Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

'If You Build it they will come'

gldno1
14 years ago

and they did. I saw a little wren on the porch last week so I dug through my box of old gourds and found one (actually made three more) that would work. I wired it in place one day and the next here is what we saw. It is right outside the window where the computer is so I got to watch the nest building. What fun to see the long twigs worked down the beak until the short end would fit into the hole....also a little pile of twig on the porch where they dropped them in the process.

They are house wrens. I actually think last week's sighting was a Carolina Wren. I hope they find a house out in the trees where I hung the others gourds.

We do enjoy the birds.
{{gwi:620673}}From Birds

I hope you can see the twig. I was shooting through the window and the curtains would often get in the way.{{gwi:620674}}From Birds

All pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Comments (9)

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

The sparrows chase all the wrens away from my houses. I would love to have a pair nesting near my back porch like you do.
    Very charming.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Aren't they the sweetest little things but they do pick the oddest places to nest :o).
    One day when we went out to hitch the boat up to go fishing, a little wren had started building a nest in the trailer hitch. I had one of those little birdhouses made out of a coconut shell so I attached it to the diningroom windowsill and took the nesting material from the winch and stuffed it in the shell. DH figured she'd abandon it but she moved right in and raised her family there.
    Another time one made a nest in a vase on it's side on a shelf up in the pool room (secret garden). They are one of my favorite birds, chickadees being my favorite.

Annette

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

What a treat, to be able to watch them from your window. Now I know what to do with my gourds!
    Renee

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

I hope you don't have much computer work to accomplish! I'd sit and watch them all day long and not get anything done. How cute and what fun!

• Annie
    14 years ago

Glenda,
    That is so cool!
    I love wrens, too.

I threw a dog blanket over the garden fence one time to leave for a few days so it would "air out". When I went to remove it, I discovered a wren had built her nest under it. I left it. They've built nests in the end holes of our clothesline T-posts. One year a wren built her nest in one of my hanging flower baskets. She let me know I was intruding when I got too close. I was able to water they plants UNDER her nest though. She wasn't a bit upset with me after she saw I posed no threat. They do love gourds for nesting places. Just don't cut the holes very big - 1/2 to 3/4 inches; then sparrows and other birds cannot get in them. Same deal with bluebird houses - 3/4 inch holes. No sparrows. Bring your gourds in for the winter every fall. Clean out all old nesting material. Dip them in bleach water solution and let dry outside. Then repaint or re-varnish them and and store. They will last for years.

Lucky you to get to watch the whole thing going down.
    They are pretty little birds.
    ~Annie

• memo3
    14 years ago

That is so sweet. How small are baby wrens when they hatch? I've never seen any babies.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie, thanks for the tips on the gourds. I made the hole 1-1/8" like the one I bought for my MIL. I have been seeing interested chickadees and titmice around the porch that worry me. I will make some more gourd houses soon and will make them the smaller size.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Last year's wrens. May 09.

{{gwi:620675}}

{{gwi:620676}}

{{gwi:620677}}

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think she is fussing at you!

Ours are still working on the nest...and the hummers are back.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH