Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Cookes decorated at last

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

Only made a couple dozen, used only white frosting this year and decorated with silver and gold balls, and white "pearls", and some blue sprinkles. I wanted blue sugar but didn't feel like going downtown esp. for that. Now if I can just stay out of them until friends can share.

It is so cold here today. In about an hour my little dog will want to go outside for her afternoon walk and potty break. brrrr. I bought her a nice canvas coat with a sherpa lining because the temps were in the teens a few days last week. She didn't wear it this morning, but I might have to insist this afternoon. I think it's spitting snow again too.

Comments (13)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That should read "cookies" not "cookes".

• natal
    13 years ago

No pics? You must be blessed with the gift of patience. I have none when it comes to things like decorating cookies, but I admire the talents of those who do. I like your color choices.

• thinman
    13 years ago

They sound pretty and tasty, Schoolhouse. We made gingerbread men with our 5 year old grandson last week. He rolled out the dough, used the cookie cutters, and had a great time. The mess wasn't even much worse than normal.

Try to stay warm.

By the way is the lining on that dog vest made out of real Sherpas? :-)

ThinMan

• BecR
    13 years ago

The cut out cookies sound delightful! I've been debating going out to the store to pick up a few supplies to make sugar cookie stars and snowmen, and gingerbread people. But it has been raining, at times heavily, and the wind is starting to blow...not sure if I will venture out today,or not.

Brrr, Christine, the teens temps are waaay colder than we usually get here. STAY WARM!! And I do hope you insist on that sherpa sweater for your dear sweet doggie...

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday hustle and bustle!

XX :) Becky

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are a couple of photos of the cookies, I made them all different but same color scheme. If I had a nice big platter I could have laid them out and taken a really nice photo. Hey, that gives me a great idea for a Christmas card next year. Now all I need is a platter.... what do you think? a sliver platter or white china? crystal? Maybe lay several blue or white Christmas ornaments nearby?

{{gwi:618673}}

{{gwi:618675}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thinman:

{{gwi:618678}}

• natal
    13 years ago

They're beautiful! I'd never seen the white & gold dragees ... only the silver. That's a great idea for a photo card!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

natal, I was SO excited when I found these dragees last year and found them in the bulk food section of the market in my small town of all places. The year before I even went online to find the silver ones, as no other store I went to had any. Plus the ones at the market were cheaper. The little tubs will last me a long time.

I remember I had one bottle of silver dragees before this and rationed them year to year - they were so old and stale by the time I used the last one. An interesting fact, dragees do have a certain amount of metal in them thus are advertised "for decoration only". I've eaten them for years, so far no signs of poisoning - that I know of!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Beautiful schoolhouse. I have never seen the pearls before.

• todancewithwolves
    13 years ago

They are too pretty to eat. They belong in a China cabinet or hanging on my Christmas tree :-)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for compliments everyone. When a friend saw these photos, she exclaimed "Too much work!". Well, I didn't tell her all I did was sprinkle a handful of draggee on them, except maybe a tree or two where I wanted the lines a little straighter. Not much work at all.

todancewithwolves, too late. They're going fast, I have to make sure there's a few left to put into another friend's Christmas package. Frosted cookies and coffee - one of those mmmmmm moments I have often.

• downeastwaves
    13 years ago

Those are wicked pretty! Should be a Christmas card!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Oh, those bring back memories of my childhood, and decorating cookies with my Mum. So many we would make. Christmas card boxes were kept, collected and squirreled away for them. Wax paper lined and layered the boxes, and they were taken out to the widow ladies who no longer were able to, or could no longer afford to bake them. Dropped off, with a stop for tea along the way. It was an outing I did not appreciate as a child. Now I think how blessed those ladies felt.

Thanks for the memories!! Nancy.

Sponsored