Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengranny2_gw

Mostly Pink (photo heavy)

gardengranny2
13 years ago

I was issuing a response (including photos) to a previous post when it occurred to me that so much of my spring garden is PINK (summer garden seems mostly yellow to my recollection). There are many other colors present now, to be sure, but still mostly pink.

The evidence follows:

Kolkwitzia amabillis aka 'Beauty Bush'

{{gwi:622843}}

'Blushing Knockout' with fringed leaf bleeding heart and ladies mantle along with a touch of 'Palace Purle' heuchera

{{gwi:622844}}

Peony 'Bowl of Beauty' with unknown pale lavender iris and salvia 'Caradonna'

{{gwi:622845}}

From a different angle

{{gwi:622846}}

Longer shot

{{gwi:622847}}

This bed has two of these single peonies. I don't know the name but I have them in other beds as well.

{{gwi:622848}}

Close up of a single bloom of the same peony

{{gwi:622849}}

Bearded Iris-don't know the name of this one either. Have them in various beds around the garden. They are extremely prolific.

{{gwi:622850}}

Wiegela- these are also in various locations around the garden

{{gwi:622851}}

Another

{{gwi:622852}}

Shrub Border with Beautybush and Blushing Knockout roses among others

{{gwi:622853}}

I was hoping to be able to include my favorite Sarah Bernhardt peony, but a major thunderstorm came through late last night and she was beaten to the ground with her blossoms only partly open.

What is the color of your garden in spring?

Comments (16)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Oh, who cares? I want to talk about YOUR garden.

I have never seen a Beautybush, but now I know how it got its name. That first photo of yours has me ready to move to another state so that I can grow that.

The photo of your Bowl of Beauty peony with the irises and the other beds in the background are stunning. What is the purple spiky flower?

And that last photo- what is the second-to-the-last shrub in the border? The last one is another Beauty Bush, right? Then- is that a viburnum or a dogwood? I could sit on your bench for days and love every minute of it. Thank you for taking the time to post these photos of your garden.

Renee

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Lovely, lovely. You can't go wrong with pinks and blues and lavenders. I love the single peonies. I have a couple. I appreciate that they don't fall to the ground when it rains!

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Your gardens are Magnificent,my favorite is the first picture also,but i do love it all,as i love the pinks,purples combos.TFS
    kathi

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

wow, so gorgeous! I've never heard of beauty bush before, it's stunning!

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

Unrelentingly gorgeous (she wrote enviously).

Could the single peony be Seashell?

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

All beautiful!! I particular love the contrasts in your last photo. Do you know what variety of acer palmatum, the purple shrub, is?

Save me a spot on that bench, and a glass of iced tea, and I will be by for a visit and to share the beautiful views. Thanks fo sharing.
    -Sprout

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Pink must be your color as everything looks great. Things around here are a jumble of color, both in spring and in summer. Maybe because I don't have peonies.

You have such beautiful shrubs with room for them to grow. So much room :-)) In my small garden everything is smushed together, including the shrubs.

• gardengranny2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For hosenemesis: Yes, that is viburnum plicatum tomentosum 'Mariessii'. More photos

{{gwi:622854}}

{{gwi:622855}}

For sprout wi: That is japanese maple 'Tamukeyama'. Here is a different angle.

{{gwi:622856}}

This is my glorious 'Crimson Queen'. She gets center stage in our front lawn.

{{gwi:622857}}

Other side

{{gwi:622858}}

• gardengranny2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So sorry for all the duplications. I don't know whether I did something wrong or if it was photobucket.

I tried to make a correction but it said 'Message Rejected'.

Sorry for the screwup.

Liz

• dahli22
    13 years ago

wow woman! your garden is incredible!! i love love everything and your 'Beauty Bush' is unreal! from the form of it, it almost looks like a big animal!

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

Ok, those are gorgeous, love the island beds, but something is bugging me,lol. I dont know if I need to go get glasses on or what, but is that a white straw hat on the iris in the 4th pic (and the 5th)? In #4 it is the iris right to the left of the peony which is located center of the pic, 2/3 the way down.
    Tammy

• gardengranny2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tammy, after looking back at the photo in question, I can understand your confusion.

But, no. The hat belongs on the head of a little boy statue who is almost totally obscurred by foliage at this point. He will become quite visible as soon as I cut back the salvia 'Caradonna' directly in front of him.

You did give me quite a laugh with your question.

Liz

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

aaaaaah! SO PRETTY!!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

GG2, I planted 6 V. plicatum 'Maresii' to the right of my driveway to "hide" what will someday be my english garden. I can only hope that in time they will look as beautiful as yours! It is huge! How long has it been in. Your gardens are so beautiful and I love the mature shrubs. They add so much drama to your borders.

In the picture with the 2 wiegelas and the gazing globe, what is blooming dark pink in the upper right? I can't make it out. It looks like either a huge rhodie or perhaps Aesculus? Whatever it is, it's beautiful!

• gardengranny2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For thyme2dig: 'Mariessii' has been in the ground since 2003. Please beware--I just lost one that had been in my garden for over 12 yrs due to viburnum leaf beetles. At my request, DH cut it down to 18" only yesterday. Hate to use chemicals, but this required drastic measure to save the viburnum. Applied Bayer 3 in 1 for roses. Will apply
    imidiclopid (for grub prevention usually) in the next few days. Hope these measures can save it.

As for the photo with the 2 wiegelas--the dark pink blooms in the upper right belong to rhododendron 'Nova Zembla'.

• carrieburgess3
    13 years ago

Liz, your home and gardens are fantastic. Everything is so neat and tidy. I love your colour scheme. Your gardens looks just perfect!!!

Carrie

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor