Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

My first Butterfly pic of the Year

gldno1
14 years ago

{{gwi:626763}}

I have lost my Butterfly Book, tried online and think it is a Red Spotted Admiral.

Comments (8)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

What a beauty!

• Annie
    14 years ago

Ooooooh!
    Swoon...

That is one beautiful butterfly.
    Lucky you!

Great photo, Glenda.

~Annie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today I saw about 6 of these lovlies. Pipevine Swallowtails

{{gwi:626765}}

• Annie
    14 years ago

Beautiful Photos!

I saw ONE the other day that I believe is the same as the one you posted first - the Red Spotted Admiral. I was so thrilled! I didn't get any pictures of it though, darn it. IF I see it again I will - you bet!

We are finally getting some rain and boy what a difference! You ought to see my roses now! I am now more hopeful of getting bigger crops from the veggie garden too. Yeah!

~Annie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I am so glad you are getting rain at last! We have had some nice rain. It does make such a difference, both in the garden and in me!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

The Red Spotted Purples mimic the Pipevine Swallowtails with the bluish coloration and the red spots beneath, because the swallowtails supposedly have an unpleasant taste -- I never tried one. I see an occasional Red Spotted, never when I have a camera in my hand. They are interesting because you almost never see them on a flower, usually on something disgusting and dirty like the dog's bed.

Tuesday when I was out in the heat and humidity, none of my butterfly pics were worth saving, except for a very few of a Zebra Swallowtail with his long tails. Nobody would sit still, LOL. I don't know why I bother, they look no different to the dozens from previous years. One thing I noticed when I was out, that there are more butterflies close to the house than at the patch of woods farther away where upright lantana grows wild and there is also passionvines. Maybe it was the time of day -- 4 pm, and the terrible heat. I was expecting swarms.

We should all see increases in the number of butterflies, later this month and next.

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: Monday's Butterflies

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

Wow! We don't have any big blue ones. We have monarchs and yellow/black swallowtails. Yours are gorgeous!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I finally saw a Monarch yesterday. I do hope more show up soon.