{{gwi:621516}}

Frequent Flyer with Paludosum Daisies

{{gwi:621518}}

Lady Friend and Total Recall

{{gwi:621519}}

Alice Goodman and Lady Friend

{{gwi:621520}}

New Leaf with Mariposa Autumn in the background

It finally rained in Southern California.

Renee

Comments (19)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

WOW! That is so beautiful! What do you do to your iris to get so many blooms? They are AMAZING! I also really love the giant calla lily!

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Renee, I logged on one more time before bed and this is what I see. Not only are your Irises beautiful, your entire garden is breathtaking. The colors, textures and the variety of the plants is wonderful, and I really want a Maid of Orange Iris now.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Schoolhouse said it all, it really is breathtaking.

Annette

• gldno1
    14 years ago

The whole garden is gorgeous. Love all the irises and the path winding through...all just wonderful.

I think the wet a few years ago killed my orange. This will be the year to know what I have left.

• dahli22
    14 years ago

i used to live in so calif and photos like this make me wonder why i left! it's truly stunning. i'm in awe. it should be in a garden magazine. congratulations!

• dahli22
    14 years ago

ok this is the fourth time today i have looked at these photos. you are a fierce gardener renee!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Your photos have left me speechless. Absolutely amazing and beautiful. What gorgeous lighting you got in some of the photos. Do you stake your foxglove? Your flowers look like they could be shown at the Chelsea Flower Show. Completely perfect.

• beautifulboy
    14 years ago

gorgeous I love the scale of the Irises together with the daisies

thanks for the pics!

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Santa Barbara daisies Renee?

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aw, shucks. Thanks guys- it makes all the labor worth it. I really appreciate your comments.

GGG- those are paludosum daisies, which reseed here. I just pull out the seedlings I don't want when I weed in the winter. I have Santa Barbara daisies too; I'll post a pic.

I am smitten with that Calla lily. It's Green Goddess, and believe it or not I bought a single package bulb from HD a few years ago, and it turned out to be a mutant. It's giant, it blooms all year here, and it can even take the sun in August. I planted more elsewhere, but they turned out to be normal Green Goddesses.

We got good rain here for the first time in 5 years. The foxgloves, my main indulgence, do not need staking yet since it has been unseasonably cool so far. They will keel over dead come the first hot day.

Renee

• memo3
    14 years ago

Stunning! Your garden is truly magazine worthy. Every single plant is perfect. I adore your giant Calla.

MeMo

• chouchou_gw
    14 years ago

What an artist you are. It is all beautiful!

• natalie4b
    14 years ago

This is what a dream garden looks like in my imagination and aspirations! Absolutely stunning!

• Annie
    14 years ago

NOW THAT is a cottage garden. Brovo! Encore! Encore!

Mother grew the giant white Callas on the north side of our house. We lived just outside of Fallbrook in North San Diego County. Do you know where that is? That is where I am from originally.

I cannot seem to grow Foxgloves here. Well, they grow, but not like yours and with all our winds, they must be staked. I have to grow them in semi-shade or they keel over, gasping and shriveling from the scorching winds. I keep trying though. Same with Delphiniums. One bloom and they are gone. No reseeding. They can be grown in other parts of Oklahoma, but I haven't been successful with either of them here on my place. Callas too. I miss Callas.

Everything about your garden is absolutely stunning!
    Love it! Love it! Love it!

Makes me homesick.

Post more photos, please.
    ~Annie

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

Renee, so do you basically treat your foxgloves like a spring annual then? I love them, but like you said, it's so hot here.

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL,love everything in your gardens.I'll have to come back when i have more time.

Sweetannie.i know where fallbrook is,i live in Oceanside.
    Kathi

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Those Foxgloves are gorgeous! You already know I love your iris but I will say it agasin. Iris are stunning.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Hey Kathi!

Well, it is so nice to meet someone from my home turf!
    Oceanside was where we spent our summers...at the beach!
    I went fishing off the pier with my grandfather, too.
    Camping on the beach (it was allowed back when) and Grunion hunting during the full of the moon. Searching tide pools at Carlsbad during low tide....oh the memories.
    And I will never forget driving through Kelsy's slough on our way to the beach in Carlsbad or Oceanside. My great-grandparents were friends with the Kelsy family who owned Rancho Agua Hedionda at one time (Agua Hedionda means "Stinking Water" - Ha!). I was intrigued with the place in spite of the stinky marsh water. Loved the water fowl that came there.

Part of my family still lives there in the Fallbrook area and all over the state.

Very cool, Kathi!

(Sorry about the HiJack, Renee)

~Annie

• susie_gardener_2007
    13 years ago

Not only are you a great gardener, you're a great photographer! I love your combinations. Outstanding! Thanks for posting all of these. It's such eye candy.

Susie