Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thyme2dig2

Tree Peonies and other blooms

The tree peonies are finally starting to bloom! I absolutely love them! There are about 6 more in the backyard area that haven't popped yet.

{{gwi:624507}}

The tulips are still going and now amsonia and deutzia have joined the show.

{{gwi:624508}}

Kerria blooming in a very shady spot.

{{gwi:624509}}

Sinocalycalycanthus 'Hartlage Wine' just starting with spirea 'Gold flame' as a backdrop.

{{gwi:624510}}

Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip', deutzia and the bane of my existence sweet fern (constantly ripping it out so it won't take over) on the stone staircase.

{{gwi:624511}}

'Popcorn' Viburnum in the new backyard area. This is such a great shrub.

{{gwi:624512}}

I happened to place 2 new pots of tiarella next to a ligularia 'Britt Marie Crawford' and I think I'll wind up planting them right near the ligularia now. I like the color combination.

{{gwi:624515}}

I'm just not sure what I would ever do without my garden. I'd probably be very bored with long (clean) nails! LOL!

Comments (10)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

So absolutely lovely. The staircase is just so wonderful, and I like the sweet fern there (even if it kills you!). Everything is so lush and pretty. The green monster in me rises when I see that tree peony! Gimme Gimme!!!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

My Kerria is no where near as big. I just love, love, love that stairway made of the big slabs of rock. It looks so good.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

The stone stairway is marvelous, you know how much I like rocks. I also have Chocolate Chip ajuga and ferns growing among my rocks in the garden, and like you end up pulling ferns all season. They are so pretty, but too tall and always sneak up on me.

Really love the tree peonies,too.

• dahli22
    13 years ago

love the picket fence and the fabulous stone staircase (i didn't notice the fern weed...just those fabulous slabs! do you prefer tree peonies to the herbacious types?

• Annie
    13 years ago

Everything is absolutely beautiful!
    Belongs in a gardening Magazine. I love the dark tulips among the contrasting and complimentary plants. I am not familiar with Amsonia & Deutzia; Not Kerria or the other pretty lplants & shrubs either for that matter. Haven't seen them being sold here in nurseries, but I will be on the lookout. Maybe I just overlooked something wonderful right under my nose! I HAVE to write these down and take it with me on a scouting trip.

Your landscaping capabilities are fabulous. The rockery steps are extraordinary...and I am in a "longing for that" mood just looking at your photos. I am like schoolhouse - anything with serious rockery like that in the landscape is my cup of tea.

~Annie

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. I live at the end of a street that no one ever drives up so it's nice to share the garden with folks who appreciate it. I'm just tickled by the 2nd picture with the dark tulips. That was not planned at all but I just love the combination in the garden. You can barely see in the picture but there's a dark purple geranium by the amsonia and that picks up the tulips too. I have found myself on many occasions staring at this little area in the garden. Isn't it amazing how such little things in the garden can make one so happy? :o)

GGG, do tree peonies not do well down there for you? I'll trade you a tree peony for a camellia! LOL!!

Rita, I've been surprised at how big the kerria has gotten because it is in such a shady area. It also puts out a great bloom even though it's so shaded. Really brightens up an otherwise dull spot.

Dahli22, I also have herbaceous peonies. A great one that goes to town on my front slope is 'Scarlet O' Hara'. Nice strong, sturdy stems so no staking is required which is great low-maintenance on the slope. I have a handful more on the slope and outside the cottage area as well. Inside the cottage area I have about a dozen more. I have around a dozen tree peonies at this point and plant to continue to collect them as time goes on. I really enjoy both the tree and herbaceous peonies. While the tree peony blooms are so incredibly showy, they are pretty fleeting in any sort of warm weather. The herbaceous peonies also have so many more blooms than the tree peonies. I like the difference in foliage between the 2 types. I have the herbaceous in the sunnier areas of my yard and the tree peonies in the part-shade areas. I find it's a good mix.

We got really lucky with all the rock on our property. When the road had been blasted out, this piece of property was the "dumping ground" for all the rock. As the excavation took place while building our house the huge rocks were unearthed. We asked the guy doing the site work to just put them all in a huge pile in the back for future use. Then we had someone come in a couple years later and work their magic. The property wouldn't be the same without all the rock.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

This shot with the tulips and the decorative metal behind... they all have such a wonderful architectural quality! Very beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:624508}}

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

I just love your stone staircase. You have some lovely bloomers.

Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Just had to take another look at breathtaking beauty on this cold winter day.
    Renee

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Me too, it is a nice beginning to another dreary winter day to see the beautiful gardens in all their glory. My coffee even tasted better today for looking at your garden! Cheryl

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH