Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

Non-Plants in the Garden

Nell Jean
14 years ago

We've had a Blue thread, and a Purple and an Orange. Let's show garden views that are not plant-focused.

Here's two recent of mine:

{{gwi:627623}}

{{gwi:627624}}

What is in your garden not blooming, not foliage?

Nell

Comments (16)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

You have touched on my total failure.

I have no interests besides the flowers....I keep meaning to do something, but just never get around to it.

I will be watching this one closely for good ideas.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Gldno1, I'm with you. I don't have much in the garden besides plants. I see a lot of great stuff but then I think about how many plants I can buy with that money and the plants always win!! I am very much looking forward to seeing what everyone shares on this thread. It may push me in a much-needed direction in the garden.

Nell, very cute accessories!!

• treelover
    14 years ago

Other than my multitude of felines (none of whom wanted to be photographed tonight), I don't have much that's decorative.

A limestone sculpture made by a friend. This has always made me think of something winged:
    {{gwi:627626}}

A life sized cement bullfrog:
    {{gwi:627628}}

And a chair--usually occupied by one of the cats:
    {{gwi:627630}}

• wants-a-green-thumb
    14 years ago

I'm so jealous of all your gardens. Unlike you I know what "stuff" I want in my gardens, just can't figure out what to plant where...

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of stuff to plant around

• token28001
    14 years ago

I have a windchime I built from pieces of chain link fence post, a lazy Susan, and some wire.

{{gwi:627631}}

And there's my "Constructive Staring" chair I built from recycled pallets.

{{gwi:627632}}

My birdfeeder is hung from very thin wire well away from the trunk. The squirrels can leap to it, but can't hang on too well.

{{gwi:627633}}

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Oh what fun to come here and see this post. I'm repainting my water foutain so if I ever get it finished I'll post so I can join the fun here. It's almost midnight so I need to get off here and think about bed soon. Punk

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Tom, you have the soul of an artist and the skills of a carpenter. That is a great combination for a gardener and homeowner!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Tom, that windchime is ingenious!

While I don't have a whole lot in my garden I wanted to share this picture from my mom's garden because of the story behind it. We had gone on a mother/daughter English garden tour trip. At Hever Castle they were selling statuary. We saw this little guy and knew he had to come back to the states with us. He weighs about 35 lbs and we lugged him around and finally back to his resting spot in NC. My mom and I have a lot of fond gardening memories but this is one of my favorites. It took 2 of us to carry this bulky guy home. Now that's teamwork and dedication to the garden! LOL!!

{{gwi:627634}}

• lindakimy
    14 years ago

Oh, he's a cute one, thyme!

Almost everything of this nature that is in my garden is "found", mostly things that were left behind by the previous owner. This is not a great photo but you can see some of the things -

{{gwi:627636}}

Everything except the cylindrical bird feeder was left here as trash. The bird bath is broken but still serves to catch the seeds that spill from the bird feeder and is spacious enough for the chubby doves to visit. (I feel a kinship with all the birds whose...ahem...fluffiness prevents them from fitting on the tiny perches provided on the feeder.) Even the blocks and rails I've used to mark the back of my borders were here, scattered in the woods!

Here's another birdbath and my swing. These are ones I actually purchased.

{{gwi:627637}} (last year's photo; the asters are not blooming yet this year)

• blondiesc
    14 years ago

I love all of these pics!

Linda - Hey neighbor! - You certainly inherited some great garden treasures.

This is a vise that belonged to my Granddad. When I was a little girl he had this under his hickory nut tree. I grew up thinking that it was a nut cracker, that is what all of us kids used it for. Now it is one of my most prized possessions.
    {{gwi:61179}}

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

My wife is not a gardener but likes to contribute to the effort non the less. My grandchildren love to 'decorate' Papa's Garden too, so I have lots of non plant 'decorations'.
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Extras

• treelover
    14 years ago

Jim: Your bullfrogs are very stylish! I need to find mine a cowboy hat . . .

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I just this morning realized I do have two in fact. They mean so much more to me because our grandson found them in the old dump on the farm and wheeled one about a 1/4 mile down to the house and wanted to know if I wanted it. He said there was another he would get.....I sent DH with the ATV to help him haul it back.

I think of him every time I see them. I do need to figure out a way to prop them up a bit. I have one on each side of the front drive.

{{gwi:627638}}

• treelover
    14 years ago

It doesn't look bad lying down, gldno. I can picture some small viney, flowering plants growing through the spokes.

• natalie4b
    14 years ago

href="http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p240/gardenofmydreams/April%202009/?action=view&current=NataliesGardenApril1-10th2009110.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:627639}}

{{gwi:627640}}

{{gwi:627641}}

{{gwi:627642}}

{{gwi:627643}}

{{gwi:627644}}

{{gwi:627645}}

{{gwi:627646}}

{{gwi:627647}}

{{gwi:627648}}

{{gwi:627649}}

{{gwi:627650}}

{{gwi:627651}}

{{gwi:627652}}

{{gwi:627653}}

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

You people on this Forum are something else. What a joy to have discovered this Forum this summer and especially this post today. Great pictures and gardens all. treelover, that chair for the cats is just beautiful. token, wait til my husband finds out that my garden chair is now my "Constructive Staring" chair. How wonderful it will be to go back over these pictures and posts during the Win--- (sick word).
    Thank you.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County