Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Some photos from this morning

schoolhouse_gw
14 years ago

Finally took a few photos this morning.

Apocalypse Now dayily

{{gwi:627689}}

Another shot of Apocalypse Now. It's much darker as in first pic.

{{gwi:627691}}

Some dalylilys in a side bed. The dark burgundy among the lighter if you can make it out is Cranberry Cove. Lost the tag of the others.

{{gwi:627694}}

A photo of the same side bed with white Roman Toga daylily (closest I've found to white) and hostas.

{{gwi:627698}}

Comments (9)

• User
    14 years ago

I love that dark lily. And the 2nd pic is just so charming with the chairs and tables and those wonderful boxwoods...looks like a beautiful park scene. c

• gardengranny2
    14 years ago

I also love that dark daylily. I seem to be drawn specifically to the darkest ones.

The only problem is the dark ones disappear from view at a distance.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I too am drawn to the dark maroons and purples. I have Apocalypse Now planted with Ed Brown's Seedling which is an orange, melon colored lily. It's just chugging along this year and wasn't blooming this morning. There is a "Stoplight" Heucherella planted between them, which has yellowish-green foliage.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Apocalypse Now, WOW!!! Very beautiful! The sitting area looks like a very cozy nook.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

That is a beautiful color!! I am also drawn to the dark daylilis. I always find myself looking at them in catalogs. I have one similar to your 'Apocalypse Now', but it is a bit more maroon. Love your table and chairs!
    CMK

• Annie
    14 years ago

What an awesome color!
    And with a name like that - Wow is right!

Your place is work of art.

~Annie

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm so lucky to have a daylily farm right down the road, across the highway from me. It only takes five minutes to walk there - Blanchard's Gardens. Dr. Blanchard is a farm vet and he and his wife had raised daylilies since 1980 or so. Many of them are his own "babies" that he has created by hand pollinating different varieties with each other. Customers walk right out into the rows of lilies to choose and they dig them for you.

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Apocalypse is a wonderful color and it sounds like it will be stunning with your other melon color and the one with yellow green. Please post pictures when the others are blooming. Punk

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ed Brown's Seedling is not so promising. Even Dr. Blanchard remarked about it's "basically sitting there and doing nothing". Mine has had only three buds this year, which wilt before fully opening. I deadheaded the last so called bloom from it this morning. Will replace it with another variety of that color.

I told you my line-up wrong, it should be: a Hypericum (Albury Purple"), Ed Brown's, Appocalypse Now, Stop Light Heucherella, then Clarification daylily(dark pink with purple center). With another Albury Purple Hypericum in the center background of the border.

The soil stays very thin and dry in this young border and the plants must compete with ancient lilac shrubs, so I have to make sure it doesn't dry out too much and mulch real well.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services