Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

What calendars do you like?

thinman
13 years ago

It's tradition around here that I get DW a wall calendar every Christmas. It's always one from Lang. I'm really partial to the Four Seasons by John Sloane, but the last few years DW has wanted something a little different. I noticed that Lang has a Cottage Garden calendar, which made me think of you all. It was nice, but not exactly what I was looking for. I also noticed that Lang's Four Seasons calendar is now being done by Kevin Dodds. Andrews McMeel is publishing the John Sloane version. That's OK. I wasn't going to get it anyway.

This year I've decided to go with American Kitchen by Susan Winget. Let's hope it's a hit.

So what do like hanging in your house? Lang? Freebies from the gas company? Homemade?

ThinMan

Comments (13)

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

For many years I have been using Minnesota Gardening, a calender put out by the U of MN Extension. It has great photos and gardening tips for each month.

I also search for a calender using Monet paintings or other Impressionist artists.

We often get calenders as gifts so I don't go calender shopping until after Christmas.

• natal
    13 years ago

I keep a New Yorker Cat calendar hanging on the inside of the bathroom linen closet door ... a mini nature calendar on the laundry room bulletin board ... a Catherine Breer framed desk calendar on an easel on the kitchen counter ... and next to my computer I have a recycled easel photo calendar. I update the months and occasional the photos and it's good to go.

{{gwi:618224}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Catherine Breer

• frogview00
    13 years ago

I had a calender made from vacation photos for my Mom. She loved it as it reminded her of our trip for a whole year. She still has it and that was 1996.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I try and get a retro one. Last year was a Munsters. Often it's a psychedelic posters of Filmore...one year it was Nuns On The Run from my BIL...(that was pretty funny). I also used to like 60's film posters.
    I used to get them from a calendar website, but I think they went out of business.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I always make 12 collages from our year's photos and take them to Kinko's to be made into a calendar. It is an annual gift to DH, the family photograher and is a great way to save the best pictures, so they are easy to find! We hang it on the refrigerator with magnet clips, so we can enjoy the pictures on a daily basis. So much fun. Wish I had started the tradition when we first were married. I do try to get the animal calendars to distribute to my students-they love the World Wildlife and SPCA ones.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Wow, so many beautiful calenders! I just get whatever has kitties or horses and the yearly John Wayne calendar, for my husband. His office wouldn't be the same, without the Duke! :)

• dawiff
    13 years ago

This year I used Snapfish to make two calendars, one using photos of my own garden for the past year, and the other using pictures of all the babies and young children in my family. I re-ordered the baby one for my mom, who is their great-grandma.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have gotten calendars of the grand kids before, but I never thought of making a calendar of my own gardens. That sounds like a super idea. I have just the place for it - right where I usually put the freebie from the gas company.

TM

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

A calender of your own garden does sound like a great idea... I usually get a David Austin Roses calender; they have great rose photos, and many pictures of roses growing with other flowers.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I love the idea of making my own garden calender. My mom would love that, so would my hubbies aunt and grandma. This year we have his aunt's Equine Rescue calendar. Beautiful pictures of the horses that Hilary rescues and provides gentle homes for in Colorado.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

I've been thinkgin about this since you posted, TM. I usually go for what's on sale, to be honest, or the gimmee's, but I almost bought one yesterday. It was the Old Farmers Almanac Garden Calender. It looked kind of nice. I picked it up and put it in my cart, then thought, it's probably for another zone warmer than mine, then I looked at the price. Let's just say I didn't buy it!!

Nancy.

• natal
    13 years ago

Nancy, WM has it for $6.50. I view calendars as cheap art.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Farmer's Almanac Garden calendar

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Actually, it was at WM that I saw it, still full price here, just under $10 CAD. Did I mention that I'm cheap, er, rather, careful!! lol.

Thanks GGG.

Nancy.

Sponsored