106.2 12.0 excellent
    Salmon 113.40g 157.6 0.30 93.8 10.7 excellent
    Calf liver 4 oz-wt 217.7 0.40 125.0 10.3 excellent
    Tofu 4 oz-wt 86.2 0.14 43.8 9.1 excellent
    Lamb 4 oz-wt 229.1 0.35 109.4 8.6 excellent

Hope you had the best Christmas ever. Thanks for playing!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

That was a great question Nancy! I also love the way you give us such marvelous stars. Guess I had better download some to my Picasa account, so I can rise to your level!

Hope your Christmas was absolutley grand as well.

Cynthia

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms