Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Mid-spring roses in my gardens (pic heavy)

Annie
13 years ago

As requested by GGG:

Rosa, Midas Touch

{{gwi:623771}}

Rosa, New Day

(grown from a cutting off my first plant)

{{gwi:623772}}

Starts out soft yellow and ages to a buttery white

Rosa, Betty Boop

{{gwi:623773}}

Rosa, Chicago Peace

{{gwi:623774}}

Rosa, Just Joey

{{gwi:623775}}

Rosa, Tiffany (just beginning to open)

{{gwi:623777}}

Rosa, Gartendirecktor Otto Linne

(2nd year - just beginning to bloom)

{{gwi:623779}}

Small dark pink blooms in clusters - very fragrant.

Rosa, Centenaire de Lourdes

Large drooping blooms with a super fragrance.

{{gwi:623781}}

Rosa, Joseph's Coat

Starts out orange, then turns yellow and then finishes bright pink. Smells divine. (climbing, but can be pruned into a shrub)

{{gwi:623782}}

Rosa, Carnival (miniature)

This 16 yr old rose nearly died due to voles munching on its roots, so I potted it up last year and it recovered nicely. I will set it out in this new location soon.

{{gwi:623784}}

Rosa, New Day

(parent plant)

{{gwi:623786}}

Rosa, Ispahan (myrrh fragrance - rambler)

(originally from Iran)

This is my favorite rose of all. Blooms once in Spring, but lasts for 4 wks. It has the strongest and most delicious fragrance of all roses.

{{gwi:623788}}

Rosa, Ispahan

Same rose bush from another side with peony and Spriea, Goldflame between them and Flowering Pink Almond which blooms very early in Spring.

{{gwi:623789}}

Rosa, Iceburg

Four ft. tall and loaded with large blooms this year. It is a beautiful rose. Likes afternoon filtered sun/part shade and protection from hot wind.

{{gwi:623790}}

Rosa, Iceburg, close-up

{{gwi:623791}}

Rosa, Belinda's Dream

{{gwi:623792}}

Following week, same bloom:

This bloom lasted for nearly two weeks. The spots are from all the rain. Absolutely my favorite shrub rose. Fabulous fragrance.

{{gwi:623793}}

Rosa, Ballerina

{{gwi:623794}}

Rosa Ballerina, close-up

{{gwi:623795}}

Rosa, New Dawn

Planted in 1997 - mother plant of my others

{{gwi:623796}}

Growing on an arbor and up onto the roof of our carport.

Same rose

{{gwi:623797}}

Rosa, Stars and Stripes (miniature)

(very fragrant)

{{gwi:623798}}

Rosa Ballerina & Iceburg with Irises

{{gwi:623799}}

Rosa, Red Blaze (cl)

First year after being cut severely back

{{gwi:623800}}

Rosa, Damask

Unknown

Super fragrant-Once blooming

{{gwi:623804}}

Rosa, Lavender Lace (miniature - silvery lavender blooms) with Rosa, Damask hugging it on the left and in the back.

{{gwi:623806}}

Rosa, Peace

Softer and different colors than the other Peace I have.

{{gwi:623809}}

JP beetles chewed on it a little before I sprayed.

Rosa, Red Knockout

{{gwi:623811}}

Peony, white

{{gwi:623813}}

Another bloom on same peony - side view.

{{gwi:623815}}

I have several of these. One has little dark pink specks.

I'll finish with a close-up of my favorite rose - Rosa, Ispahan.

{{gwi:623817}}

These are most but not all of my roses and peonies.

Thank you for looking.

~Annie

Comments (22)

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Very beautiful, every one of them. Is the Ispahan what is sometimes called a cabbage rose? It's wonderful.

• roper2008
    13 years ago

You have lots of roses. Can't decide which is my favorite, they are all
    so beautiful.

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!! They're like potato chips,i can't pick just one!!
    Kathi

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would call it a cabbage rose, but don't know if "experts" would. :)

I "rescued' it from an abandoned farm - I just dug two starts from the HUGE bush along the road front. From those two little cuttings, it has grown into nearly as big of a bush as the parent. I keep that first one in a big bush clump, but the one in these photos I trained up a post next to a power pole and then let it cascade over how it wished this spring. I keep taken "slips" and spreading it around the property. It is not bothered by insects, drought or the electric company workers who climbed up the pole to do repairs on the pole and lines. :)

I love this rose above all others. I wish you could smell her fragrance. It is totally unique and so strong. The whole yard and up into the meadow is filled with her heavy Myrrh fragrance. You almost feel as if you are walking through some ancient Middle Eastern garden. Oh, my!

Eduarda helped me identify her, bless er heart. She has them in her garden in Portugal. You can imagine my delight in finally getting her identified. What a class act rose.
    I discovered that Antique Rose Emporium sells them. They are listed in their catalogue with their "Old Garden Roses" as a Hybrid Tea, once blooming, Fragrant Medium Pink. No other description about her is given there. That is a pathetic description! Hmph!

:)

• User
    13 years ago

Your roses are beautiful! I love Belinda's Dream and the New Dawn.

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ignore the time stamps on those images. My camera went whack-o last month and hasn't been accurate since. I tired to remove the time stamp, but the next time I used it, there it was again. Grrrr.

• dahli22
    13 years ago

if it say 'sorry photo heavy'--I'M SO THERE! awesome photos...thanks for posting.

• hosta_house
    13 years ago

Hard to pick a favorite although I love Ispahan too and Chicago Peace. Thanks for sharing.

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dahli,

You are so cute. I laughed out loud when I read your post. I am still laughing!

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the Pink Flowering Almond (or is it Flowering Pink Almond?). Anyway, it blooms in early spring. You can see it is planted at the base of Rosa, Ispahan. Some years they bloom together, but not this year.

{{gwi:623819}}
    The color is washed out in this photo due to the funky spring lighting, I suppose. It is a lovely "baby girl's" pink like the pink you can see in the center.
    It was just beginning to bloom when I snapped this picture. No fragrance but a beautiful little shrub. It is illegal to grow and/or sell in some states, for some reason. Glad it isn't here! It spreads by expanding in size, but never grows more than three feet tall.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

So gorgeous Annie! I think these might be my favorite photos you have every posted of the garden!! That pink rose and peony combo is out of this world!!!

I love Midas Touch. My friend had a HUGE huge specimen by her front door for about 10 years. I took several cuttings, that were non-grafted and gave them away, the one I kept for myself I had labeled incorrectly :(
    They painted my friends house two years ago and cut the darned rose right off below the graft!!! So sad.

I also love flowering almond. It can take the worst possible location and bloom and multiply like a trooper. We've got one in solid red clay beside the driveway between the road and sidewalk. It's a thankless location and every Easter it blooms it's head off!! The mother of mine is unusual and grows more like sticks to 4' tall. Mine is lax and grows 8" tall?!!

I will be needing to get Belinda's Dream!

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone.

I have really been working on improving my soil the past three years and that has made a big difference, I believe. Good soil - good plants.

Good rainfall, this year too.
    Belinda's Dream looks like a big, fat pink Snowflake. And she smells divine. Has a good strong fragrance. She likes full sun, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

That 5-inch bloom is on a plant that is only two feet tall. I rooted it last spring. I just stuck a broken off branch in the ground, and no kidding, she rooted in about three weeks and began blooming within a month. Poor little plant was bent over double with those big blooms. She bloomed all summer last year. This year, her blooms are even bigger. I totally love Belinda's Dream. In front of her is a rose cutting I got from plantmaven. I think it is Rosa, Heritage, although I can't be certain. She is only 18 inches tall and has bloomed twice already this year. She bloomed last year too, but much smaller blooms on an 8 inch plant. She has a strong, lovely old rose fragrance and sweet baby pink color.

I just cannot get enough roses! It is my new freak!
    If I keep on like this, I will have to change my home name from Iowa Hills Herb Farm to Rose Hill Cottage!

Thanks again everyone. I'll be sure to tell my rose-girls how much you all love them.

~Annie

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Annie, I loved the pictures of your roses.. You have some real beauties.

I have Belinda's Dream from Chamblees and it doesn't look like yours at all and it isn't very fragrant. Makes me wonder. I will post a picture for you to take a look at.

I thought I lost it over winter but it finally came back but is pretty short so far.

You have made me want Ispahan. I love the very fragrant ones.

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Me and the Japanese Beetles thank you all!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

absolutely beautiful!! I feel like I can smell them through the screen :) I HAVE to add more roses, that's for sure!! Thanks for the inspiration!

~Andrea

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

Ispahan really is amazingly beautiful

• honnat
    13 years ago

Beautiful!! If you just took a close-up of the Ispahan, you'd (at least I'd) think it was another peony. I'm still afraid to grow roses; but this has got me interested...hmmmm

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Ispahan does look like a peony. Just wonderful.
    Renee

• armyyife
    13 years ago

Annie,
    I posted a reply to your reply on my post of my garden not sure if you saw it or not.

Your gardens are very pretty and your roses so healthy and lush looking! I love that New Dawn, always wanted to try her but wasn't sure how she would do here and that Ispahan wow,love the color and it looks fantastic with those peony! :O)

My spring flush was great but now the thripes something I have had before but never too bad is becoming a huge problem this year and the leafhoppers are doing a number too. :O(
    ~Meghan

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Oh, Betty Boop is so pretty. I love your garden. The other favorite of mine was the Knockout roses.

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

Wow, you have some really wonderful roses and peonies.

FlowerLady

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!