Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

A few new blooms

gldno1
14 years ago

The hibiscus moscheutos are in full swing now....I have a white one somewhere...need to find it.

My shasta Becky's are back much fuller this year; thought I had lost them.

{{gwi:626775}}

{{gwi:626776}}

{{gwi:626778}}

Comments (7)

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Very pretty. Diane has a lot of hibiscus here, maybe 10 or 12.
    They root very easily, just stick a branch in the ground.

I love the Becky daises.
    One of the thrills of my life was visiting Luther Burbank's home and gardens while on a trip to CA in 2002.

• lindakimy
    14 years ago

Those are all so pretty! My hibiscus and daisies are over for the summer (sigh) but it's lovely to see yours.

I can't tell how tall your daisies are in the photo. Mine are the Alaska variety and are about 4 feet tall. Is there a variety that stays shorter? I could use them in so many more places if they were only 18-24 inches.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, my daisies never get that tall. I think you southern gardeners get a lot more size. This year all the plants are taller because we got some timely rains. I am guessing the Alaskas are 36 inches and the Becky's a bit shorter.

You could pinch yours about a month before they bloom to keep them shorter. I never pinch anything but my sis pinches all growing plants! I just can't remember.

• Annie
    14 years ago

Glenda,
    Your flowers are so beautiful - so lush and so healthy.
    I don't have groups of flowers all blooming like you do and others do. I hope now that it is a bit cooler more of mine will bloom that grow next to one another.
    My daisies stopped blooming in June and the plants looked dead, so I cut them back and they are growing again. I am hopeful they will bloom again. I have Silver Princess. They are supposed to be shorter and not flop, but they got tall and flopped. They flopped over into the path, so I ended up staking them. I had Becky several years ago. She was much shorter, but still flopped, except the ones I didn't water very often. I don't know why mine get so darned tall.

I love your flower/color/texture combinations. Really very pretty. Do you feed them? What kind of soil do you have.? Do you add packaged soil to your growing beds? Just wondering what you do to get such lush plants. I need to learn from you experts.

~Annie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am no expert, Annie. In answering your questions:

We have pretty good soil here and actually not rocky in the yard area. I never add soil to the planting beds if it looks good and I have never fertilized anything in any of the beds.
    I have added lime where plants like it and acid plant food for those particular plants.

The only feeding I do is with shredded leaves and old hay as mulch where I can get it down. I also have the benefit of the cows and their manure which I occasionally will pick up with the garden cart and use the stuff here and there where most needed.
    I do mulch in place some plants like roses and clems. I just lift up the flake of mulch and put down my kitchen waste bucket which is mostly coffee grounds and green stuff.

I do have one area by the back door, loosely referred to as the corner porch bed where they had down a gravel (white!) base that is very hard and difficult. I am using regular garden soil in the holes when planting new things here.

We have cows on the farm so once in a while, I will pick up some of their waste that is mixed with straw and use it as mulch.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

Pretty, pretty. Love it all.

Thanks for the reminder about lime. I have a list somewhere of lime-lovers and try to remember to give them a spoonful because the soil here is acid. It really gave the pentas a boost.

I miss the cows when I think about manure. I used to go out with a wheelbarrow, collecting, LOL. It was great for late winter additions to the roses.

Nell

• mora
    14 years ago

Glenda, everything looks so healthy and fresh,I love your combinations, Martha

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus