Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

May blooms.

token28001
13 years ago

I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

{{gwi:623727}}

{{gwi:623729}}

{{gwi:623731}}

{{gwi:623733}}

{{gwi:623735}}

{{gwi:623737}}

{{gwi:623739}}

{{gwi:623741}}

{{gwi:623743}}

{{gwi:623745}}

Comments (13)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Breathtaking. I can't wai until those daylilies bloom! What a sight that must be.
    I would love to see more of your grassy paths and rock borders. Your yard looks like something out of my "English Garden" magazine, especially in the first and sixth photos.
    Renee

• token28001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Renee. I haven't seen the daylilies bloom yet with the roses in the background. I just installed these two areas last year, so nothing is mature yet. I'm still waiting on the lavender to make a show. There's blue salvia in there too and Veronica that will add purple tones between the roses. My favorite plant by far is the Elymus arenarius 'Blue Dune'. It's the stiff, spiky silver grass.

I took one photo this afternoon from the front steps. I have two sets of stairs to reach the front door. This is on the path/landing between the two. This is what I refer to as the Perennial Bed. Lots of annuals are in there too, but I created it mostly for perennials. I started it in the fall of 2008 and wintersowed the majority of the plants.

Sweet Williams and larkspur are blooming by the arbor. Two clematis, Carolina Jasmine, and Golden Showers climbing rose are on the arbor itself. None have filled in much this year. The hottest part of the bed at the corner of the street and the driveway receives about 6 hours of sun. The back corner near the tree might see 2 in late evening.

{{gwi:623747}}

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Everything is looking good! You have done an amazing job in such a short time.

I love the view down to the arbor.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Lovely Token! Is that red flax in one of those photos?

• Annie
    13 years ago

That has really come along beautifully! You sure worked your tail off to get that far in just a year's time. Wow!
    How's the area by the front steps looking this year? Did you ever plant Darlow's Enigma roses on the driveway side of your house?
    Please post more pics.

~Annie

• Annie
    13 years ago

Oh, never mind.

I looked at your pictures again and I can see the roses on the trellises. I like the beds along there. Very beautiful.

• token28001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everybody. I like being able to share with other gardeners.

Here's a closer view I took this morning of the arbor.

{{gwi:623749}}

I think what you might be seeing GGG is Dianthus Maiden Pink.

{{gwi:385903}}

Or maybe Rose campion.

{{gwi:623750}}

Along the house side of the driveway, I've planted knockouts. I got them cheap last year thanks to a sale we were having at the store. The sunny Knockout was purchased in 2008 and is growing much faster than the red ones. I have a single solitary pink one that was supposed to be red. Oh well, I'll need to make more.

{{gwi:623751}}

There's also some red valerian in the perennial bed. I hear it reseeds heavily. I sure hope so.

{{gwi:623752}}

This is from a couple weeks ago, and a lot of the blooms are fading now. Four O'clocks will fill the majority of this bed. Most of them are white.

{{gwi:623754}}

On the arbor, I have Golden Showers climbing rose and Carolina Jasmine planted with two clematis. I think this one is HF Young. There was no tag.

{{gwi:623755}}

The other side has etoile violette as shown above. It was also unlabeled.

I didn't do much aside from planting things I sowed over the winter. I had another big year this past winter for the backyard which is just coming into its own right now. Next year, it should be just as floriferous. Here's an example from my blog post today.

February 17, 2008. I created this bed that day.

{{gwi:623756}}

May 13, 2010.

{{gwi:623757}}

I love watching things fill in. I remind myself a lot through old pictures of what it used to look like. Still a ways to go in my mind, but there's already been so much change that I doubt the tenant who was living here when I bought the house would recognize it. Both inside and out.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Mmmmm...that is fantastic!
    I think it's awesome!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Lovely pictures of beautiful gardens. I especially love the picture with the arbor and the gardens.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

What an amazing garden you have created from mainly wintersowing. It's just beautiful.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Token, yes. A red dianthus is what I see. I did not have my glasses on last night! Thank-you for more photos. Lovely.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Very pretty token - It has been a pleasure seeing your gardens develop over the past two years both here and on the WS forum - thanks for sharing :) ......

Lynne

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

Tom ~ I just can't get over all that has transpired in your gardens in such a short period of time. I just love all of your purples. Your clone machine, your grit, determination and what you have created, all inspire me.

FlowerLady

Sponsored