Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Daylilies, Roses, Hollyhocks and the Maze of Garden Paths

Annie
13 years ago

Looking from the north corner of the patio into the back yard in front of the greenhouse where my pots, tools and "good garden junk" wait to be used. That is Maiden Grass in front and the tall plants in back are Tiger Lilies, budded and getting ready to bloom in July.

{{gwi:626279}}

Moving the camera a little to the right (south) you can see more of Betty Boop roses and Scarlet Pirate Daylilies...

{{gwi:626280}}

And just a little more across the patio to right and you can just catch a glimpse of the Rudbeckias & Daisies over the top of the Red Knockout and Pink Lady Elsie May roses which just finished their second flush of blooms...

{{gwi:626281}}

And then walking over a little further and you can now see the Rudbeckias in full view and the Daisies. Black Hollyhocks nearly invisible behind them against the Forsythia bush. They will need to be moved next year, if I grow them at all.You can see the pink Hollyhocks and Dark Night Butterfly bush following the path under the Juniper tree into the back yard

{{gwi:626282}}

Red, Dark Pink (looks red in photo) and white TT Hollyhocks (cross-mixed) in front and Original TT HH and the ruffled pink/white cross behind them and the Dark Night Buddleia - all the HH's are volunteers from last year. This is the Dionysus Statue Garden

{{gwi:626283}}

The tall yellow & green variegated plants are Variegated Artemisia.

{{gwi:626284}}

It gets a bit carried away and spreads, so has to be thinned and given a haircuts from time to time , but I love it.

In this bed are also garden phlox (David, Nicky, Fannick and Pinky), and Lucca Johanna Dahlias, Red Hardy Hibiscus, Gardenia, Doppelganger Echinacea (Doubledecker), Primadonna Echinacea, Iceberg Roses, other roses, and too much to list; little plants that fill in and add their textures and colors, like the smokey purple-leaf of Heuchera (sp?).

New Hollyhock - Peaches and Dreams (something like that). Grew it from seeds Of the 14 plants, this is the only one that lived through last winter

{{gwi:626285}}

It is in the bed across the path from the Red, pink and white HHs. It stands guard behind The Daylilies, Roses and Garden Phlox in that bed and directly behind "Apocalypse Now" my newest Daylily and Mango Tango, a cross of mine.

Apocalypse Now - June 2010

{{gwi:626286}}

Mango Tango - July 4th, 2009

{{gwi:626287}}

The path here forks - one goes off diagonally to the back yard and meets a Weeping Willow in the center of the back yard, while the other path heads due south under the juniper tree and a Redbud tree where my shade garden is situated. At that point the path forks again into three paths. You can go straight and curve up and around into the Woodland Garden, or take the path to the left to the birdfeeders and the birdbath in the backyard under a Black Japanese pine and more gardens. IF your turn right, you pass the large clump of Zebra Grass and two more pines (Bl. Japanese pine and Virginia pine) with Buddleia growing under them and you will surely run smack into the back of the double carport if you don't stop. Growing on the back of the carport are several old white Species Roses that only bloom in Spring. They smell sweet and of black pepper. Lovely old rose fragrance. I love them for their beauty, but also because they cover that old ugly metal carport, and cools the area back there and that suits me just fine. The little songs birds love it for nesting and shelter in bad weather year round. Go right and you pass under the New Dawn rose monster that has broken down it arbor, pass the Azaleas and Ferns and find you have returned to the path by the Rudbeckias and Daisies.

Go left and you find yet another garden area.

(dizzying, isn't it?)

A path veers off to the left just as you pass the Blk. Japanese pine and leads up a winding stepping stone path lined with stones and creeping phlox. It leads up into the Woodland Garden, where of course you run into the path leading back to the shade garden.

(lost yet?)

If you turn right you will walk under a juniper tree with much growth of English Ivy under it. This is on the southside of the carport that leads to a double gate and beyond that the driveway. There is yet another garden along the fence row on the left (south) of the path just before you reach the double gate. This is our property line on that side. There is a hot pink Crepe Myrtle, a rampant soft pink climbing rose (species), English Ivy growing on a large stump and under the Juniper, as stated, two hardy Pampas Grass clumps, Irises and Nandina bushes and a few other plants...and weeds that stubbornly will not stay out of there. The plants in this garden have to be hardy because I seldom do anything for them other than add a gob of woodchip mulch at their feet - poor things. In drought years I run the sprinkler and every two years or so they get a dose of manure hay, but that is the extent of it. There is and very large old tree log lying horizontally back behind the Crepe Myrtle tree. It is completely hollow. I like that old log and apparently others see its merits as well. This is a favorite chicken and cat haunt, both inside it and on top of it. :) If I were a little girl, I would crawl inside and pretend I was Christopher Robin with Winnie the Pooh and Piglet and of course, my poor, poor dear Eeyore. Oh, my. What shall we do about Eeyore?

Ooops! Have to post more Daylilies, Hollyhock and Roses pics later. Gotta go put my chickens to bed.

Byee.

~Annie

Comments (12)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I used to have "Peaches and Dreams" hollyhock. It's so pretty. Maybe I'll get lucky and one will reappear some day.

What a place you have, always something in bloom!

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Or maybe some seeds will arrive in an envelope.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Annie,
    I love the hollyhocks especially. And I love paths in a garden (I guess you knew that). Very pretty. My daisie are not blooming yet, so it's good to see yours.
    kay

• dahli22
    13 years ago

just gorgeous. the scarlet daylilies really pop. love the double hollyhock too.

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the path where it forks by the Tasha Tudor Hollyhocks. Go right to the shade garden and the statue garden. Go left past the red Don Juan rose and daylily garden around the clothesline post, and into the back yard and the weeping willow
    {{gwi:626288}}

Daylilies along the garden path across from the Hollyhocks and in front of Apocalypse Now and Peaches and Dreams HH. In the is bed are Lady Elsie May roses, a Mr. Lincoln, Stars and Stripes (miniature red and white), Echinacea Primadonna (white), Echinacea Magnus, Catnip, Red French Marigolds, 4 Other Daylilies, Blue Bedder Salvia, White Perennial Stocks, Maroon & Burgundy Chrysanthemums, Freesia (summer flowering bulbs), Phlox David, Phlox Nicky, Phlox Fannick, Lamb's Ears, Pink Flowering Almond, Climbing Don Juan, Province Lavender, white Feverfew, Asiatic Lilies, Swamp Spurge, Red Single Hollyhocks, Lavender Rose of Sharon, Redbud tree, Red Australian Canna and Lemon Canna (some escaped my digging them out), Liatris spicata, Penstemon, Damask Rose and Irises with Doublemint in the back. There are still big spaces in the center between the roses that need filling.
    If there are no bare spaces between plants, then there are little if any weeds to hoe out.

Looking from the back of this bed to the path where it forks by the TT Hollhocks and the Buddleia bush
    {{gwi:626289}}

My old closeline T-post now supports Don Juan.{{gwi:626290}}
    {{gwi:626291}}I'd like to get a pretty white fan trellis for it

{{gwi:626292}} Every week this bed take on a different look as more plants begin to bloom

Looking back toward the house {{gwi:626293}}

You can see the path leading down to the patio garden (back left) and the rose garden (back right). To the far right (front) is the greenhouse entrance. The Jane Magnolia tree (center) shades it in the summer but is deciduous, so allows plenty of full sun in the greenhouse in winter and early spring when needed for starting my veggies and other plants.

The Hollyhock (bottom left) is the Peaches and Dreams before it was blooming. Here it is a few days later in bloom - same view
    {{gwi:626295}}

Looking towards the statue garden, you can see the path. Those pale pink flowers are Penstemon. Beyond this spot is the new rose bed I built last year.
    {{gwi:626298}}

This is the rose bed I built last year. The Heritage Rose I posted first at the top is in here. far left in front under the Hollyhock. Betty Prior is the medium pink rose blooming at the back. It is the tallest rose in this bed. Fannick Phlox is in there with Blue Bachelor Buttons, Yellow Cosmos and a White Primadonna Echinacea to the right of the Betty Prior. Next to the statue is a tree Holly. It will be large and pyramidal in form.
    {{gwi:626300}}

Here is another Mystery Rose in that same bed that I got from Kathy (She identified the one at the top as the David Austin rose "Heritage" or AUS Blush - thank you Ma'am!. It is the one center front next to the Dianthus. This little rose has a strong perfume. I sniff the blooms until I am sure there is no fragrance left in them.
    {{gwi:626302}}
    That is Rosa, Belinda's Dream behind her and Rosa, Mirandy is back behind the blue Bachelor Buttons. She needs to be moved to the front She produces huge Burgundy blooms with a strong spicy myrrh fragrance. Behind these roses is the large shrub rose mentioned above, Betty Prior.

{{gwi:626304}}Dianthus and Cosmos

All for now.
    ~Annie

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

Hi Annie -- I love the color of the red daylilies shown in the top photos, but I cannot for the life of me find a reference to Scarlet Pirate anywhere. These's a Crimson Pirate, but it seems to be a less vibrant red.

Do you mind if I ash where you got them? Thanks.

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Loved the virtual tour! You've been holding out on us, not showing us this gorgeous backyard vision. Wonderful hot colors with the orange daylilies and cannas.

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, honor,

You are correct about their name. They ARE Crimson Pirate. I have been so forgetful lately. (over-medicated if you ask me)
    I used to know all their names, but this year I cannot remember them...and a lot of other things, too.

I bought the tubers are Lowe's about 8 years ago.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    BTW, schoolhouse: My Apocalypse Now is actually a much deeper, darker smokey purple than what my photo shows.
    It would be beautiful anyway. Worth every nickle. ;)

~Annie

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

The rose is Portmeirion.

I sure hope some of those peacges and dreams seeds show up in my mail!

k

Here is a link that might be useful: Chamblee roses

• memo3
    13 years ago

A true country cottage garden. It's all just so unbelievably gorgeous, Annie. And it's so huge that I find it remarkable that you remember even half of the names of these plants. The color is to die for! I'm clipping this tread so I can refer back to it.

MeMo

• Annie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathy,
    Thank you so much for identifying both roses. I love them both. The other rose that was marked as 'Pat Austin' does not look like a Pat Austin, at least so far. It may be another Heritage rose. It is not growing as fast as the other two. When it blooms again I will take some pics so you can see.

The other survivor was 'Angel Face'. She is small, but she bloomed in May...one little bloom. She smelled delicious too. I think she needs more sun. The plants around her crowded in and grew tall. She needs to be on the front on the east side, not the front on the north side. :)

Those roses and the Gardenia rose are the only survivors of all the cuttings you and Diane sent to me almost two years ago. They are wonderful roses and I am happy to have what I have...not complaining.

You should look for Peaches and Dreams seeds to appear in your mailbox this summer. :)

Thanks for the LINK to Chamblee roses. I had lost it last winter when I had a crash. I have the David Austin order catalog that I love to look through. I DREAM David Austin Roses...

~Annie

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Annie, my poor, ancient computer just will not load all these pictures....I can only imagine walking through your gardens with you. I love these kinds of country gardens. The Tasha Tudor hollyhocks should feel right at home!

I will keep trying to see all the pictures.
    glenda

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz