dahli22

columbine, blue poppies and other stuff

dahli22
13 years ago

dahlias planted but not open yet.

{{gwi:625779}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in 2010

purple columbine and blue poppies.

{{gwi:625780}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in 2010

snow in summer with columbine and alium.

{{gwi:625781}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in 2010

alium at entrance to seating area.

{{gwi:625782}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in 2010

alium with hosta.

{{gwi:625783}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in 2010

panoramic view from seating area. first photo of three.

{{gwi:625784}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in 2010

photo 2.

{{gwi:625785}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in 2010

#3.\
{{gwi:625786}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in 2010

other side of yard.

{{gwi:625787}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in 2010
{{gwi:625788}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in 2010

blue poppy!

{{gwi:625789}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in 2010

Here is a link that might be useful: 2010 garden

Comments (20)

• SEWigardnut
    13 years ago

You have a beautiful yard. I love the blue poppies and the varigated sedum

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tour, Kathy. You have one of the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen. I can't see any bare soil- amazing.

The poppy- what an unbelievable color- so strange to see a flower in that shade! When I first started gardening I bought seed packets of those poppies that said "NOW! EASIER TO GROW!"
    Which entailed a three month long regime of freezing, thawing, and soaking. Needless to say, nothing ever sprouted. There's a reason it's called a HIMALAYAN poppy. It's cold there.
    Renee

• dahli22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks renee--i would put your garden in that category!

i felt the same frustration with seeding blue poppies. i tried it this spring with seed collected last year and refrigerated...tried putting outside in bright shade with cover but the tray flooded. going to try again this fall with fresh seed. my father in law got a bunch to sprout but lost most to dampening off, so guess germination is just half the battle.

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I didn't know poppies came in blue. I just love looking at pictures of your gardens. You have done such a fantastic job. And the view with the water and the mountains in the backround is so spectacular. Love it all.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Your garden is amazing, but paired with those views, it's simply stunning!

• token28001
    13 years ago

Stunning. We can't grow blue poppies here. That snow in summer is incredible too.

I have an autostitch program for panoramic photos. I hope you don't mind...

{{gwi:625791}}

• dahli22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

token: how did you do that??!! love it!

• token28001
    13 years ago

It's called Auto-stitch. You can download a free version here. Just install it, open the program, choose file> hold down the CTRL key and select the photos you want to use in the panoramic, and hit OK. I use Photoshop to crop the resulting image and clean it up a bit. There are some advanced things you can do too, but I normally just leave the default settings in place.

• dahli22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

it's impressive given the fact i wasn't using a tripod. can't see the seams. thanks for the link.

• token28001
    13 years ago

The program does all the work. I use it a lot for my own photos, just as a way to keep records of large swaths of the garden each month.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

wow, this is just a stunning yard! I adore it! It's so full of beautiful things! Your view is gorgeous, too. Love your rock borders.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

That is beautiful! What a fabulous setting for the garden. I know I am not the only one lusting after those blue poppies either. It isn't easy to groww any poppy here, much less the blue ones. Thank you for the lovely photos.
    kay

• thinman
    13 years ago

Beautiful gardens, beautiful yard, beautiful country! My hat is off to you.

ThinMan

• Annie
    13 years ago

I literally gasped when I opened this topic!!!
    Absolutely fabulous!

What a lot of work has gone into a garden like that! Immaculately trimmed & mowed with everything in its place~Annie

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Dahli, I have looked at your photos over and over and shown them to my DH. We just keep saying WOW, WOW, WOW. Your yard is incredible and the backdrop of the lake and mountains is so beautiful. You have done an amazing job.

• on_greenthumb
    13 years ago

There isn't much I can say that others in here haven't already said...Your gardens are absolutely spectacular. I keep coming back to this thread and every time it gets me excited to get back into my own garden (which is relatively new and not nearly as immaculate...LOL) The blue of the poppy is just unbelievably beautiful. Oh well...given my two cents, back to the garden for me...

• dahli22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i just logged on and saw these great comments. thanks for the encouragement--it means a lot! we actually are on a saltwater channel...we get salmon spawning on the beach. sometimes brad gets spawned-out salmon and buries them here. it helps.

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Kathy,
    I just love looking at your gardens,so much beauty in one place!! On sundays,i always come on here and look at everyones gardens.

One thing i wish i GW would still do is post what state we are in,sure would help with that age old question"wonder if i can grow that here"????

So Kath,what state are you in??
    TFS
    Kathi

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

oh such beauty!
    tanya

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Kathi- I think Kathy is in Alaska. So whatever you were thinking about growing in Southern Ca...
    Renee

Sponsored