Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengranny2_gw

Finally, the perfect light

gardengranny2
14 years ago

Capturing the garden in the right light can be extremely difficult when photographing full sun areas.

Very early yesterday morning, I walked out on my deck to watch the finches playing and enjoy my first cup of coffee awaiting DH's return with the papers.

I ran quickly to get my camera and managed to get these perfect (IMO) shots before the sun moved--

{{gwi:626889}}

{{gwi:626891}}

{{gwi:626893}}

....which it did and so no more today.......

Comments (15)

• keesha2006
    14 years ago

gorgeous!! Nice color and texture blend. Would you move it to my yard please? :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

I was going to comment about the great texture and color also. Very nicely done,and I know what you mean about the photo taking, my garden is the same way.

I still can not get the hang of this digital camera of mine. My old 35mm.camera took such beautiful photos, colors were more true and it captured whatever light the scene appeared in. Now I get blurry pics and washed out colors. I need a course on how to use the camera I guess.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Such a gorgeous border, beautifully planted. How long and how deep is it if you don't mind me asking?

Annette

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I am really loving a) all the purple foliage and b) so many flowers blooming at once. Mine are on slow or hold with our erratic rains and very high early season temps (we have flip-flopped spring and summer, it seems!!). Your garden is just gorgeous!

• lindakimy
    14 years ago

Yes..."perfect" certainly applies to that!

Not only are the colors lovely but the beds are gorgeously composed and incredibly groomed! Wow.

• gardengranny2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all for the lovely comments. They are extremely appreciated and oh so good for my ego. Especially from gardeners such as yourselves. I've seen and admired photos of many of your gardens also.

schoolhouse, I was never good with a camera. Shook like the dickens for some unknown reason every time I held the camera. Pictures were always blurry.

Never had a decent shot of DH (that I took, if it wasn't blurry than he was headless) until he bought me a digital for documenting my garden. I protested when he raised the idea, saying that I wouldn't use it often enough to justify the cost. His argument was the cost of film and development that finally swayed me. That was 5 mega pixels and 6 yrs ago.

A new one purchased last year is 12 mega pixels and seems to do everything. Still learning. Still get some blurry shots (especially if I forget to bring my glasses along with the camera). But, they're easy enough to delete and reshoot if the lighting is right- at no additional cost.

Couldn't be without it now. Yes dear, you were right about that, too.

aftermidnight, the bed is roughly in the shape of a flattened triangle. It's about 30-35 ft across and about 18-20 ft at its' deepest point. Not positive about these dimensions. Never measured. Just estimated.

Over the past couple of years I have continued to extend the bed from the deepest point left to to the fence and down the hill about another 40 ft.

I told DH that if this continues he may not have any lawn left to mow--save the paths. Not a bad thing in his eyes either.

• Annie
    14 years ago

A picture is worth a thousand words...and you have three pictures!

What can I say that would not sound repetitious and lame?
    All of your photos have been dazzling me. I love gardens planted on slopes or hills.
    I too love your texture and color combinations - beautiful height and depth to the bed. Spaced but not empty. And your manicured lawn sets it off. Very Pristine!

When I grow up, I want to be a gardener just like you Granny!

~Annie

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Beautiful light. You have a great knack for mixing shrubs and perennials. The pictures are just beautiful. Island beds are tough and you handle them so well with the heights, colors and textures. And I love the viburnum limbed up. Nice to see the whole shrub in the pictures above since you gave us a glimpse of it in your other post!

Schoolhouse, I had the same problem when I switched from slides to digital. And now I'm going tonight to buy yet a new digital camera. I currently have a Nikon Coolpix and I'm just not happy with the way it blows out the yellows and can't handle reds (I leave it on auto all the time and let the camera decide). Certain pictures will be great and others blurry while others terrible color. It can get pretty aggravating. We decided last night to buy a more expensive camera (which one we don't know yet). My DH has a really nice digital SLR camera that gets great color and resolution, but it's too big and bulky for my small hands and I don't want to have to rely on him for all my garden pics!! LOL!

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I am seeing these pictures late so everyone has expressed all the compliments already.

Your border is a perfect example of a well-planned mixed border. How do you keep it so neat?

Beautiful, just beautiful.

glenda

• Vikki1747
    14 years ago

Beautiful pictures. We gardeners love the sun, except when we need to take pictures, lol. It is such a treat when we are able to get the appropriate light for our pictures at the most appropriate time for the flower blooms.

You obviously spend lots of time tending to your beautiful garden. Your plant composition is stunning.

Thank you for sharing you piece of heaven on earth.
    Vikki

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

Perfect light, perfect flowers, perfect garden. Everything looks so neat and tidy and full of color. Great job!

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

What a pleasure it is to see your garden. Inspiring.
    Renee

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

You captured some beautiful shots for sure. Love your beds. Punk

• blondiesc
    14 years ago

Nothing to say that hasn't already been said. I'll just add one more WOW!

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

I love it! I agree with all the compliments above :). What is the blue-looking flower on the far left?