Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Vignette just inside double garden gate

gldno1
13 years ago

I love that word vignette....I have to think in those terms because some of my long shots aren't the best combinations. I do too much sticking stuff in the first bare spot I can find!

Anyhow, I thought this one worked out pretty well. I think that will be a yellow heirloom iris in the back.
{{gwi:622943}}From Clematis

Comments (20)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Now that makes a very pretty picture, I love vignettes too.

Annette

• blueberryhills
    13 years ago

ooooooo, that's pretty!

• themayocynic
    13 years ago

Very pretty. Those clematis are gorgeous!

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Just goes to show how different textures and complimenting colors make the loveliest statement in a garden - er, vignette. :)

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

beautiful!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I love the purple iris with the white spot- it's a perfect companion to your white irises and clematis.
    Renee

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FYI, the white iris is Immortality ( reblooms for me)the spotted one is Suky also a rebloomer. The clematis is H.F. Young to the left is just regular garden sage. There will be a small lavender Munstead right by the gate post later on.

• Annie
    13 years ago

That is what my Clematis looks like. I bought it at Wally World....no name, just labeled "Clematis". Now I know what she be.

That is quite the picture. Gorgeous! (I know I use that word a lot, but what else can I say about beautiful flowers in beautiful gardens?)

I have Immortality too. Isn't she the most fragrant Iris of all? Oh, a yellow iris in the back will be eye popping. I love those color combinations with the white to add contrast with the dark blue violets and greens.

The Bronze Fennel and blooming Garden Sage tucked in there are perfect companions with their finer textures and colors. Lovely, Lovely.

You did it girl! Beautiful Vignette, I reckon!

~Annie

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Just stunning!

k

• carrieburgess3
    13 years ago

What a pretty combination!!!

Carrie B.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

That is such a pretty picture. Has the yellow iris joined the show yet?

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

This is very lovely. I really like that garden sage in there, such a nice combination!

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

What a sweet, old-fashioned lovely vignette. Like Annie, I noticed the bronze fennel too. I need to get some seeds of that again, as it is so pretty, smells wonderful and the butterflies/caterpillars love it. You have some really wonderful bloomers there at the farm. It is always a treat to see your different gardens.

FlowerLady

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:622944}}From Gardening 2010

Thank you dear gardening friends.

I took another picture after the yellow iris opened. BTW, I have bronze fennel coming up by the gadzillions right around that area and there is some just east of that in front of some daylilies and there is one in the cistern planter by the back door....you get the idea. THEY SELF-SEED!

I think the sage is more showy now too. The baptisia isn't fully opened yet.

• dahli22
    13 years ago

everything looks so healthy and happy!

• User
    13 years ago

Oh that is a very sweet combination. I love the word vignette and am always trying to schieve that look with my colors/textures. You sure did it. c

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

That's a perfect illustration of why I like 'monochrome' plantings in the garden - see how beautifully things cascade from the clematis, through the irises to the small blue flowers (which are what..)? An inspired planting!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woody, the small blue is just plain old garden sage that we used for seasoning. I let it bloom before cutting it back because I like it. Just out of sight is a tall spikey blue, baptisia pendula.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Baptisia sounds perfect to continue the flow. I have a big patch of ordinary sage for the flowers too - I didn't recognize it though without seeing the foliage :-)

Have you considered moving that very nice yellow iris and replacing it with something dark? I think something dark (not sure what.. ) would provide more contrast and highlight the purple-blues better. The yellow has about the same 'value' as the blues so is less of a contrast. (Try looking at the picture in black and white - the yellow is likely pretty much the same shade of gray as the clematis I think.)

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Really pretty but the last picture is my favorite after the yellow iris opened.

Sponsored