Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

August Flowers and Garden

Annie
14 years ago

I took these this morning.

I am pretty pleased how everything is looking despite the terrible heat wave (again) and lack of rain (again).

Everything looks pretty good in the morning before it gets so hot, then many plants wilt in the heat of the day and I am busy dragging the garden hose around. But it's a good time to weed and make plans to fix what I don't like or what isn't working in each area. I clean out spent leaves and prune and edge the beds and it looks good again for a few days.

The lawn in the back yard look fantastic since we applied the Weed and Feed in May. There was not much grass then, but with running the sprinkler every day and the occasional rains, it soon filled in and is looking green and cool. Very inviting lawn now.

Tonight we are getting a terrific thunderstorm and a deluge of welcome rain! Yippee!

Here are some photos I took this morning:

Rosa, Double Delight (first year)

{{gwi:628811}}

Full Bloom

{{gwi:628812}}

Another Full Bloom on same Double Delight rose bush

{{gwi:628814}}

The fragrance is very much like that of a Peony and just a strong. It scents the air all around the patio.

Verbena bonariensis

First year flowers! I am thrilled!

{{gwi:628815}}

This is in the Potager area. Salvias and Bronze Fennel in bloom.

{{gwi:628816}}

Black and Blue Salvia by Patio

Tall Maximillion Sunflower behind it, not blooming yet.

{{gwi:628817}}

Rosa, Mister Lincoln and Salvia, Blue Bedder

{{gwi:628818}}

Nicotiana, Pinkish Red - tall

{{gwi:628819}}

~Annie

Comments (9)

• gldno1
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The flowers are looking good. I am so glad you are getting rain! We finally got 2 inches yesterday and were so happy.

glenda

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Very nice!

Can you grow shrimp plant in your area?
    If so I'll give you a start of this type, this fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: cocktail shrimp plant

• BecR
    14 years ago

Gorgeous, Annie! I especially love the photo of your Double Delight rose! Love the fragrance of this rose, too. For some reason the pic of Mister Lincoln isn't showing. Becky

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Annie, I'm really impressed. My garden is bone dry and looking so sad and awful!!!

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are some more pics of my August flowers and garden:

Take a tour through my gardens!
    {{gwi:628820}} Purple Feather Grass and Coral Nymph Salvia.

{{gwi:628821}} Roses and Salvia.

{{gwi:628822}} Beauty Secret, a miniature red rose.

{{gwi:628823}} New Rose Bed - filling in nicely with annuals until the roses get bigger, like self-seeded Cosmos, Salvias and some Dianthus too. I love these little Dianthus. They have burgundy leaves and pink and red flowers. Darling little plants.
    The Pat Austin rose cutting that I got from plantmaven is making three bloom buds. I love orange roses. I can't wait!

{{gwi:628824}} Salvias: Indigo Spires (from plantmaven), Lady in Red, and Coral Nymph.

{{gwi:628826}} New bed I built in January. Will be adding more shade-loving plants in there - just not sure what to plant there. In the back of this bed to the left is the Variegated or Dappled Willow that I got from gottagarden. It is doing wonderfully there. Lots of new growth.

{{gwi:628828}} Vegetable-Herb Garden up on the hill in the back yard. There are Roma Tomatoes, Beefsteak Tomatoes, Red Delicious Tomatoes, Bush Beans, Sevin Tops Turnip Greens, Jalapeno Peppers, Hot yellow Hungarian Peppers, Yellow Crookneck Squash, Zucchini Squash, Spineless Okra, Hale's Best Muskmelons, Martha Washington Asparagus and Cocozelle Squash. A lot of veggies in a small garden plot. There is a rose growing on the arbor in the center - Damask rose, 'Ispahan' (see description below)...my favorite rose. Heavenly Blue Morning glories grow there too on the west side (left) that self-seeded from last year, and Mina Lobata (Spanish Flags) I planted this year which has practically covered the arbor on the east side (right) now but not blooming yet for some darned reason. Petunias grow on either side and pink & white Dianthus. The old garden rose on the fence on the west side (left) is an old rose that I dug up at the family cemetery. It is covered in tiny pink fragrant blooms in spring. It is the predesessor of the much loved, Pink Fairy, but unlike it's offspring, it only blooms once a year and is BAD about getting powdery mildew. Still, I grow it and love it. No one is perfect! The green grass looking plants in foreground are actually Garlic Chives. It has reseeded so much that it now has run amok throughout the garden and practically taken over the herb garden! Eeek! I am trying to get it all chopped out. One area to go! The same thing happened with the Oregano I had planted on either side of the entry path. I now have it under control. Gads!

{{gwi:628829}} I love accidents like this combo.

