Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becr_gw

Holiday Baking?

BecR
13 years ago

Today I made a batch of Eggnog Snickerdoodles!I boxed some up to give as gifts this holiday season.

Please share what you are baking this holiday season!

Photos are welcome!!

Here are a couple of my photos. :) Becky

{{gwi:619223}}

{{gwi:619224}}

Comments (32)

• natal
    13 years ago

Becky, beautiful pics! I tried an eggnog cookie recipe a few years ago that was disappointing, but it wasn't a Snickerdoodle. Maybe I should try again. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

I know I'm making Toffee Butter Cookies, Honey Chipotle Pecans, and Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt, but beyond that I'm not sure. Have two new recipes I want to try in the next week or so.

Still need a test run:

Walnut Acorn Cookies

Biscotti Regina

Toffee Butter Cookies...

{{gwi:619225}}

Honey Chipotle Pecans...

{{gwi:619226}}

Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt

• BecR
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness Natal, what gorgeous photos!!! You've got my mouth watering.

The Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt look right up my alley, too! I've saved the recipe--thank you. :)

Thanks for the the other links too. I will go back and check them out now.

:) Becky

Eggnog Snickerdoodles

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Becky and Natal- Beautiful photos! I love baking, so I'm always looking for fun new recipes :)

I enjoy making sugar cookies and gingerbread people for the kids at Christmas...but my new favorite is shortbread cookies with frosting on top.

I just use the recipe out of BH&G cookbook for the regular shortbread cookies...and cut them into little rectangles. Basic white frosting and then add a few drops of food color for different holiday colors.

They're small enough, no one feels guilty eating two or three and they taste great!

• lorna-organic
    13 years ago

I am posting this recipe as it was given to me. However, I like to make one inch balls of dough, and flatten them with a sugared cookie stamp. (One can use the bottom of a drinking glass--make it a little bit sticky so granulated sugar will stick. That way your stamp won't stick to your cookie dough.) I like my shortbread to have crisp edges.

Natal, would you mind posting your recipe for chipotle honey pecans? I would like to try it. They look wonderful!

Lavender and Honey Shortbread

Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
    1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, slightly softened, cut into chunks
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 teaspoon Lavender
    1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
    Vanilla Glaze (recipe follows)

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 300ðF. Place flour, confectioners' sugar and cornstarch in food processor; cover. Pulse to blend. Add butter; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add honey, lavender and vanilla; pulse until dough pulls away from side of bowl.
    2. Place dough in ungreased 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Place waxed paper over dough. Press to form a smooth even layer in bottom of tart pan. Remove waxed paper. Pierce dough with a fork, then score top with sharp knife into 12 wedges.
    3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until firm and just starting to brown around the edges. (Shortbread should be pale in color.) Place pan on wire rack. Cut through shortbread into wedges. While still warm but not hot, remove shortbread from pan to wire rack to cool. Drizzle Vanilla Glaze over cooled shortbread.

Vanilla Glaze: Mix 1 cup confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract in small bowl until well blended and smooth.

• BecR
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Lorna! Longtime no see!! Am happy to see you posting again. :)

The Lavender Shortbread recipe looks right up my alley--in fact I have a recipe that is almost identical but you have to cut them into wedges. Yours is easier since they are a drop cookie--will give them a try--THANKS!

I made some wonderful Chambord Hot Chocolate! If you like raspberry and cocoa--this adult drink is for you. So easy, just a packet of hot cocoa mix and a shot of Chambord, top with whipped cream et voila!

XX Becky

{{gwi:619227}}

• BecR
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops Lorna, sorry-- I see that yours are not drop cookies--don't know where I got that idea... They do look tasty though. :) Do you think I could make your shortbread without using a food processor, and just mix them up by hand? I only have a mini processor.

Smiles Becky

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

How did I miss this thread? Mmmmmmmm.

I'll be baking mincemeat filled cookies and some cut-outs next week. Don't want to bake too early or I'll eat everything before Christmas Day even gets here.

• natal
    13 years ago

Lorna, here's the recipe for the pecans.

Honey Chipotle Pecans

2 tbsp. honeyâ¨
    1 1/2 tsp. dried chipotle powder
    â¨1 tsp. ground cinnamonâ¨
    2 C. pecan halves
    â¨2 tbsp. granulated sugar
    â¨1 tsp. salt

Preheat the oven to 325. In a medium microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the honey, chipotle powder, and ground cinnamon. Warm through. (You can also do this on the stove in a small saucepan over low heat.)

Stir nuts into warmed honey mixture. Still well to coat. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spread honey-coated nuts in a single layer. Bake until toasted and fragrant, about 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool only slightly (no more than a minute or two-- you want them to still be sticky.)

In a clean, medium sized mixing bowl, combine the sugar and salt. Dump the hot nuts in the bowl and toss to combine.

Spread nuts on cold waxed or parchment paper and let dry. It's best if they don't touch each other.

Serve or store covered until ready to eat.

• natal
    13 years ago

I hate GW sometimes. Why they can't get rid of those gremlins is beyond me.

2 Tablespoons honey
    1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 cups pecan halves
    2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon sea salt

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I make lavender short breads too, however the recipe is a bit different than yours, Lorna (no honey, no glaze) yours sound delicious!
    I'm going to make Santas Beard cookies tonight. That grossed my DH out, but they are gluten free and I am substituting dry cherries for maraschino cherries (after being told what is in them and what they do to them, I won't eat them..:(...
    Lots of coconut should make them delish!

