Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Just a few Fuchsias

A sampling of what's starting to bloom now, more to come.

{{gwi:627995}}
Bonanza

{{gwi:627997}}
Devonshire Dumpling

{{gwi:627999}}
Diva Rose/Blue

{{gwi:628001}}
Display

{{gwi:628003}}
Red Spider

{{gwi:628005}}
Rocket Fire

{{gwi:628007}}
Rohees New Milenium (one 'n')

Looks like I'm back in the Fuchsia addiction, I'm going to be more selective in the ones I keep, hopefully keep the numbers down to a reasonable amount, at one time I had a collection of 350 give or take a few but that was when I was much younger. 50 is the magic number I have decided on, keeping to that is going to be the hard part. It's like eating peanuts can't just stop at one.

Anyone else growing Fuchsias? Feel free to post them here I'm sure some of you are growing real beauties.

Annette

Comments (7)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Oh. Oh.
    No- I tried once and failed miserably. I'll just sit here and enjoy yours. Bonanza- whew.
    Renee

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Annette, fuchsias are one of those plants that doesn't really like our lower Midwest weather and they certainly wouldn't like this year, one of the hottest (so far) and driest in several years!

When they are well-grown there is nothing more beautiful and yours are! I don't believe I could give them up either.

• Annie
    13 years ago

I have grown them from time to time. Once it gets hot here though, they die, even in the shade.

If I ever get a real greenhouse, with an AC and heater and lots of glass, I will definitely be buying lots of them. I just love them.

I had 'Rocket Fire' one year and 'Diva' another year, or at least they looked like yours. They were beautiful all through spring. Bloomed and bloomed.

Thanks Annette

~Annie

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANK YOU for looking :). I know these don't do well in warmer climates, they don't even appreciate the warm windy julys we have most years. This has been an especially great year for the fuchsias so far.
    I so drool over the plants a lot of you can grow and I can't. I love looking at the pictures over and over again so thought you would like to see some of my fuchsia blooms. Of late I seem to be drawn to taking closeups of flowers rather then overall views which is kind of hard in my garden which is made up of little garden vignettes (sp?)

Glenda my corkscrew vine is actually growing, I will be thrilled if it flowers for me. I must try to winter it as I only had 5 seeds, only one germinated. I also have a blue pea vine, maybe it will bloom for me to. Both are in containers so they can be moved to the greenhouse if necessary.

As far as fuchsias go maybe some of the triphylla types would work in warmer climates, they need more heat then most hybrids.

Annette

• thinman
    13 years ago

Your fuchsias are amazing, Annette. And you think of those as just a few ... my, my. I'm surprised that your user name here isn't Fuchsiaqueen. 350 just boggles my mind.

ThinMan

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

they're so lush and ruffly! beautiful!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL TM, 4 years ago I had over 65 fuchsia baskets hanging in the lathhouse, then there were all the ones in pots on shelves, lots in the greenhouse, more in my little courtyard but not the 350 I had in the 80's. Back then there were several sources where you had your pick of over 500 varieties. Those days are gone, you have to be a Sherlock Holmes to track down other than the same old, same old now. I know of a couple mailorder sources in the states and I did order from the states for a few years but the fuchsias got bogged down in customs, by the time I got them most needed tender loving care. It's a good thing the place I ordered from sent top notch plants, if they hadn't been such healthy plants they wouldn't have survived.
    I think if I counted the ones I have now there's about 30, nose to the ground I'm sure I'll find a few more nice ones, I think 50 is a nice round number to keep but knowing me next year I'll be back up to 100 or so. I've made up my mind to be very selective with what I keep ;) .

Annette

Sponsored