Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irene_dsc

The shady areas

irene_dsc
14 years ago

Ok, so it's taken me a while, but here are the new plants I got at the garden club plant sale. These aren't the greatest pictures - maybe I'll try again another time when it isn't lunchtime! In the meantime, the columbine aren't doing too well. One I think didn't have a very big set of roots, and another already has a ton of leafminers, which is how my old planting of columbine (at the old house) eventually succumbed. So, that's a bit frustrating.

This area isn't too exciting, but since we eventually hope to have a patio here, it can't get too deep. I still need something that can deal with dry shade under the eave, too. Plus, by the corner of the house we'd like a screen porch - so some of this stuff is relatively temporary. We enlarged the planting area mainly to help drainage away from the house - but then I couldn't just leave it bare!

{{gwi:623293}}

{{gwi:623294}}

The new plant that is doing the best is the dicentra from my MIL's garden, actually, even though I moved it in full bloom!

I also am posting the side yard that needs a lot of work - the one that I described as being the closest to a woodland feel as there is on our property, lol. But, that definitely won't be this year's project...

{{gwi:623295}}

Comments (7)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

I think it is wonderful Irene! Give them a little time and they will fill the area and be beautiful!
    I have been sitting here trying to figure out what that large plant in the first pic is, as I really like the looks of it. Thalictrum or Vancouveria maybe? I like the ferny foliage.
    Thank you for sharing pictures of your new space!
    CMK

• irene_dsc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Christine -
    Thanks! Do you mean all the way to the right? That's my Geranium Samobar - I've shown pictures of it before, but it's been a while. I got it at the Bluestone half-off sale a couple of years ago, thinking it was a three-pack. I probably never would've splurged if I'd realized it was a one-fer, but I've been very happy with it. (That was actually the first time I tried doing that back area, but we mainly did the area under the eave. The geranium was the only thing that we bowed out beyond the eave, since it is next to the a/c condenser, and that plus one hosta are the only things that survived. I think I did some columbine at that time, too - if none of these columbine survive, I think I am giving up on them!)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

Now why didn't I see that! It certainly didn't look like a geranium from far away, but now I see it.
    I too have a Samobar. I think it has set seed all over the original area. Lots of babies! I probably should not have let it set seed.
    Thanks for showing!
    CMK

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Irene, things are looking good. That shady, woody area would be perfect for lots of hostas. Another quick fill for the other spot would be lamiums, especially if you would catch them on sale at Bluestone. Mine have been blooming since early April and still look good. They might overtake your other plants though, but would be a quick fill.

Your geranium looks wonderful. I have killed so many, I gave up.

• irene_dsc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol on the lamium - I just planted some around the maple in front, where the grass won't grow! I'm hoping it will spread - I've pretty much gone through my garden budget for the year, so I didn't put in nearly as many as I'd like. I've already got a bunch of ideas for the side garden - I probably want to add a large-ish hydrangea, tho I haven't decided which one. I've also got some other ideas, tho I'm blanking on some of them. For groundcover, I want to find the shiny version of pachysandra - it is so much nicer than the normal stuff.

CMK - I just wish my samobar would self-seed! That would be awesome - I'd have them all over my shady areas! I'll have to remember not to cut it back too early this year...

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

Irene, I've had trouble with leafminers and my white columbines also. I have two separate plants, two different beds, on either side of porch. Both of them got leafminers! None of my other plants have been touched by them. Is there anything you can do about them? Wonder why they go for columbines?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Irene, you've got a good start on your shady beds it won't be long before they fill in and be spilling over with lushness. How about Maidenhair ferns, I love them so I pop them in wherever I can.
    Has anyone tried BioNeem a Safer's product? I was just reading leaf miners are one of the pests it's used on. I have a lot of Columbine this year, mostly self seeders, at least something didn't mind our cold winter. I haven't seen any sign of leaf miner yet but I have had it in previous years.

Annette

Sponsored