• lorna-organic
    13 years ago

Becr, hello. Yes, you can make the shortbread with a hand mixer, or by hand (cutting the butter in the way one would do with pie dough).

Natal, thank you for the nut recipe. I will give it a try--looking forward to some spicy nuts!

• lorna-organic
    13 years ago

Natal, I made your sweet and savory nuts today. They are good! They look pretty, too. :-) Thank you!

• natal
    13 years ago

Glad you liked them. I made some today too. Dh was eating 'em before they had a chance to cool.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I would like to try Rosemary Nuts. Does anyone have a good recipe for them?

Tomorrow it's snickerdoodle day. I've so far successfully avoided making rolled, shaped and decorated cookies this year. I'm afraid this weekend hubby will request them...:) But tomorrow it's two large batches of snickerdoodles for giving!

• lorna-organic
    13 years ago

My mom used to do half the snickerdoodles the regular way. She added a touch of almond flavoring to the other half of the dough and rolled the cookies in sesame seeds instead of cinnamon/sugar. I preferred her sesame snickerdoodles.

• natal
    13 years ago

Nothing like a snickerdoodle to bring back memories!

GGG, I have one I plan on trying tomorrow. I'll let you know how they taste.

Here is a link that might be useful: Union Square Bar Nuts

• natal
    13 years ago

Make that this weekend. I have to make truffles tomorrow.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I put cinnamon in the cookies (they are gluten free and can use a little extra *something* and then do the cinnamon on top. The other extra flavor in them is coconut - 20% added coconut flour (offset the other flours to do this) and then coconut shortening (because there is no cholesterol in it). So good!

• natal
    13 years ago

GGG, I won't be making the Union Square Nuts until after the first of the year. If you try a rosemary nut recipe let us know.

Yesterday I made Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt. Tomorrow I'm baking Toffee Butter Cookies and Crispy Salted Oatmeal Cookies. That'll wrap up my holiday baking.

{{gwi:619228}}

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I think I'm going to try the Union Square nuts over the holidays while we are visiting. What a great way to make the house full of holiday cheer with the scent of those nuts! I love the truffles picture! YUMMY. I'd eat them all up myself.
    I am going to make little cheesecake lolypops for New Years, the look very similar to your truffles but on a stick!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

I don't have any photos yet, but I am making pralines and chocolate dipped shortbread. I just love that marble counter in the truffles picture, it's beautiful.

• todancewithwolves
    13 years ago

What did I stumble in to?! The pictures are stunning! I am drooling on the keyboard. Got to try all of the recipes while sipping on a Chambord Hot Chocolate (or two)

Edna

• BecR
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Edna! Longtime no see!

Here are a few festive holiday drinks that I've made. I hope you enjoy! I've also done some more holiday baking...

:) Becky

Raspberry Eggnog-- Yummy!! Eggnog and Chambord, with nutmeg. ;)
    {{gwi:619229}}

Whiskey Old Fashioned
    {{gwi:619230}}

Cranberry Pomegranate Champagne Cocktail (can be made alcohol free)--champagne, triple sec, cran-pom uice and pom seeds.
    {{gwi:619231}}

• BecR
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More holiday baking...

Italian Almond Cookies - Ricciarelli
    {{gwi:619232}}

Cranberry Orange Muffins
    {{gwi:619233}}

And, I made some tasty appetizers to share with you!

Fresh Cucumber and Smoked Salmon with Wasabi Cream
    {{gwi:619234}}

• natal
    13 years ago

Becky, WOW! I'll have one of each, lol.

Had my first pomegranate martini last week ... it was SOOO good! Curious why your champagne cocktail doesn't have the red color? You must not have used much juice.

Would you share your recipe for Italian Almond Cookies? I told dh I was done with holiday baking, but then I promised Thumbprints when he comes home next time. What's one more cookie! ;)

• BecR
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Natal. Thanks I am enjoying all of the photos here:)

I downsized the champagne cocktail recipe to serve just the two of us, and yes u r right, I guess I did not use much juice...

I can't remember how to post direct link to ricciarelli recipe (DH helped me last time)--got a tip on how to do this? Thnx.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

becr, I second that "I'll have one of each". Those holiday muffin paper liners are so cute. I want a pack of those! And the muffin is beyond delicious looking. My mouth is actually watering as I look at the cucumber and smoked salmon appetizers. As usual, your presentation is the greatest.

• BecR
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the recipe, Natal. Glad you like the photos schoolhouse:-)

Ricciarelli - Traditional Italian Almond Cookies

• BecR
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning everyone~ I just wanted to mention that I posted a photo of Raindrops on Roses (roses from my garden) over in the cottage gallery, in case anybody is interested. :) Becky

• natal
    13 years ago

Becky, all that almond paste ... they must melt in your mouth! Thanks for the recipe! You should do a food blog. Or do you?

• BecR
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Natal, They are very almondy, which I love. And you are most welcome. I hope you enjoy them if you make them!;-) No I don't do a food blog, yet. Am thinking of it though. Hope you are enjoying this holiday season. Cheers! Becky

• natal
    13 years ago

Becky, if/when you decide to start blogging I'd love to follow yours. I have about a dozen food blogs I check a couple times a week. Have found some great recipes that way.

Sponsored