{{gwi:620696}}

{{gwi:620698}}

{{gwi:620700}}

{{gwi:620702}}

{{gwi:620704}}

{{gwi:620706}}

{{gwi:620708}}

{{gwi:620710}}

A few of my earliest Irises and Clematis.

There are other Clemtis coming on and the irises are loaded with buds.

Comments (8)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Lovely Annie! What an amazing show!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Oh, thank you, thank you. I can come back and look at that shot of your red bitone irises over and over again. Your garden is so huge!

I also love your lavendar iris- I am partial to flowers that glow. What a treat.
    Renee

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Annie, the are all beautiful. That rose has gorgeous shading.

My iris are just beginning too...no roses yet.

I don't think our red irises are the same, but will check again when mine blooms. The beard on mine is more orange I think.

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The red one is called, 'Samauri Warrior'. Isn't it a beauty?
    A red Iris. Who would ever have thought they could come up with that out of the old purples? Take away the blue genes and you have red, I guess.
    GG sent me several starts of her Irises for the cost of the postage. I now have lots of each color.

I just went out to tend the chickens and etc., and there are lots of new ones blooming - more yellows of a different color, soft pink and one that is about to open that looks like it will be a claret pink (cerise?) color, and more that I didn't know the color of that I got from the house we bought in town. It will be interesting to see what they all turn out to be! I have a brown two-tone too, that will bloom soon. It is an amazing color! I LOVE irises! Their fragrance is like unto no other flower.

The Violet Clematis is covered in blooms this morning, as is the Old Blush Rose beside it. All the Lilies and Roses will soon be blooming. I wish they would all bloom at the same time. Wouldn't that be something? Just think of the bouquets one could make of that combination. Yummy!

Thanks for appreciating my hard work. Yes, I have an acre of flowers and garden...and weeds too. I grow the best weeds around (wink). I never get it completely under control. I wish it was all more tidy and properly kept, but it is what I am able to do now, so I have to settle for that and stop fretting over what I cannot do. It's just that you all have such gardens of perfection that it makes me want the same look. Darn ya, anyhow!

I have to make a run to the feedstore and vet's office for supplies, but will take more pix when I get back.

~Annie

• BecR
    13 years ago

Absolutely stunning Annie!!! :)

• dahli22
    13 years ago

wow! 'Samauri Warrior' is on my wish list.

• memo3
    13 years ago

Oh, Annie, you have the most beautiful Iris colors. I totally adore the one in pic #4 as well as Samuri Warrior. Just stunning. What is the plant in pic #11? I like that coloring and the variegated leaves really set off the blooms.

MeMo

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Memo,

I don't know what #4s name is. I got it from the rent house we bought a few years ago. It is lovely isn't it? It grows to about 4 ft with the bloom spikes. Very tall. The blooms are dainty little things atop those tall stalks.

The variegated plant with the multi-pink flowers is a Weigelia or Weigela shrub. It is still small. It just kinda sat there for two years, not doing much, not growing much. It had some blooms last year. This year, she took off - growing and beginning to bush out, and really putting on a show of blooms. It is a beautiful little bush. It will get to be a nice big bush someday ad I will take cuttings and spread her around. I thought it would be an evergreen, but it isn't, at least not here in my zone. It goes dormant in winter. I don't care with a show like that in spring, she deserves to rest in the winter! Thanks for noticing her.

I have another iris similar to the Samauri. It is called Hot Chocolate, I believe. In Mother's old garden growing under her pines, it was very chocolatey, but in my garden soil it is more of a Sienna, red-orange with brown veins in the darker sienna falls. I really wanted that brown color, but it is lovely just the same. It has a bright orange beard. It does look more brown in the shade though. Mother got her start of it from a friend gardener of hers.

I have other irises blooming now too. More new colors and various sizes. Lots of blues, pinks, purples, lilacs, but several yellows, cream, and whites (the most fragrant iris of all). Some are old-fashioned irises, some shorty ruffled ones, some tall with little blooms and some tall with gigantic blooms, some dwarfs with huge blooms. So many color combinations and varieties. What a year for irises!

~Annie

Sponsored