schoolhouse_gw

Climb little Morning Glories, climb!

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

Eight so far:

{{gwi:626178}}

Destination:

{{gwi:626180}}

I think I could have designed the twine trellis a little better but I'll wait until they reach the window sill and make some adjustments.

Comments (12)

• Annie
    13 years ago

Cool!
    That is how I used to trellis mine on the front porch. The bushes now have taken over the spot, so I can't anymore. It made such a lovely shade for the porch and so colorful. When they grow up on those strings they look fabulous.

I want to plant that packet of MG seeds you sent me last yer, but I'll be danged if I can find them! Makes me so mad! I just had them here on my desk.

Post more pics later on when they reach the top. I wanna see! I love MGs. You will be able to look out your window and say, "Good morning, Glory!"

Sweet dreams!
    ~Annie

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's right! I never thought of that, "Good morning, Glory". ha ha good one.

There is a big hydrangea shrub at the side of the back porch that has spread out and is taking up most of the space under the window so that's why I was unable to plant the MGs right below it(window). Soil is little thin there but I'm hoping if I give them a good start they will take off.

• Annie
    13 years ago

My Heavenly Blue ones are coming up in the veggie garden...maybe some of those seedlings might also be the Mina lobata (Spanish Flags) that I grew in there last year too. Those were just beautiful. They didn't start blooming until September, but they bloomed thru October and into early November, even after we had a few frosts.
    Close-up: {{gwi:626181}}

{{gwi:626182}}

Out side the fence the wild ones are thick this year. They make smaller sky-blue flowers, but have ivy shaped leaves, like hearts. Pretty. I allow them to grow in the garden but they are big at reseeding themselves. I need to get them started up in the meadow on the fence. They would sure be pretty with those yellow Brown-eyed Susans, white daisy-like Fleabane and white Yarrow.

I have the reddish-pink ones that reseed every year and the purpley-blue old-fashioneds. I like them all.

Keep posting as yours grow up the strings and eventually flowers.

~Annie

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I will be glad to see them covering those strings too.

I haven't planted MG's in years....ever since I grew Grandpa Ott's which will take over an area quickly. I have lots starting to vine from self-seeding now.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't mention Grandpa. I planted his MGs three years ago and am still weeding out seedlings. Luckily, the Heavenly Blues have a different leaf shape as seedlings, so I know which to get rid of.

The plants I'm training up the twine aren't very robust, yesterday I gave them a drink with Miracle Gro mixed in; but I've heard that MGs don't like too much fertilizer. I was a little late in sowing the seed also.

Don't worry, if the vines do as I hope I will be posting plenty of pics!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Drown them in water and the'll take off. We've been growing them for years but a few years ago we had a very unusual wet summer, and that's when I noticed the MG's literally grew like weeds!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, my MGs will wilt and I feel sorry for them and give them a big drink; but if I do it too many days in a row, the leaves start to yellow. Also know they don't care for fertilizer, but these that I planted under the window just looked so fragile that I mixed up some Miracle Gro and watered them a couple times with that.

They took off again, but isn't the result of too much fertilizer that you'll get lots of foliage and fewer blooms? Plus a big ole' Ironweed plant has decided to grow very tall right in front of the row of MGs. so I'm hoping they get enough sun now.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As of today(taken from inside the house). Go Glories go!
    {{gwi:626183}}

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse, where in Ohio are you? I looked at the picture you had of your view out the window. Looks an awful lot like the type of area my Grandma lived. She was in Coshocton, OH in the southeastern portion of the state.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Speaking of non-blooming Morning Glories - look what I have now. The vine grew up through the gap in the window sash and into the pantry! At first I would get a ladder and pull them out, but those vines grow before my very eyes and finally I gave up out of curiosity. Just how far would they go? And there are blooms finally. You can barely see them, but there are two blooming this morning and many more buds have set - some inside the pantry. This ought to be interesting.

Please excuse the unfinished drywall on the walls and no window trim, it's been a long wait to get the beadboard. Hopefully this winter remodeling of the kitchen will begin again.

{{gwi:626184}}

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I love the blue ones.
    They want to come inside and inspect the progress on the kitchen project. I hope it's coming along faster than my six-year old bathroom project.
    Renee

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hope it's coming along faster than my six-year old bathroom project.

Ain't it the truth? The money I spend on plants and shrubs every year would have paid for the beadboard long time ago. Priorities, priorities. :)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz