Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

A New Clematis is Bloomig

gldno1
14 years ago

I planted this thing maybe 6 years ago. Each year it would come up, spindly little vines, never a bloom. I have almost forgotten about it.

Lo and behold, yesterday morning while back there checking on the apricot tree, this met my eyes:
{{gwi:620630}}From Clematis
{{gwi:579957}}From Clematis
and a close up of a single bloom. There is a blue shading from the center out.

{{gwi:579955}}From Clematis

I haven't a clue which one it is.

Do any of you?

Comments (13)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Very pretty, do you think it might be 'Asao' I have this one and mine is also a wimpy grower.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Asao

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

I just bought my first Clematis the other day - a "Mrs. N. Thompson". At first I thought that yours may be the same. Does it really take six years to see a bloom on some varieties?

• Annie
    14 years ago

Congratulations Glenda on your beauty! I love the color variations it has. Clematis was one of the flowers I dreamed of having for many years. SO when I got my first one I was in pure gardening heaven.

Schoolhouse,
    I am so glad you decided to give Clematis a try. They aren't as fussy as some have told me. The one I bought last year bloomed last year. I was thrilled! I don't know what it's name is either. It is a deep blue. It is loaded with bloom buds this year. I have it growing on the Rose Garden arbor (old potager) with Old Blush. Both are about to open. Both are loaded with blooms this year and very bushy. It does get more attention than my other one. [And BTW, my Old Blush is said to have no fragrance. Well, mine has gobs of fragrance. I took some cuttings to propagate more of it.]

The first Clematis I bought was supposed to be an old rose pale pink color. It turned out to be maroon, but I love it. It is growing on an arbor with New Dawn roses. It didn't bloom until the second season, and that was nothing spectacular, but I think that was because of the drought we had for two years. Since then it has really taken off and blooms a long time with big, beautiful blooms. Other than the spring feeding I give it, and occasional watering, it is on its own. No pampering. I have had it for over ten years now.

Good luck to you both with your beauties.
    ~Annie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have never had one that didn't bloom by the second year. This one is a rarity. I don't know why. I do like to keep very small one in a pot for a year to grow on and develop a better root system before planting out.

I don't think it is Asao. At least I have no memory of buying that one.

I had a magenta once that covered a fence post on the old farm. I loved it...never pruned it, never did anything to it. I think it was Earnest Markham. I want another one for the two fence posts at the corner of the yard.......but there are cows to consider.

14 years ago

How about Pink Champagne (syn Kakio). I got the books out and yours looks similar to this one.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annette, that name rings a bell! I believe you may have identified it. I shall now call it that until proven otherwise.

Thank you.

glenda

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

Sooooo pretty! No matter what the name!

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

Glenda ~ That is so pretty. I'm glad you finally have seen blooms on it after that many years.

FlowerLady

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annette, a lady in Texas (Clem Forum)just verified your name. She says it definitely is Pink Champagne and hers was very slow to come to bloom too.
    I better tag it before I forget again.

• irene_dsc
    14 years ago

I'm amazed at your patience - I'm sure I would've torn it out after that many years of not blooming! (Of course, I'm still waiting for my lilac to bloom, so maybe I shouldn't talk, lol).

14 years ago

Glenda the wait was worth it, it's a sleeping beauty waking from a nap. I say nap because I'm still waiting for the first blooms on my 14 or 15 year old Schizophragma. It now has the nickname Rip Van Winkle. Oh well, the foliage is nice and as it is climbing on my lath house it stays.

Annette

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do have a limit. I had a "fragrant" mock orange standing for 10 or so years without a single bloom, fragrant or otherwise. I took the chain saw to it last year! Enough was enough. I still don't have a fragrant one.

• memo3
    14 years ago

That is very pretty, Glenda! I love the nice big blossoms. Both of mine have small blossoms but the plants are loaded with buds every year. I guess that makes up for their size.

MeMo

Sponsored