{{gwi:620994}}

Comments (10)

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Very pretty. I love violets.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love violets too, as long as they stay put as much as possible. For the past three years, I've had a huge patch of red violets in the orchard - today I noticed they are mostly gone. Must have been the heavy snow and cold temps??? Never knew that to hurt violets before. I'm disappointed, but there are still some scattered about so they probably will re-group sometime in the future.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I love them too but they have gotten out of control! My sis in Iowa has the red and she is digging me up a start. I have white, purple, and a sort of mix between the two.

This year the mix spread all through the grass on the north side of the shrub border where the lilacs are. We mowed them once, but I thought they looked so pretty, I didn't mow them the next time. I may live to regret it.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I let them grow wherever they wish in the orchard. I'm still confused as to why so many disappeared, I never mow over violet patches unless they are definitely in the way. Just had a thought - there are numerous mole holes down there, do you suppose they eat the roots of violets?

• token28001
    14 years ago

I love them. They cover the front hill in front of my house. I let them grow until they bloom, then mow the whole thing down. The vinca major planted among them keeps them in check, and vice versa. So far.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Very pretty, I love violets I have them all over the place, just pulling them where I don't want them. Most of mine white, purple and the rose colored ones have finished blooming but I have a few clumps of Labrador Violets blooming here and there. We used to also have the yellow ones years ago but they seem to have died out.

Annette

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I don't think the moles will hurt them. I have more moles than violets!!!

Come to think of it though, not on that side of the driveway.
    I think if we ever get rid of the Elm trees the moles will disappear.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

There's an upside to living on top of limestone. No moles.

k

• Annie
    14 years ago

Beautiful violets in a beautiful setting.
    I love violets too.
    I have four colors: Red-violet (is this what you call a red violet?), deep blue, pale blue, and a large flowering pale lilac & white combo.

I let them go everywhere with only control where they threaten to take over and crowd other things out. I love them around my stepping stones.

If you need a red, let me know.

~Annie

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I got rid of all the violets here a few years ago, thinking them "weedy" and they were in grass (although beautiful in spring, and I always picked bouquets for the violet scent in the house...) Luckily some survived, and when I made raised blueberry beds, I planted many violets in between the stones and around the edges. The greens are so good for you!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County