{{gwi:626160}}

{{gwi:626162}}

Comments (17)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Oh those are all just GORGEOUS!!!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Oh, I love them all! I wish I could grow them like that. They are beautiful. You have done a wonderful job!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. There the easiest flower for me to grow, but mostly if I let THEM choose where they want to grow. Some of the oddest places suit Hollyhocks.

I just planted seeds from a hollyhock I got from the neighboring vet's garden, down by the veggie garden. It had the most beautiful bloom - an orangey pink if I remember right; but I'll have to wait perhaps two years to see it. The seeds have sprouted and have first baby leaves already.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

very pretty and the plants look so healthy. They are my very favorite cottage garden flower. I had gorgeous ones a few years back - all colors but then got hit by hollyhock rust. I am just now getting that under control and hope to have my gorgeous HHs back again. I do have to fight Japanese Beetles and deer (grrrr) but some plants are just worth the extra trouble - TFS ......

Lynne

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You aren't seeing the rust and holey leaves on them in the photos. ha. If you get yours under control, I'd be thrilled to find out how you've accomplished it. Except I've lived with hollyhock rust for so many years it's probably hopeless here. Thanks for the compliment!

• Annie
    13 years ago

Oh wow!
    I love your Hollyhock forest!

Beautiful colors.

I keep trying to get oranges and yellows going, but no luck so far. Plantmaven sent me some seeds of her yellows ones to try.

Can't wait to see your orange ones.

~Annie

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've never seen an orange hollyhock, I don't really know how to describe the hollyhock from Dr. Blanchard's. Orangey pink is kind of misleading, I know it was different that's for sure. Better wait and see, the way my memory is.

Right now one of the yellow hollyhocks blooming has a soft reddish center! I'll try to take a photo tomorrow so you can guess for yourself what color to call it. All the other yellows so far are a clear yellow. It's funny because I complained for years I could never get a yellow to grow - now it has spread itself all over the patch.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't photograph this group enough. At its peak right now.
    {{gwi:626163}}

Closeup of a clear red hollyhock with a dark eye:
    {{gwi:626164}}

A clear lilac (it doesn't have a darker center like the photo shows)
    {{gwi:626165}}

The yellow with the pinkish center:
    {{gwi:626166}}

{{gwi:626167}}

• poppy_power
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Hollyhocks.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

GORGEOUS!!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nice to see my hollyhocks again! Last summer was indeed "The Year of The Hollyhock" at my house. Although I have had these plants bloom for years, it was the best.

Sadly, I lost many HH plants along the picket fence due to the extreme cold winter and ice; so there will be fewer blooms this summer. I intend to buy new stock and start over, that's the way gardens grow. I have plenty of gathered seed, but unless the soil warms up considerably I fear I won't get any in the ground.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

STOP POSTING PICS!!! I just went out and bought 2 more hollyhocks!!!lol!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Just bought another one...sheesh! Am I sick?!!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This fall, after cutting back the spent stalks, let some seed pods fall to the ground or spread some seed around; you may not need to buy another hollyhock for several years. ;)

Are you buying singles or doubles? I prefer the singles, but most nurseries sell the doubles in plant form. I'm still looking for the elusive single white.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

OMG, I am in love!!!
    Hollyhocks have been my dream and a failed effort for many years. Finally, I through in the towel, and what do you know - there are 4 of them blooming happily in my garden this year!
    Your garden is gorgeous - enjoy!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

LOL!! I didn't notice the date on this thread was from 2010 because when I looked at the topic both post dates showed June 17 so I didn't even pay attention they were one year apart. I saw the photos and thought "OH, those are gorgeous!" Then I saw my post from last year!! GREAT to see these photos again.

Hollyhocks really are special plants. I've never had luck with them in this yard. Well, maybe now that I don't have any groundhogs roaming around I should try them again. I swear they are a groundhog magnet though. As soon as I plant them all the groundhogs in the neighborhood will show up for dinner!!!