Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

I've been inspired.

token28001
14 years ago

And so I've created a rose garden. Right now it's just a lot of dead bermuda grass and clay on a very sunny "corner" of a new path. But each rose I plant gives me a chance to work a lot of soil around the plant. I add lots of organic stuff and stir well. I'll be putting down cardboard and mulching with leaves in a couple weeks. The grass was killed with RoundUp several weeks ago.

I moved Mr Lincoln, my "orange" rose, a Sunny knockout, an unknown lavender hybrid tea rose that I got for $1, and because I needed a sunny spot for it, a Confederate Rose (Hibiscus mutabilis). I had wintersown this one and apparently forgotten that I had planted out one container. I found it this morning under some flopping echinacea.

On the corner, there's an old pink camellia that was nearly 30' tall when I moved in. It was so big, it blocked all the sun out in the backyard. If I was to grow tomatoes, it had to come down. Hopefully the new growth will make it through this year's winter. The stump is pretty large.

{{gwi:627424}}

I'm sure it's not the best time to move roses in the South, but they're all fairly new and had barely begun to put out new root growth. I'll just have to watch the watering for a week or two. And we're forecasted to have lots of rain this week.

It's 75 degrees and cloudy. :)

Comments (9)

• Annie
    14 years ago

Very pretty already!

Mister Lincoln is looking really smart in there. You will easily be able to enjoy "his" fragrance.

As for your orange rose that is reddish pink...I bought one called "New Years" that was supposed to be a bright, deep orange with darkened edges. It has only bloomed once - it came out a sunset coral with dark edges. Pretty, ya, but not bright orange! Hmmmm. Maybe the "pros" who grew & labeled them are colorblind?

I built a New Rose Bed that looks very similar to yours! How cool!
    I began digging it on July 10th, 2009. HOT indeed! I needed a sunny flowerbed where I could plant my new roses, and a few roses I grew from cuttings that were sent to me by sweet friends.

Here's what I have in it so far:

* Betty Prior - poly.- center back (bought in May)

* Lavender Lace - mini.- back left (ditto)

* Belinda's Dream - shrub - back right (grown from a cutting of a cutting 2009)

* Heritage - Engl. Musk - front left (grown from cutting 2009 )

* Pat Austin - Leander group (Austin) - front center (grown from cutting 2009)

* Archduke Charles - China - front right (grown from cutting 2009)

{{gwi:627425}}

The link below shows an abbreviation of the process so far, and close-ups of some of the plants. There is also Fannick Phlox seedlings that I set in there in late May, and Lady in Red/Coral Nymph Salvia seedlings, Primadonna (white Echinacea), and a Dahlia called Orion that is stubbornly NOT blooming and ot growing much either. This is where I had the blue Bachelor buttons, if you recall. It is behind my Tasha Tudor pink HHs in the Statue Garden /shade-tropical gardens are adjoined.

I bought some more pine mulch to add to it. I need to go do that before this rain we've been promised arrives.

Keep those photos coming from time to time Tom, so we can see how it all flushes out. After looking at the rest of your garden(s), I am sure it will be absolutely gorgeous!!!

~Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: New Rose Bed - in process

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I looked for a Mr. Lincoln rose two days ago, but all roses were gone! I will order one for spring delivery. I like the idea of a dedicated rose bed.....that way you can care for them all at once.

Both of your beds are going to look wonderful....be sure and show us when they are in their full glory.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Gldno1, I checked my local nursery for a Mr. Lincoln too because of all the great comments on the other thread. Sold out. Better luck next year!

Tom and Annie I can smell the wonderful bouquets you'll get from those rose gardens already! Beautiful!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

Since the rains, Bermuda grass has taken one end of my rose/pink Rose Bed. When I started in with the grubbing hoe, I whacked the top off a Gerbera daisy I'd forgotten. Woe.

What is it that is so compelling about roses, once you start? I haven't a red Rose Bed yet, but little Red Cascade is encouraging.

{{gwi:627427}}

Nell

• Annie
    14 years ago

Oh, Nell. That Red Cascade is a rare beauty.
    I have a miniature red rose that has blooms that look much like that, except tiny, of course. I hope to make cuttings off it so I can have more. It blooms and blooms and blooms with just a week's pause in between batches. It's been sitting in a pot since I bought it in May and yet it hasn't stop blooming for me. She's a keeper! (I had to build a new place to plant her - talk about horse before cart)

I plan on rooting more cuttings of Belinda's Dream. She roots easily. I want to fill that statue garden with those lovely pink roses. What huge blooms.

I can't believe how I have become such a rose nut. I never understood why people went so gah gah over roses, but now I am one of those goofy rose lovers. I can't seem to get enough of them and I have the scars and bloody holes in my hands and arms to prove it!!!
    Bye, bye lawn! I have to make more room for ROSES!

Maybe it's a symptom of the "Empty Nest Syndrome" and being middle age? :) Seems like that is when it hits most people.

~Annie

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm 36. My truck is red. I'm in the middle of an early mid-life crisis. I like the smells.

Thanks for sharing Annie. I can't wait to see these two grow up together.

• frogview00
    14 years ago

Its more contagious than the Swine Flu. :)

• Annie
    14 years ago

Roses...when I shop for them, I sniff each one. No smell...no purchase.

I have a little red pickup truck. Well, she used to be red. Kind of faded to brick pink now and kinda bald in places. Poor old girl. Her engine has turned over two times and about to turn over again. I've driven her all over the USA. She needs transmission work and then we'll be on the road again, out getting rocks.

Frogview00...boy did you say it!
    Roses can get to be a contagion.

Tom. I wasn't trying to hijack your topic. Honest. It's just that I get so excited about gardening! Sorry if I intruded.

~Annie

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not at all Annie. There are so many people here to draw influences from. That's the point of these threads, for me. I love seeing what others are doing and growing.

I've made the mistake of purchasing roses not in bloom. It's how my orange rose ended up pink and without a drop of fragrance. MR Lincoln was purchased with two blooms so I know what he/she smells like.

Bunch of enablers around here. ;)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting