Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

spring!!!

token28001
14 years ago

Camellia japonica - Late winter and spring blooming evergreen shrubs. I took these pictures around my neighborhood today.

{{gwi:620581}}

{{gwi:620582}}

{{gwi:620583}}

{{gwi:620584}}

{{gwi:620586}}

{{gwi:620588}}

{{gwi:620589}}

{{gwi:620590}}

{{gwi:620591}}

{{gwi:620592}}

{{gwi:620593}}

{{gwi:620594}}

In the cemetery, the cherry trees are blooming.

{{gwi:620596}}

The "tulip" trees come in two sizes, gorgeous

{{gwi:620597}}

and HUMONGOUS!

{{gwi:620598}}

I hope to have peaches this year.

It's been a wonderful two days off from work. I managed to get laundry done and mow the yard. I did spend some time taking in the view.

Comments (9)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Zone envy up here in NH!! Wish I could grow Camellias. Do you know the particular variety of peach tree you planted? The flowers are gorgeous.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's a Belle of Georgie. White, free stone.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

OH MY!
    We can't grow camellias here. Those are so lovely.

Years ago, my middle son was trandfered to FL. He kept telling me about a flower hedge that grew there. Once I got there, I realized the hedge was all camellias.
    We can grow saucer maglonias and crepe myrtles.

Yesterday I found tiny baby peaches on my tree. The plum bloomed, but no plums. I think a high wind blew the blossoms off.

Kathy

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Token, thanks for the info. It's good to zone 5! I'll have to find one!! I had sworn off the prunus family for the most part due to insects and disease, but I think I'm going to have to try this one. I just love those flowers.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Belle of Georgia. My fat fingers messed it up. And yes, it is cold hardy to your zone. You can grow peaches. It needs 800-850 chill hours. I think you can manage that.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Token,
    Those pink flowering trees are called, Jane Magnolia. I have but one to date, but plan on planting at least one more. I fell in love with them when attending OSU where they grew around the older building with other types of Magnolias. My Jane Magnolia is now about 15 feet tall. I had to move it twice to find the right spot for it. It is happy now. Some people call them 'Tulip trees' because of the tulip-like flowers. The fragrance is heavenly. It is sweet like many spring flowers with a touch of lemony fragrance to it. I have to sniff the flowers every time I pass by it. The fragrance wafts on hot air. Mine blooms heavenly in Spring and again in fall with only a few blooms.

The one commonly called a Tulip tree is the Yellow-poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera), also called tuliptree, tulip-poplar. It actually is not a Poplar as some people think. It is of the Magnolia family. I had one that I dug up in SC, but the drought two summers later killed it. I would love to get another one and try it again. They have creamy yellow to creamy-green flowers and sometimes there is a bit of orange in their centers. Very unusual tree. The first time I walked under one, I looked up and saw all those flowers facing down and it actually startled me. They were greenish yellow with orange centers. It blew me away! I couldn't see the flowers from the outside. Very curious. They grow to be humongous trees.

I would love to grow Camelias. Gorgeous. They were blooming in SC when we went to my mother-in-law's funeral in October. I took cuttings, but they didn't take. Boo hiss!

Gorgeous photos. Love the cherry trees too. Great images.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Sorry if that sounded "know-it-all" token.
    I wasn't correcting you...but wanted to differentiate for those who may not know the difference.
    Sorry again. (my bad)

Hey, I got to looking at those little plants I dug up last fall in SC at my mother-in-law's house. I am in hopes that they might indeed be tiny Camellias! I pulled them up from around all the various colors of Camellias that were growing along their property line. There were also Crepe Myrtles nearby, so not for certain which they be, but either would be dandy. There are seven little plants and they made it through the winter just fine.
    They have those same sawtooth edges like the ones in your photos above. Oh, I hope they are Camellias.

Gotta go. LOST is coming on the TV here in a few minutes. Can't miss that!

~Annie

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Nice neighborhood. Sigh.
    Renee

• token28001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep. Annie, we have both Tulip poplars and these Jane Magnolias, also called Saucer Magnolias. The Jane variety seems to be the smaller of the two. The large tree is probably 50 years old. There are several of them in my neighborhood and every spring, they bloom like that.

The camellias are great. They do set seed, but I've never collected or found any in my gardens. I should check under some of my neighbor's plants, especially that hedge.

If they kept their leaves through the winter, they won't be crape myrtles. They're deciduous. Camellias are evergreen. Good luck. Hope you got some!

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions