Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

May flowers NorCA garden, Pt 1

jakkom
12 years ago

Plantmaven's request pushed me into getting new batteries into my camera and taking photos. Our rains have pretty much ended and we are shifting into summer; the hills are already beginning to turn from fresh green to dry gold.

Most of the plants I photographed in March (two threads here titled March flowers NorCA) are still in bloom, so these are only the plants that you haven't seen yet this year. I'll split this up into two threads so it won't take quite so long to load.

A new plant put in last month has bloomed: Sisyrinchium striatum 'Aunt May'

{{gwi:621621}}

Santa Barbara daisy and purple trailing lantana (L. montevidensis) mix it up:

{{gwi:621622}}

Floribunda Rose 'Margaret Merrill' fully opened - my favorite because of its sweet scent and floriferous habit:

{{gwi:621623}}

Floribunda Rose 'Intrigue':

{{gwi:621625}}

Shrub rose 'Electric Blanket' - it branched in two different directions, but really is just one plant. Extraordinarily tough and floriferous:

{{gwi:621627}}

Tea rose 'Double Delight' - the last one left from its first flush:

{{gwi:621629}}

Grandiflora 'Delany Sisters' is always the last to bloom:

{{gwi:621631}}

My 'Joseph's Coat' climbing rose is in bloom, but all the flowers are straight up at the top, 9' high and I couldn't get a good picture of it!

This red pelargonium with dark variegated leaves gets pretty denuded in winter's chill, but recovers quickly as you can see. These are its first blooms of the year. We're on a downhill slope and it lives completely on runoff during our 6-month dry season:

{{gwi:621633}}

The white pelargonium also lives completely on runoff, but is more protected from drafts and so always looks good year-round:

{{gwi:621635}}

The nasturtiums have finally bloomed. Spring was so cold overall they are a full month late. These are dark canna leaves popping up which form a nice contrast:

{{gwi:621637}}

Purple trailing lantana - this one lives on runoff and has never been out of bloom since being put in the ground in 2003:

{{gwi:621640}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored