Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Wisteria run wild - Celtic Dream garden

Last summer we visited an interesting small garden called Celtic Dream in the Niaraga area. I noticed at the time that there were wisteria vines in a lot of places. Yesterday I remembered that and we called down to see if the wisteria was in bloom and arranged to visit. On these forums I've seen a lot of people from warmer areas talking about how rampant the wisteria can be. Since the area where this garden is located is a bit warmer than here, I thought it might give me a better understanding of why wisteria can be so reviled :-) The wisteria was certainly vigorous there and well tangled in the trees and shrubs, but hadn't seemed to have killed anything. The owner said the wisterias were about 20+ years old. In several places the vines and their suckers had been woven together to make walls around rustic benches. Unfortunately DH didn't get any pictures of that for me. Here are some of the pictures he did take...

Most of the wisterias were unidentified. This one looks a bit like ours, except much, much larger!

{{gwi:159912}}

This stretch ran about 30' or so:

{{gwi:159913}}

I'm pretty sure these ones were American wisteria - definitely a 'musk' scent!

{{gwi:159914}}

The vine on this pergola was identified as 'Lawrence', which is the Japanese one I have that hasn't bloomed yet and is being trained as a tree. It sure looks like we've got our work cut out for us to keep it pruned to small tree size!

{{gwi:159915}}

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals