Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Update: early March flowers

jakkom
12 years ago

Finally, my "Taylor's Perfection" camellia opened up! I really love this camellia, an upright form with its pale pink, single flowers. My February Flowers thread showed a rather blurry photo of the new buds, so I'm excited that it's been so sunny over the weekend, I have more than half a dozen flowers open on the Taylor's:

{{gwi:620528}}

The "Jack Frost" brunnera always recovers quickly as soon as the daytime temps warm up:

{{gwi:620529}}

The clivia was also just buds back in February, and is just opening up today:

{{gwi:620530}}

A "Double Delight" rosebud - the many days of sun and little rain has really pushed up the roses. It was only February 4th when I pruned them back:

{{gwi:620531}}

I really love the variegated leaves of the "Alaska" variety of nasturtiums, but they have crossbred so much I've lost the softer colors and they're mostly all orange flowered now:

{{gwi:620532}}

This funny little succulent is putting up flower spikes. I have no idea what they will look like!

{{gwi:620533}}

We were out and about during the day, so by the time I got into the garden with my camera, the first CA poppies were already closing up:

{{gwi:620535}}

And for Annie in Oklahoma, here's the silver kalanchoe in full bloom today:

{{gwi:620537}}

Comments (5)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

As usual your pics are so enjoyable!
    Camellias don't grow in this part of TX. I have always loved them. I have to tell a tale here.
    One of my son's told me about a "beautiful flower, that looks sort of like a rose", growing at his house in FL. When my grandson was born 21 years ago, I discovered they had about 20 camellia bushes in their yard.
    Being from south TX, he had never seen one.

• Annie
    11 years ago

Love the silver Kalanchoe!
    I found one the other day and started to get it. Wish I had now. That is so lovely.

The CA. Poppy photo is just beautiful. Love the Lemons hanging down in the back above all the dainty flowers. Picturesque California Garden!
    Are those purple daisies Osteospermum? I grew some purple Osteospermum last year. They are grown as an annual here, but this winter was so mild, one survived! :)

I haven't seen a Clivia in decades. Gorgeous. We had them growing against the house on the north side with giant white Callas and ferns. Two Golden-Chain Acacias stood out front along the drive. I LOVED those trees! A terra cotta path lead you to the front entryway down steps and onto the Spanish Patio. All sorts of Succulents and cacti grew on either side and then mother had lots of red and pink Geraniums. My favorites were the trailing ivy-like geraniums that hung down the sides of the cutback of the patio. On the east side of the patio, there was an archway where grew a huge 'Albertine' rambler rose. It grew up and over the archway and up onto the roof of our house. It was so vigorous that is practically swallowed that side of the house. It smelled divine. But because it was thorny, my Father had to cut it off the roof of the house. I hated to see it cut back off the roof- it was so beautiful! But then we all had to help Papa repair the roof, and I saw why Albertine had to go! She was damaging the roof. I just LOVED that old Spanish hacienda and the old garden.

Your photos brought all my childhood memories back to me....
    Love, love, love your garden!

Thank you for sharing.
    ~Annie

• jakkom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Annie, those are osteospermums! The white, pink and purple have crossbred wildly all over the front garden - like weeds, but pretty ones, LOL.

Some osteo photos from my archives:
    Soft shading from white to purple - notice the tiny sharp-edged petals on a few of them:
    {{gwi:620539}}

These stayed a nice light purple:
    {{gwi:620540}}

Rare: White with purple tips, almost like a dahlia:
    {{gwi:620542}}

An even lighter purple, with sharper, more pointed tips:
    {{gwi:620543}}

Hearkening back to its 'spooned' petal heritage:
    {{gwi:620544}}

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

Boo. Why move pictures when they're only a year old?
    Pat

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Here's one of my PJM rhododendrons this Spring.
    Mike

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs