Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

Blooms in the Evening, June

Nell Jean
14 years ago

Pics taken in the evening look different to those in bright sunlight.

Two views of 'Milk and Wine' crinum, a true cottage heirloom in the South.

{{gwi:626380}}

{{gwi:626381}}

A look at the long rock bed with Black Eyed Susans; Gardenias in the Background.

{{gwi:626382}}

Young Daturas and the first 'Dazzle' lily to bloom.

Salvia leucantha coming on for fall. Note that one failed to return.

{{gwi:626383}}

A closer look at Dazzle and a Datura.

The Daturas will bloom Purple, notice the dark stems.

{{gwi:626384}}

Black eyed Susans in the Upper Garden with Crinums and Cannas

{{gwi:626385}}

Bulbine and Purple Heart behind the BES. Vetiver grass clumps on the right. {{gwi:626386}}

Nell

Comments (8)

• bluesunflower
    14 years ago

That crinum is an interesting and pretty flower. It looks like a lily, does it have a scent? It is so neat to see the plants that you grow down there. There are some that I can grow here in the NW but they end up looking a bit different. What is the dark purple strappy looking plant? I don't know which is which in the names you listed. I might like to give that one a try. Or maybe it would just drown up here. :-/

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Nell, you are right about the times of day....only for me it is the very early morning, around 6 AM. Usually by evening I am inside and finished for the day.

I love the pale yellow lily and the crinum. The last is something I had never heard of until the Forum. Is the Black Eyed Susan rudbeckia hirta? I don't know if I have any left. I know I have some doubles and semi-doubles....will have to wait a while. Mine are just starting.

• floral_euphoria
    14 years ago

Nell, I think that twilight is one of the prettiest times of day, and I do love the effect of the light on flowers. That crinum is so dramatic! I also love the large rocks in your flower beds and the way you've worked your plantings around them. Everything looks lovely!

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Love that crinum, I think its gorgeous. Interesting thought to try pictures late evening.

• newbiehavinfun
    14 years ago

I love the crinum. I remember reading an article about them in Southern Living and just drooling over all the gorgeous plants. Yours are beautiful!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just noticed that there were questions here that I never answered.

The purple strappy leaf plant is Purple Heart (Setcreasea pallida). In cooler zones it is sold as a houseplant. Bulbine is the one behind it with the wispy tall stems with little orange flowers. It's a 'Texas plant.' Vetiver is a tropical grass, usually only seen in Louisiana for some reason, where the roots are used in making pot pourri. Someone brought me some from there.

Crinums are southern bulbs, native to a hot climate. I don't think I've ever gotten down close to see if they smell good, these. The white Jagus crinums smell of vanilla, and some of the others are fragrant.

Rita, if you haven't tried it, taking pics at night with a flash can be very dramatic. It's how I like to photograph hyacinths in early spring.

Nell

• todancewithwolves
    14 years ago

I really love the Milk and Wine' crinum. Does it have a scent? Vibrant at dusk.

• Annie
    14 years ago

Nell,
    Beautiful flowers in your beautiful rock garden.

I have Purple Heart growing in a pot. I planted some out in the garden last year and even with all our cold weather this past winter, it came back. It is a dazzling plant. I love the little pinkish-lilac flowers.

I have white Crinum lilies - I have to take mine inside in the winter. Too cold here, although I was told they wouldn't freeze here - well they did. I bought some new bulbs this year. Can't wait for them to bloom.

~Annie