Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Bad News for Puppy

Annie
13 years ago

This morning I found her listless. Wouldn't eat or drink and was depressed. She had vomited next to her water. SO I called the vet's office. Wednesday is usually her day off, but she was in there checking animals, so she said to bring her in ASAP.

Dr. Nancy checked her stool - there was blood, lots of blood. She tested it. It is Parvo. So she gave her shots and put her on IV with fluids and then sent us home with a box full of stuff to fight this virus and beat it. She is on a regiment of meds. I must give her 300 cc of sodium chloride a day (in three IV doses under the skin) and all kinds of meds through injections twice a day and one for vomiting once a day. I have to wash everything she has touched in Chlorox 2 or regular Chlorox, including her toys, etc. I gave the older dogs a Parvo shot and wormed them for Hookworms just to be on the safe side since they have been exposed. I will need to work the car over too.

The Bast*rd(s) who dumped her out, sick with Parvo, ought to be caught and punished for endangering not only this poor little pup, but for also endangering the lives of other people's dogs. What a selfish act in every way.

I just moved her little bed out of the kitchen and next to me here at the computer desk. She somehow managed to climb over the gate to get in here closer to me - for gosh sakes! Such a pitiful and sad little face. It just breaks my heart. But she is now sleeping peacefully again.

I will fight to help her beat this horrible virus.

I just have to keep fluids in her until the meds kill the Parvo and her stomach heals, and keep her and the house clean.

After we got home and she was sound asleep, I took the boys and Bonnie out for our normal walk up on the hill through the meadow. It was so dadgum hot that Shep turned about, dashed back down the hill and stood waiting in the shade of the Little Wood. Bonnie and Gus continued on with me but were complaining. Bonnie ran to the shade of a Juniper tree and then to another, flopping down in the cool grass in the shade, and kept me in sight as I hiked up on the ridge. Gus began whining, so I finished my rounds and we headed home. They ran ahead to make sure that The Mom went home. When I opened the back door, they crowded through the doorway, pushing and shoving to be first inside. Poor dogs. I just wanted to make sure that I kept their daily routines as normal as possible.

It is about to break loose with yet another thunderstorm and deluge. Great. Thunder is rumbling and is has gotten dark outside. My TV is on satellite, so it is going off and on & popping with the lightening strikes. Man! The Boys are so scared that they are laying right up against me - Miss Bonnie headed for her bed in the basement and Puppy is now sleeping again, feeling comforted now by being right next to The Mom.

Keep her in your hearts with positive thoughts or in your daily prayers. We are both going to need all the help we can get.

~Annie

Comments (26)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Oh, no.But with your nursing, I bet she pulls through.

I've never had to deal with Parvo (knock on wood) but have known friends who adopted from a shelter and the dogs came with Parvo. They said it was expensive to treat. Good luck to you both.

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The vet showed me how to do it myself. So instead of paying about $2,000 or more for her treatment, I paid $111 for all the vet did and all the supplies for me to treat her at home.
    She is a really cool vet.

I am not sure Puppy is going to make it though. About an hour ago, she got out of her bed and crawled under the sofa. They usually do that to die. I have to wait until DH gets home to help me get her out. I cannot move the couch and I cannot get down on my knees. Darn. Poor little girl.
    I know I have only had her for 5 days, but I love her so.

Thanks schoolhouse.

~Annie

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Oh no. I was so sad to read this, I feel like we all know your little dog thru the forum here. I hope she gets better and pulls thru quickly. You are both in my thoughts now and am sending my best wishes your way.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Poor little girl, I can't say what I think about the scum that dump these helpless little creatures or what I'd like to do to them, I'd be banned from the forum. Hope the little girl makes it.

Annette

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think Puppy is gone. SHe kept moving over into dark corners yesterday. I caught her trying to go out the kitty window, so closed the curtain. I went to the bathroom, came out and she was gone! In searching EVERYWHERE...no puppy. I saw the curtain had been pulled out and moved aside. We think she went off to die somewhere alone. That is the way they do. I have searched hi and lo throughout the house and out in the yard. No sign of her anywhere.
    Poor baby.
    At least she had a week of LOVE and she was happy. She also brought much joy and happiness into our lives.
    I hope she didn't suffer long and wherever she is now, she is happy. She is free from the abuse of man.

~annie

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Oh, Annie! I am so sorry about puppy. I'm so glad she had a week of learning humans are not all horrible, and you did your best.
    Thank-you for caring for her. For being there when she needed you to be. You are good souls.

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, you won't believe this!
    I couldn't believe it myself.

Guess who I found laying out on the front porch tonight?

Puppy! I said hello to her and she immediately began wagging her little tail.

My heart is so heavy tonight. I thought I had lost her and had come to terms with it and now, here she is back again and worse than before. Where did she go and why? Why didn't she come to me when I called to her?

To look at this adorable photo of her, so happy and beginning to put on healthy weight...it is so hard to believe that she could go down to nothing in just 48 hrs!{{gwi:625368}} Taken June 15th

She is in really bad shape. She has developed a croupy cough. I did all I can do for her tonight with shots and fluids. I cleaned her up and made her a bed with a clean towel in front of the refrigerator where it is warm. She needed to stretch out and was not comfortable in her little pillow bed. I hope what I did for her is enough.
    It doesn't look hopeful though. I'm not being negative, just realistic, but I will continue to hope.

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I keep reading this thread even though it makes me cry. Had to post as didn't want you to think no one is paying attention. It's just that it all sounds so grim and keep hoping for better news. I am so sorry for all that little dog has gone thru and you too. Wish this story could have a happy ending.

13 years ago

I keep checking back here too, hoping that she's turned the corner and is on the way to recovery. Such a sweet little pup, sending gently hugs to her.

Annette

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Puppy passed away this morning. I spent the day focusing on my stupid garden so I wouldn't have to think about it. I took the big dogs for their walk up in the meadow and I thought of her joy in romping through the flowers two days ago. She had a blast and was cute. the grasses and wildflowers towered over her so she would leap high in the air to get over them and see where she was going. She was following Sheppie who had cut across teh meadow instead of following the path as he usually did. She was in hot pursuit. He ran down the hill and over to the Sumac patch, looking for rabbits to chase, and Puppy leaped over into the patch too. Then she looked about and realized she was in over her head - literally. I called her to me and she leaped high into the air to get oriented and bounced out of there and happily ran to me. When Shep rolled in the grass on his back, making "grass angels", Puppy watched him with keen interest. A few minutes later, she fell down hard in the grass just like Shep did it and rolled on her back, looking up at me with the silliest grin on her face.

Such a beautiful little soul.
    DH was so sad about her this evening, and not wanting to deal with the task of burying her. She looked like she was just laying there in her little bed. He finally got up and gently wrapped her for burial. It is so cold in this house that she will be fine until tomorrow. We will have her little funeral tomorrow...with little pink roses.

Farewell little Puppy on your journey to a place where there is no more pain and no abuse.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Annie, I'm glad your dear, sweet puppy did not go far and that you were able to say goodbye together.
    You never know why they go. Maybe she wanted to spare you, but could not face leaving you.
    Maybe she just needed to go to the toilet and wanted to go outside.
    But she came back and trusted that you would give her love and safety to send her along on her journey to wherever it is that cats and dogs go after they leave this world.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear this.

13 years ago

So sorry to hear this Annie, she came back because she knew she was loved, at least she passed knowing she had found that in her short little life.

Annette

• memo3
    13 years ago

This stinks, Annie. I'm sorry for your loss.

MeMo

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I just knew when I checked this thread this morning that it wasn't good. I am so sorry for you and puppy both. I know you will really miss her.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Annie, you and your husband are truly good souls.

I am sorry you lost fight for the little dog's life.

Our dog was a dropped puppy; the cat we lost was either dropped or wandered away from home; the new cat that had three kittens just showed up at the barn one day.

I would love to be behind a car sometime that dropped an animal!

A neighbor stopped by yesterday and actually told me she didn't neuter her female cat and when she had kittens she called it relocating them! She would take them by a dairy farm and drop them. Assuming that the dairy would have all the 'free' milk for cats! When we dairied I sure didn't want to be feeding a dozen stray cats.....

I just sat there stunned.

• BecR
    13 years ago

Very sorry to hear this , Annie.

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many heart-filled thanks to all of you.

Sincerely,
    Annie

• Eduarda
    13 years ago

Dear Annie, I was away during the weekend and was only able to check this thread now. I'm so sorry to hear the bad news about your puppy, I know you must be devastated. If that serves as any sort of consolation, at least she didn't suffer for a long time. You and your husband are kind souls to take care of her and give her happiness for the last days of her life. I'm glad she left knowing not all humans are bad. Much love to you.

Eduarda

• dahli22
    13 years ago

thanks for sharing her story with us. they can take your heart just like that. and they're worth it. i love your last photo of her. i'm so sorry she passed away.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

I hadn't checked over here in a while... What a sad story! But at least she had some brief happiness with you. I hope all your other dogs are well.

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dear Eduarda,
    I know you are a busy, busy little bee. Thank you for taking the time to drop by. I hope you can find some time for yourself and your beautiful garden. It must be really hot over there in Portugal right now. It sure is here. I am glad you got to go on holiday to Scotland again. I envy you that.

Many thanks to all of you for dropping by to check on dear little Puppy.

Woody, I wormed all the dogs for Hookworms,including Puppy, and then vaccinated the other dogs for Parvo the day I found out what she had. The vet had already given her her puppy shots, but alas it was too late for her, poor baby. The vet sent home the Parvo shots for me to do the others myself. I cleaned everything with bleach, floors, and washables and used Clorox 2 for the colored things. Her toys and all were cleaned. No signs of it so far.

She will be coming out this way soon to check on other people's farm animals, and will drop by here to check my dogs for heartworms and give them their other vaccinations, and as many of the cats as we can catch. :) they are afraid of strangers. One of the nice things about living in farm country and finding a good vet who is willing to do that just to save my animals and save us some money to boot.
    Thanks for asking.

~Annie

• keesha2006
    13 years ago

I am so sorry Annie..

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Hi Annie, Been away on vacation the last week and dropped in to get your sweet puppies name and was so sad to find this thread. Like everyone has said she was so lucky to have found you and your dh. Just wondering if you decided on a name? I hope the burial went okay and your hearts are less heavy at this time. We do so love all of our four legged furry friends. With love, Judy

• floweryearth
    13 years ago

Bless your heart, Annie. I'm so sorry about what you and your puppy have gone through. I agree with what was said about how at least the puppy had that little time to experience love. I've had dogs get parvo and it's very sad.

May God richly bless you for this and every other act of love you've done and will do!

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Blessings!

Sponsored