Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

My lilies

luckygal
13 years ago

I tried to post this to discussions but it seemed to freeze so guess I am meant to post it here in the Gallery! :-) Not sure if it posted in Conversations as it won't load.

Last year I planted many Asiatic lilies and only a few of them bloomed. This year I think they all will. They are also multiplying quite nicely.

I'll post some pics of the ones that are in bloom now. I'm very pleased they've finally started as they seemed to be in bud for a very long time!

I foolishly left the tags in the garden and they didn't weather well. I had saved the info on my other computer which is not working. So eventually I'll ID them but right now only know one name for sure.

On the left is a creamy white lily with a pale green eye and on the right a white 'Dot Com'...

{{gwi:626727}}

This is a deep red...

{{gwi:626738}}

Not sure but this *may* be a pink 'Dot Com' but the center is not as deep as the white 'Dot Com'...

{{gwi:626742}}

This deep cerise lily is really tall...

{{gwi:626746}}

This looks more yellow than it is, it's really a pale apricot...

{{gwi:626748}}

This is pink and yellow and the name was something 'Hawaiian' I think. There are so many lilies online and I haven't taken the time to research.

{{gwi:626750}}

There are others that are still in bud so not sure what colors they are.

I've updated my Shutterfly album a bit if anyone wants to see more pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden album

Comments (10)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

WOW they are all gorgeous. They seemed to have done wonderfully for you this year. I hope to add some more to my beds this year. Thanks for sharing, Judy

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Beautiful lilies! I just spent some very pleasant time with my morning coffee visiting your garden. You live in some beautiful country! I was so happy you included some shots of the surrounding countryside.

I do envy you the delphs. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to grow them here.........finally just gave up.
    Yours are just gorgeous.

• luckygal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you prettypetals. Pretty name!

Thanks gldno1. Glad you enjoyed our scenery. I tell myself that every zone has it's advantages and altho our zone 3 can be a challenge I'm happy when a few things grow well.

• dahli22
    13 years ago

those are stunning...and i don't see any bite marks anywhere. great job. i especially like that deep red one. thanks for posting your photos!

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

wow, they're wonderful!!

• luckygal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks dahli22 - what bites them? I've been concerned the chipmunks would harm them but so far they haven't.

Thanks aimeekitty!

• mcr1968
    13 years ago

Your lilies are gorgeous! I especially like the creamy white ones with the pale green eyes in the first photo and the deep red ones. Thanks for sharing!

• luckygal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you mcr1968. :-)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Luckygal, your lilies are gorgeous and your delphinium is insane! Do you get a second fall bloom on them. WOW! Absolutely beautiful.

In reference to what bites the lilies....at least in NE we have the dreaded lily leaf beetle. They are awful. And you mentioned being worried about chipmunks? Chipmunks are the ultimate reason why I finally gave up on lilies. I had lilies planted all over my cottage garden. I would wage war regularly on the beetle and pretty much keep that at bay to a certain extent. They can really decimate lilies. But then one year I came home from work and all the BUDS were missing from the lilies??? Bugs??? Caterpillars??? I couldn't figure it out. Then I saw the culprits. Chipmunks were actually climbing up the lilies and biting off the buds! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. When I see the pictures of your lilies it almost makes me weep they are so beautiful!!!

Now if I may go off-topic a little. Your garden album is absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to have more time to really go through it fully. I love the glass flowers you have made. Do you mount them onto something, or do you lay them in the garden in the soil, on tables, etc. Please tell me more about how you display them in the garden. I am very interested. You have done a marvelous job with the glassware.

• luckygal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thyme2dig, thanks so much for the nice comments. My delphs are still blooming, I've cut off many of the stalks and removed the tops that are going to seed on the rest. Had to leave some flowers as the bees love them. They don't bloom again in the fall because we have early frosts here and fall will be here in a few weeks.

Thanks for the info about the lily leaf beatle, I've never heard of them and hopefully we don't have them here but will do some research. I sure hope those little chippies don't start eating my lilies! They do eat a lot of other things. We have a lot of them this year but I expect that will end. They seem to overpopulate, then for a few years we don't have any or only a few.

I haven't done a thing with the glass flowers yet (they are still boxed up) as this garden reno is taking a lot of my time and energy. Most people who make them put them on stems made of copper pipe or rebar and even make leaves. I may hang some on the fence posts. If you visit the Garden Junk forum you'll see some that others have made.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Junk forum

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm