Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Spring Progresses in Atlanta

girlgroupgirl
14 years ago

This is a follow up to the last thread, and an addendum to my interaction with Flower Lady (which is funny, because in my neighborhood I am known as the Flower Lady by name! Everyone calls me that!) I'm trying to be patient with the progress of the whole property, and enjoy the garden as it is now. It has not been this nice in many years. Everything struggled in drought, and now is filling out nicely. That means having to tame a few things too (anyone know how to get rid of the perennial sweet peas I grew from seed so many years ago, which never flower and take over the universe as I know it?

On with the show!

{{gwi:621569}}

I wanted these pink chives so badly and several times I tried from "seed" only to find out that the man growing them here finds them to be sterile. But now I have them! Here's proof!!!

{{gwi:621572}}

The herb bed was renovated today. I finally found a pink rosemary at a good size. Hopefully it will survive!

{{gwi:621575}}

Main cottage garden: needs more purple/burgundy foliage! Needs to have three cement containers filled with something that is absolutely drought proof and will survive when I forget to water. Which is always.

{{gwi:621577}}

Gifted spirea and gifted rose. Both through Gardenweb!

{{gwi:621579}}

I am so pleased that this (again, gifted via gardenweb) iris and phlox look so great together! When i move the iris (has a habit not so great for the sidewalk), I'll move some phlox too!

{{gwi:621581}}

I never buy iris. Here's a dwarf plum iris with yellow falls from a GW trade. I love how it looks with the dwarf forsythia (from Bluestone) - the overlapping flower time is fleeting, but worth it!

{{gwi:621583}}

Betsy Boo iris (again, from a GW trade!!!) and the original pink flamingo from my friend Dirk. What a match!

{{gwi:621585}}

Happiness is a white iris blooming with red columbine in the red/white/blue garden. Right now there are no blues, but plenty of red and whites. I need some blue columbines!

Comments (14)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

GGG, it looks wonderful! Where did you get the great stones and is the wide path concrete or stone or what?

Love the iris, particularly that plum colored one.

You have placed everything perfectly.

I have forgotten, do you also grow edibles in your Cottage Garden (perfect name for your garden).

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gldno1, the path is simply the original path, smashed and replaced - broken concrete! It has been there now for about 8 years and the pea gravel is well packed. The raised beds are mixed concrete and Pennsylvania field stone. I love it, but the Penn. stone is now too expensive here and I will go with more local stone in the back.
    I don't grow veggies in the herb garden now. I did at one time but perennials are really edging them out (this is a very small space) but there are oodles of edible herbs. The herb bed is just herbs, but everywhere else is carpeted with thymes and oreganoes, and I did not take a photo of the driveway slope which is filled with rosemary and scented herbs (santolina) and more oregano and thyme.

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

Glenda ~ I love your flowers, and to think quite a few of them are from GW is really neat. I'm sorry your back/side yard has been such a fiasco for you. Patience is a virtue I'm trying to learn also.

I love your spirea and your irises. That purple fence is just so striking and happy looking.

I can definitely see why your neighborhood calls you Flower Lady. DH is the one that thought of FlowerLady as my online name about 10 years ago.

Enjoy all that wonderful beauty that you have there.

FlowerLady in FL

• ashli
    14 years ago

Your yard is very pretty already....such healthy looking plants.
    I love that lavender? purple? fence...What color did you use? I don't believe that I've ever seen a fence painted that color. (But I don't get out much)

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank-you everyone. Ashli the fence was a Duron color and they have changed all the names. It looks like now they call it Lavish Lavender but it was once called Wild Iris.

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

A pretty retreat, very cottagey as they say here. :) Is that a Japanese maple? I come close to buying one every year but don't have the patience because I've heard they are slow growers.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

A pink rosemary, I didn't know they come in pink. Glynis you have created a cottage garden full of charm. I love your stone work, not an easy to do as it looks. Ask me how I know this LOL.

Annette

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

GGG ~ I just realized I called you by the wrong name and I apologize.

FlowerLady

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Flowerlady, I don't mind. With our Glenda, that's a compliment!

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Those first few shots of your garden with all of the stone and the pots really interest me. Your maple, the way you put it all together, it's wonderful. Thanks for sharing it.
    Renee

• dahli22
    14 years ago

girlgroup what an eye for color you have! the purple fence with the bright green maple leaves and the flowers...what a visual treat.

• memo3
    14 years ago

GGG, The stone work in your gardens is just wonderful. I can't imagine the hours of hard labor you have put in for that but I must say that it was worth every minute. Your flower combinations are so pretty together and I just love that plum iris with the forsythia! Thanks for sharing.

MeMo

• token28001
    14 years ago

Beautiful. Remind me in the fall, I have a bluish sort of columbine.

You should toss out larkspur seeds this fall. It's a great blue.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank-you all for being kind to the little garden! I'm just so thrilled that after many years of drought and just getting things to survive, everything looks wonderful and lush this year. We just sit out there in the evenings looking at it all, myself, DH and the 6 cats. The cats LOVE the garden even if they can't be IN the garden anymore (I keep them all inside now).
    I do have larkspur, token. It's taking it's time to come to fruition this year - but there is lots of it, mostly in purple and grey/purple pinkish tones. We are having very cool nights in relation to day temps, so it's an interesting year. However, it's keeping the chartreuse colors very golden, which I like!
    Schoolhouse, that maple is now 9 years old I think! Yes, a VERY SLOW grower but not all of them are. This is in a rather inhospitable place for a Japanese Maple. One of the few varieties that can stand hot, full day Southern sun but I tell you, I think that it's hard on it! This year there is marked growth (no growth last 3 years) and I don't bend so much to get under. It's supposed to grow another several feet, and I've trained the canopy over the little walkway so it will arch to get onto the mini patio area. The patio finally cracked this year with water and freezing temps, so I hope the whole thing hangs on to get the full effect in a few years :)
    One thing I love about photos, is they help the eye. I realize I need much more dark purple foliage in here - it's a small, hot area, that's hard to find for this area - basil will do the trick this year though!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus