Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Garden pix- nothing special, nothing new

I never got around to post pics of the garden. I procrastinate too much. These arn't new pics, they are from mid-May to mid-June. They arn't very interesting to look at after so long a time has passed.

Anyhow, here are a few.

Top view of the garden, looking down out of the bedroom window. It is a little blurry...I think it was drizzling when I took this.

{{gwi:628615}}

Long view of main gardens. Late May I think.

{{gwi:628618}}

{{gwi:628626}}

I don't know if anyone remembers my post about it, but there used to be a huge apple tree in this bed last year. That pink plant in the front of the pic is beside the stump. I am not really happy with this bed. It is so bare. But I suppose I shouldn't be too upset, I only took the tree out last Aug.

{{gwi:628631}}

May Garden.

{{gwi:628639}}

I call this my 'Peony Bed' because my favorite Peony resides here. She isn't blooming yet in this pic, May I think.

{{gwi:628645}}

Patio Garden in June.

{{gwi:628651}}

Plants by Patio Garden in June.

{{gwi:284555}}

I love this bed. It is across from my arbor.

{{gwi:628653}}

Plants in shade garden. June.

{{gwi:628654}}

Side of house garden. There was only a pile of river rocks out here until I put the bed in. That was in 2007. It pretty much takes care of itself, which I love. Quite a few 'extras' go here that tolerate heat.

{{gwi:628655}}

This is a pic for Nancy. She wanted to see my Bean Poles. Just beyond that is the veggie garden. The poles are 8ft. maple branches stuck one foot in the ground. Then I strung wire from HD across them.

{{gwi:628660}}

The garden is greatly changed now in Summer. The colors are hot, yellows, reds, etc. This is the first year I don't actually hate the summer garden. Maybe it is just filling in more. It certainly isn't like the spring garden (my fav), but it is okay. Lol, at the rate I go summer pics will likely be posted in the fall! He he.

Thank you for looking.

Christin (CMK)

Comments (11)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

CMK, Your garden is beautiful! I LOVE the lime-green table and chairs! Thank you so much for sharing these pictures. I have some questions for you.

Picture #1, is that a columbine in the lower-right of the photo? It looks so cute and tiny. What variety?

Picture #5, what is the dark plant in front of the peony?

Which peony is your favorite that is not in bloom and why?
    I'm a huge fan of peonies and like to find out what varieties everyone else loves.

In the patio garden in June picture, what are those fuzzy seed heads (pinkish) in the middle of the photo?

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Christin, I think it looks pretty special! Well tended and well grown and just very pretty. I love all the variety you have. Thanks for taking the time to post these no matter when they were taken.

Now let's seem some of those hot weather colors.

glenda

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much!

-thyme2dig, you know, I have no clue what that Columbine is. It was handed down from my grandmother. I have searched in books on Aquilegia and on dave's garden before but could find nothing. It looks rather like the species columbine (canadensis/formosa/skinneri) in color, but not habit. It is still blooming now (few left anyway). The pods are still fresh and green, but I could send you seed later, if you remind me. ;-)

In pic five...the dark red-foliaged plant? That is Lysimachia ciliata 'Firecracker'. It spreads like wildfire. But I haven't found any plant that matches it in foliage color and toughness.

The fuzzy seedheads belong to my Geum triflorum 'Prairie Smoke'. The first two years it was a let down because it only put out a few seedheads. I was tempted to move it out. But this year it put on a wonderful show.

My favorite Peony is P. lactiflora 'Madame Emile Debatene'. I have show it here waaaaay too many times. I think I posted a pic of her on another discussion post a little while back...

-Glenda, thank you so very much! I was afraid the pics would be a little irrelevant after so long.
    CMK

• dawiff
    14 years ago

A lovely reminder of spring, now that summer is here! Pictures are never irrelevant. I love that first one taken from the window, looking straight down. So many interesting forms and leaf shapes. A new perspective is so illuminating.

I've had beds that were left bare when trees or shrubs died, they are always so discouraging to look at, until they fill out. Bare dirt is so dull. I just bought some seeds for Geum triflorum 'Prairie Smoke', so I was delighted to see yours. I thought that was what it was before you answered. I'm glad it looks as interesting in your picture as it did on the seed website.

What is that plant with the huge leaves up against the wall of the garage, beside the compost bin in the last photo?

And I, for one, don't mind waiting till October, or even December, to be reminded of summer.

• Annie
    14 years ago

Christin,
    You silly goose!
    Your garden is gorgeous!
    How could garden pictures EVER be irrelevant on the Cottage Garden Forum? I love looking at garden photos of any season.

I am so glad you posted all these.
    That Prairie Smoke really is beautiful!

So many colors and textures. Love it.

Yes, please post your sizzling summer photos!!!

~Annie

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

Pictures are only irrelevant if you fail to say WHEN they were taken and have people wondering how you coaxed tulips in July. Now we want to see timely pics, for comparison.

Are you going to plant another tree or some shrubs in the bed where the apple tree fell down?

Nell

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much everyone! I love sharing my garden with you!

-dawiff, I believe you are looking at the Rhubarb plant. Isn't it neat? I love the fact that it is edible and decorative. It gets some shade, which I think makes it grow even larger. The blooms are neat too; they are like giant Astilbes. And it looks so alien-like comming out of the ground in spring.

-Annie, oh you are wonderful! Thank you for your kind comments, they are very much appreciated. ;-)

-Nell, tulips in July! If only I could! I am having trouble finding things to fill the space. I am trying to find an evergreen shrub and a few larger plants to fill the space. I am always at a loss as to what to put in full sun. If this were a shade garden it would already be full, lol!
    I was thinking of: a late blooming tree Peony in yellow, white, or orange-ish, a gold evergreen shrub, Ironweed, a large perennial geranium, and a large type of Euphorbia. Maybe a rose too, though I am a little wary of roses, since I don't have the best of luck with them sometimes. I also want to put some focal point there, like an obelisk or statue. What do you guys think of those plants? Have any other suggestions?

Oh! I forgot to post this pic. I like this one. I had a row of Iris here, but took them out and replaced them with large rocks to finish the pathway. It looks so much better.
    {{gwi:628664}}
    CMK

• irene_dsc
    14 years ago

Purty pics! I especially like the patio pics, and the dark red flower that I can't tell what it is.

• janroze
    14 years ago

hi mink, Love your gardens and am green eyed over everyone's large spaces.
    What's the gorgeous blue hosta in front of "Patriot?" and behind S&S?
    gramma jan

• mora
    14 years ago

Christin, wow ! Martha

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Irene and Martha!

-Gramma Jan, thanks! I am afraid the hosta did not come with a tag when I bought it, but I am fairly certain it is 'Halcyon'. It has such a great blue color to it that doesn't fade out (though less water seems to help that too). That gold hosta is actually 'August Moon', which is also a great plant. Please tell me (I am so curious now!!), what does 'mink' mean?
    CMK

Sponsored