Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

It's a jungle out there...

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

...a hollyhock jungle, that is. These guys are huge this year, the wet Spring must be to their liking; however crowding like this only causes more yellowing. Ah well, such are hollyhock gardens. (there are other plants on the other side of the fence just as big)

{{gwi:623371}}

Comments (9)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I adore them. I can't wait to see the blooms, schoolhouse. Here they get rust and weevils, and this stunts the growth so much they don't bloom. Boo hoo.
    Renee

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I can't wait to see them! I have a hard time growing them here too. But I love them!!! Schoolhouse, that's going to look amazing!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have hollyhocks growing a number of other places around the house and out buildings this year - even along the field edge where I threw some spent stalks last year.

They keep moving down the length of that picket fence and pretty soon I'll not have room for the morning glories I plant at the end of it every year. Likewise, my plan to plant the apricot zinnias near the Heavenly Blues may not work out for the same reason. But I do love hollyhocks.

• Annie
    13 years ago

That is beautiful. Going to be gorgeous in bloom.

We are having a good year with all our precip too.
    Did you ever find those Tasha Tudors? Let me know. I can send you a plant or two or more seeds, or both, whichever you'd prefer.
    Hope you are faring well.
    How's Mr. Kitty cat now?

~Annie

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I have hh self seeded all over the place. But most of mine are the pale yellow ones that have morphed from the original perennial yellow one I started with. Disease is such a problem here on them that they often don't get to the bloom stage. I do love them when they are well grown. They just belong in cottage and farm gardens.

• armyyife
    13 years ago

Oh I can't wait for you to show pic's when they are in bloom. I have a few that came up and are looking good too but not as many as I had hoped.

• token28001
    13 years ago

Very nice. You'll have to show us later what they look like in bloom. Can't really grow them here either, so I opt to grow Malva. It holds up to our humidity better and usually blooms the first year from seed. I've had a couple hollyhocks bloom from seed the first year, but none have made it all the way through the summer to bloom the second year. Doesn't mean I don't want them still.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I noticed this morning that one has begun to discolor pretty badly on the lower leaves, so take that into consideration later when I snap photos. I tend to remove as much damaged foliage as I can during the season and it doesn't seem to bother them. The plant doesn't look as nice that's all.

One thing to keep in mind about hollyhocks, they prefer poor soil and thrive on neglect. They pop up in the most unusual places around here, and no need to fertilize. They don't care for it. At least that's been my experience.

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

That us a lovely jungle. I do love hollyhocks and would love to see pictures when they bloom. I had them here for ywars but they all died of rust last summer. So I really need to find some more.

Sponsored