Double Knockout Roses

{{gwi:623384}}

A Section of the front yard.

{{gwi:623385}}

Siberian Iris near the woods.

{{gwi:623386}}

Nasturtiums and Catmint

{{gwi:623387}}

Section of Roses and Lilies near my front porch. The roses just have started blooming and the lilies have a long way to go before blooms.

{{gwi:623388}}

Heres were a made a new garden bed this spring planting daylilies and lily bulbs. The lilies still need aways to go before blooming and its no were near time for daylilies to bloom.

{{gwi:623390}}

Lots of roses starting to bloom now.

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

So much to see, and so much to look forward to.
    It would be a joy to visit in person and walk around and have you call all their names.
    I last visited LI nearly 25 years ago; I doubt it happens again. I do enjoy your pics.

Nell

• frogview00
    14 years ago

Rita....Do you spray your roses? The leaves are pristine.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Normally I would say yes I do spray. But I was so busy this spring with all my planting that I only got to spay for the first time this year a week ago Friday. That means I am due to spray again this Friday. The roses stayed really clean. But now I will keep spraying all summer and fall as they do not stay clean if I don't spray.

Thanks Nell, I will keep posting things as they bloom this summer.

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

GORGEOUS, RITA.Those are the healthest roses I have seen in a long time.Your gardens is amazing, so beautiful.

Jean

• User
    14 years ago

I saw a Bayer product that is systemic and you mix it up and pour it around the base of the plant every 6 weeks...it says it takes care of BS and feeds the roses too. Is this as good as their spray that you are using? It seemed a lot easier. One thing it says you can't use it on the potted roses and I have several in pots. So can you use the spray you are using on the ones in pots? Sorry for all the questions but your roses are amazing. c

• ladypat1
    14 years ago

That pic of the lily bulb bed will be amazing. Can't wait to see them bloom! Pat

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ladypat- The lily bulb with daylilies bed was a new idea I got this spring. I have that row of Serviceberry shrubs which are the backdrop. Then theres a row of old Mary Todd yellow daylilies in front of the shrubs. My first idea was to plant more rows of daylilies in front but I am also crazy about bulb lilies so I decided to put in some rows of lily bulbs there also and finish off with more daylilies.

That stringline was so I could get that front row of daylilies in straight. Then I have more daylilies comeing for the last row in front so I have to use the stringline again. Then I will put some edging pavers to finish off that garden bed.

I put over 120 lily bulbs in there so it should be quite the show. Used Trumpets, Asiatics and some fancy hybrids.

trailrunner- I think you are talking about the Bayer 3 in one. You don't need it. Only treat for insects if there is a big problem, not just because. Fertilizer is better off added as you need it and not overdosed with the spraying. All you need and all I use is the fungicide. Its Bayer Desease Control for Roses and it should be sprayed everytwo weeks.

• Annie
    14 years ago

Again,
    Your roses are spectacular.
    Your entire garden is stunning!
    I love your use of the pavers. Very neat and attractive.

I am using the Bayer 3 in one. I used it last year with very good results. Only had to use it twice. I may get some of the spray, though if I can get results like yours! I use rabbit manure for fertilizer. It works wonderfully well and improves my horrible soil.

My soil is very sandy layered over red sandstone bedrock. It dries out way too quickly. I keep adding compost, humus, and peat, and it definitely improving my gardens. I would think I had died and gone to heaven if I had a garden like yours, though. Professional quality and beautiful layouts.

~Annie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I use lots and lots of leaves from the fall as mulch. It really does help improve the soil. But I did put compost in all my rose beds and I know they liked that.

It took me literally years to get to this point. I just keep working on it. I had professional come in and do the rockwall and the stacked block terraces. Otherwise the garden is designed and planted (and maintained) by me.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

What a treat to see the gardens this morning. I will be enjoying them all summer.

You are truly a gardener's gardener! I can tell you are loving it and it shows.

Do you have a huge area to garden?

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

Your gardens are a treat every year. What a delight they must be to you. You inspire me to keep working on our little gardens here. I can't grow the same things, but I will work with what grows here. All of your roses are wonderful.

FlowerLady

• User
    14 years ago

OK that does it. I am going to get over to Lowes and get some. I have been picking off yellow/blackspotted leaves every day. The new ones are looking great but there are some every day. My poor cl Cecille Brunner has lost so many leaves ...she is blooming her heart out though. I will let you know how we do. I did get some of the rose tone and put it on. They all are growing and blooming so I know I am doing something right but I hate the yellow/bs leaves. THANK YOU so much for the advice. c

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Look, everyone will not agree with the way I do it. I can only say what works for me.

But I don't believe in many of the things I read or hear about roses. Number one I think is hooey is that roses neeed pleanty of air circulation in order not to get blackspot. Bonkers, one that loves to blackspot for me is Lemon Drop, all my itself in a little corner section, nothing planted around it gets all the "air" you could want. Meanwhile other roses in the rose beds, many 18 inches to 2 feet apart stay clean.

As to planting roses 3 to 6 feet apart, I just about fall on the floor laughing at THAT idea. I don;t have all that room to waste. I do not like giants of roses, if they get too big, I cut them back. I hate the look of mulch between plants. I like things in one continuous mass of bloom.

Yes, there are some tiny accress areas and paths. But mostly theres lots and lots and lots of plants here.

• PattiOH
    14 years ago

It was a pleasure to view your lovely gardens.
    Everything looks great!

Patti

• bluesunflower
    14 years ago

I don't know whether to be encouraged or discouraged. Your roses are the most healthy looking roses I think I have seen. I hope to one day be able to grow roses as well as you. It is really too bad that we couldn't get a smell option with those pictures. Nothing better than the scent of roses in the garden. Beautiful!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH