Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thyme2dig2

Nice weather (photo heavy)

The weather finally cleared up and I got a crazy idea to climb out on the roof of my farmer's porch and take some pictures from above the cottage area. The cottage garden is in the front of the house off the farmers porch.

{{gwi:628343}}

{{gwi:628344}}

{{gwi:628345}}

Rose Campion is one of those plants that I just let go wherever it feels like. This is a more wild area outside the cottage garden.

{{gwi:628346}}

Front slope in front of the cottage garden.

{{gwi:628347}}

Peeking up to the arbor leading into cottage garden.

{{gwi:628348}}

Anyone know the name of this clematis? I'm tickled that I had purchased it years ago since it's so pretty. It has never bloomed before but I think it must have liked the soaking rains this June. Hmmmmm....maybe if I had a journal like in that other thread I'd know the name! LOL!!!

{{gwi:628349}}

Turning the corner from the cottage garden to the side deck with more shade plants.

{{gwi:628350}}

A little spot under the japanese maple.

{{gwi:628351}}

From the backyard into the cottage/Japanese maple area.

{{gwi:628353}}

Stone steps from driveway into backyard.

{{gwi:267307}}

Thanks for looking. It was nice to get around the yard and get some pictures this past weekend.

Comments (20)

• irene_dsc
    14 years ago

Ooh - I'm loving that rose campion! Not sure if I'm brave enough to set it loose in my garden, but that is tempting.

I love the stone steps, too.

• gardengranny2
    14 years ago

The flowers and foliage are nothing less than stunning.

Don't know the name of your clematis, but I wish it were mine. For many years, I had 2 beautiful large flowering clematis (a purple and a white planted so that they intertwined--names?..I wish I could remember names). Last year they suddenly developed wilt and died. Don't have a clue as to why.

I adore the arbor and the picket fence surrounding the cottage garden.

It all just couldn't be more perfect.

Liz

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

These are STUNNING! It is something I hope to achieve one day!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

Scary to think about you climbing out on a roof to take pics, but it sure is a pretty garden.

Nell

• BecR
    14 years ago

Oh what a very lovely garden you have! :) Becky

• Vikki1747
    14 years ago

I loved the tour of your garden. I think overhead garden pictures are the best. Your courtyard area is stunning. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Vikki

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

My goodness, what a lovely garden! So many plants that don't grow or do well here. A treat to see your's.

Kathy

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Beautiful.

• lindakimy
    14 years ago

So beautiful!!

I completely agree about letting rose campion roam free. Good thing, too...I doubt I could keep it under control anyway.

• User
    14 years ago

So beautiful...so colorful...co cottage. I just love everything about it. My rose campion should be so pretty...I can hope. I do have great luck though with clemmies .

How did you do the stone steps ? I have a very small place that needs them and I am not sure how to dig it out and set them in...any tips? Thank you. c

• raptorfan
    14 years ago

omigosh its beautiful!!! and I love your arbour!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac on a small street so not too many people see the gardens. It's so nice to share some pictures with a group of gardeners. The slope went through a drastic change about 5 years ago and now I'm really happy with it. Just this year we had the fence and arbor re-painted so that is looking quite fresh for photos. The slates in the cottage area were just re-done this year too. I'll post some more pictures of the cottage garden as the seasons progress. The daylilies should be exploding soon and fall is by far one of my favorite seasons in the cottage area.

Nell, I actually was pretty scared on the porch roof as I'm not a big fan of heights. I wouldn't even stand up. As I was sitting taking the photos I realized just how hot my butt was getting on the black roof in the hot sun!

Trailrunner, how did we do the stone steps? We hired a pro! Sometimes it's just worth it. We were lucky that all the stone was already on our property. It's amazing what can be done with heavy machinery. He did a good job picking out all the flat stones to make the steps. We had a lot of stonework that needed to be done so while we had him here we asked him to build the stairs. We have a number of slopes in the yard and I find it challenging and fun to tackle a slope.

• User
    14 years ago

Well my place is so small...it leads up to the back of the little house to enter the secret garden that I am making. I will have to do them myself. I have a bunch of large flat stones...I have moved them so many times I guess one more time won't kill me LOL. Thanks for sharing your most beautiful garden...I can see it with my eyes closed...c

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Beautiful yard. Looks like alot of work and very well kept. I'd love to have a yard that looked like that also. Punk

• angelcub
    14 years ago

Fabulous! You and gardengranny really know how to mix textures just perfectly. I have serious stone step envy. ; ) My whole property is steep slopes so I can relate.

And thanks for climbing out on that porch roof to take the pics. I love overhead pics. Sometimes I'll take pics from the highest point on our property and I'm always amazed at the perspective it provides. It invariably leads to a nursery trip since I can suddenly see what's lacking.

Btw, what is the evergreen in the 8th pic?

Diana

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

Wonderful! Each picture is deserving of a thousand praises, but my favs are #4, 5, and 6. I love the golden light streaming thru and illuminating your plants in no. six. And I would kill for your stone steps!!
    What is that large, green grass in your first and fourth pics? Giganteus Miscanthus?
    Could your Clematis be C. texensis 'Duchess of Albany' or a similar cultivar? I am no expert on Clematis (can't even keep mine alive) but I have always admired that particular cultivar. Yours is a robust beauty!
    CMK

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

CMK, YAY!! I think you're right on the clematis! I seem to remember Duchess of Albany now that you mention it. Yes the grass is Miscanthus floridulus 'Giganteus', Giant Chinese Silver Grass. It is a monster but I love it, especially in the fall and you can't beat the winter interest.

Diana, that is a dwarf alberta spruce. We have them in various places around the property. I really like the bit of formality they add in a casual garden.

• reginaz
    14 years ago

What a beautiful setting! It looks like you have the right combination of sun and shade and as others have said, many interesting textures. I also like the stone steps. Regina

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

thyme, i can't say enough about your gardens, just that i am very jealous. They are exactly what I would have if. Please keep posting updates. What a joy to follow.
    pat

• bellarosa
    14 years ago

beautiful garden! thanks for sharing your pics. your clematis looks like, 'Duchess of Albany'.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!