Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Mosses, Lichens and Liverworts?

Here's a couple of more photos of moss and...the same spot where the wild flowers were growing.

{{gwi:625902}}

{{gwi:625904}}

{{gwi:625906}}

{{gwi:625907}}

{{gwi:625908}}

Don't know which ones they are but they sure are purty :).

Annette

Comments (10)

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

those are COOL! I love mossy things!

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Look at that. So pretty and interesting.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Those are so pretty. I try and try to get those kinds of plants to grow here- but they just don't dig the sunshine!
    Renee
    ps. I once got a liverwort to live for two months...

• Annie
    13 years ago

OMG!!

Those are just beautiful.

Those plants are even more endangered than wildflowers.
    They look like they are hanging off of rocky cliffs. Are they? They grew like that back home (and I do mean "grew").

I love those plants. GORGEOUS!!!!

Lucky you to still be able to find them in the wild where you live.

~Annie

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Those are great~~~~~~~~~~love the liverworts,had never heard of them so had to look them up to see which ones they were.
    kathi

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think the little greenish cupped one and the one with the red bits are Pixie Cups (Cladonia) but would need an expert on lichens to confirm. I'm going back in a couple of weeks, see what else I can find.

Annette

• Annie
    13 years ago

I believe the red topped green Lichens are called "British Soldiers" (Cladonia cristatella).

The ones in the photo above it are definitely Pixie Cups (Cladonia pyxidata) - all gray green - gray when dried out. They look like tiny metal stemmed goblets.

We have Lichens here, but I've never seen anything like those. I love Lichens. They are such fascinating things. Fungus and algae living together to create so many different colors and forms. Amazing!

In a word - Beautiful!

~Annie

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Annie thanks for the identifications I thought the red ones were "British Soldiers" too but I couldn't find this in my book, when I did a search I found... "British Soldiers" seem to be more an east coast lichen. I found "Cladonia coccifera" red pixie cup but my red one doesn't have the same cups as the greenish one, what do you think?
    OMG, I feel another addiction coming on, with all the rain we've been having this year there's probably a lot more of nature's beauties out there just waiting to be photographed.
    My cottage garden is a disaster this year from all the rain we've had, rose bud rotting before they even open, plants flopping over, spit bug on everything, mildew and aphids, I didn't know there were so many aphids. I refuse to spray so will be cutting everything back, the sun comes out and promises to stay for awhile but something keeps chasing it away. It'll probably turn dry and hot in July and fry all the too lush growth. Oh well, there's always next year :).

In the meantime I will enjoy everyone else's gorgeous gardens.

Annette

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Very different plants. I love mosses. The only moss I have luck with is some that grows on some old bricks I have in the garden. I do like it though.
    kay

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Fabulous! How artful! Love your eye for detail.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets