Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Some July Photos

cziga
14 years ago

We've had a very humid, cool and overly wet summer so far, so there are a lot of plants in the garden that are sulking over it. The tomatoes, in particular, seem very unhappy. But here are several shots from July:

Clematis: "Jackmanii"

{{gwi:628046}}

Clematis: "Jackmanii" (different location)

{{gwi:628047}}

The dove that has made her nest in an old basket by our front door - she just sits there quietly and watches us go in and out :)

{{gwi:628048}}

Daylily: "Ice Carnival"

{{gwi:628050}}

Daylily: "Lady Scarlet" (first year blooming for me!)

{{gwi:628053}}

Front Garden: Liatris "Kobold" with Purple Coneflowers

{{gwi:628055}}

Hollyhock: "Creme de Cassis". When in full bloom (not yet), this is one of my favourite plants in the garden!

{{gwi:628057}}

Hydrangea: "Cityline Paris". They said it wouldn't bloom for me in Canada with our temperatures, etc. But here it goes, just starting to open up at the end of July! Very exciting.

{{gwi:628059}}

Phlox: "Franz Schubert"

{{gwi:628061}}

{{gwi:628063}}

Squash: earlier I posted a photo of the flowers. Now here are the squashes! An heirloom variety called "Ronde de Nice":

{{gwi:628065}}

Sunflowers: and our one Monster sunflower that was a volunteer from the birds! At least 10 ft tall, probably more. The sunflowers beside it are about 5-6 ft (regular size).

{{gwi:628066}}

Sunflowers. The light one is a volunteer from last year's seeds. The dark one is called "Moulin Rouge" and is another favourite of mine!

{{gwi:628067}}

Comments (5)

• natal
    14 years ago

I enjoyed that ... especially the mourning dove and squash. I'd never heard of that variety. Had to look it up. Looks much larger than the ball zucchini's I've seen at the market. Is that what it is?

• token28001
    14 years ago

Ok, I have to have seeds for Moulin Rouge. I've looked at them several times and didn't think they'd be as deep a red shade. I got burned this year by Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia. I love that deep red though.

• Annie
    14 years ago

Beautiful flowers and photos of everything.
    The dove is so sweet. How special!

Jackmanii is my favorite Clematis.
    Your daylilies are stunning. I love the special colors! Going to write those names down and see if I can find them.

And talk about! That Creme de Cassis HH is the prettiest HH I have every seen!!! I would love to have some seeds if you have any seeds to spare. Email me if you do.

~Annie

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Beautiful flowers and the picture of the nesting dove is precious. She picked a good camouflaged spot.

I will be glad when my Jackmanii on the porch gets as lush as yours. This is just its second year.

Your pictures of the sunflowers pushed me over the edge. I have looked at Moulin Rouge for several years and just couldn't decide. Got to have it now; I sure hope it will be as dark red as yours.

Another thing I notice is how clean your daylily foliage is. This year mine looked bad the entire season. Also my hollyhocks always get so sorry by this time of year, that I cut them down! Yours is still looking wonderful.

• Vikki1747
    14 years ago

Your pictures are lovely.

That Holyhock is to die for! They don't do well in our heat and humidity. Love, love your clematis. Some of mine are putting forth their 2nd bloom of the summer. I think sunflowers are one of my fav's and yours are amazing. God bless those birds for giving us the unexpected!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden.
    Vikki

Sponsored