{{gwi:628830}} Pretty Blue Flowers of the Chicory Plant.

{{gwi:628831}} White Zinnias and Pink Double Knock-Out Rose (looks red to me!)

{{gwi:628832}} Feather Grasses, Magnus Coneflowers, Purple Garden Phlox, Wild Prairie Verbena and Blue Fescue grass edge the steps down to the Koi pond in the lower garden. There are irises and other plants too. The Old Garden Rose clump on the right at the bottom is my favorite rose. It has very, very sweet, fragrant, blousy medium pink roses that begin to bloom in May and blooms from 6-8 weeks every spring. It has been finally identified as the Damask rose, 'Ispahan', which is also known as 'Rose d'Isfahan' and 'Pompon des Princes' is one of the finest Damask roses. It's origin is in the Middle East before 1832. The foliage is small, dark green, and rough with a slight bluish cast. 'Ispahan' forms an upright bush 4' - 7' high and 3' - 4' wide. It is stoleniferous, spreading by stollens. The canes are long, upright, and slender. I keep this clump cut into a shrub, but have it in another area trained up on poles and over an archway. I am planting it everywhere I have the space. It is my very favorite rose. Oh, that I could preserve its fragrance in a bottle to enjoy year round. Blooms dry well and make good poppouri, saches or filler for dream pillows.

{{gwi:628833}} Weeping Willow in lower garden at the lower west side of the Potager.

{{gwi:628834}} Potager in August.

{{gwi:628835}} Pretty Butterfly on my shoulder. :)

{{gwi:628836}} Corkscrew Willow Wattle Fencing - adding twigs as I acquire them.

{{gwi:628837}} Partial view of the Wattle Fence. I want to build a Higgelty-Piggelty Arch over the gate next to this for my American Rose to grow up on.

{{gwi:628838}} I love this Butterfly bush, "Buddeleia Lindleyana". It has graceful, arching branches and the flowers are very different from other Butterfly bushes. Very drought tolerant. It has a stolleniferous habit which some people don't like, but I don't mind. It can spread where I plant it all it wants. I can shovel prune it out of where I don't want it. Doesn't spread fast in my dry, sandy soil. I like how this clump is growing under the Black Japanese Pine. Lovely combo and both benefit from one another. It created a great screen.

{{gwi:628839}} I took this photo early yesterday morning of my Back Yard looking towards my house. Later, I planted a River Birch right about where I stood to take this photo. It balanced things nicely. I will post a picture to show it later.

{{gwi:628840}} Another view of back yard. No more weeds - just beautiful cool, green lawn. The Wisteria tree (right) is a Pink variety. Beautiful thing and yummy fragrance.

{{gwi:628842}} New Garden Area - this is where I had the San Marzano Tomatoes earlier this summer. I moved quite a few of my daylilies over here, planted some Primadonna Coneflowers in here, irises including the 'Samauri Warrior' and Euphorbia Chameleon (Swamp Spurge), both of which I got from GG, and Apricot Hollyhocks. I planted the new daylily, 'Apocalypse Now' from schoolhouse's favorite daylily farm in here, too. The huge pot contains perennial white Stocks that I grew from seed. There are yellow& white Snapdragons, which I love. The Perennial Stocks will look better once they are established. This whole area will take on a different design next year as I gradually make the changes. There will be a big Cattle Panel arch with Gardenia Rose growing on it (that I grew from a cutting from plantmaven in 2007) to define the transition from the flower gardens by the house into the backyard lawn and trees on the hill.
    I hope it turns out like my plans.

Hope you enjoy - these photos were taken in various garden areas around my back yard yesterday morning.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Kathy,

I have one variety which I got this year. I have to grow them in pots so I can take them inside in the autumn. But, yes, I would love a slip of yours. It's adorable! Cute little shrimp cocktail flowers. :)

And Glenda,
    We got a deluge of rain yesterday and all night long and it is still overcast and raining. In fact it is downright dark out there right now. I can see blue sky to the north now, so it looks to be clearing off. I am thrilled with all the rainfall amounts. Haven't measured it yet, but I would venture to guess it could be well over 3 inches. Ya-hoo!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ~Annie

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Annie, Looks like you have a wonderful yard full of variety. I have had fun just looking at all the different plants you have. You must love to go out everyday and look for something new that's blooming. You seem to have so much in bloom right now. Thanks for sharing. Punk

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

Wow, Annie, I love your gardens. Everything looks so lush and healthy. I feel right at home touring along with you.

Thank you for a nice way to head off to work today.

FlowerLady

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Oh! I went out this morning to find my Coral Nymph blooming.

k

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

I would feel so at home in your garden Annie, along with all your lovely flowers it looks so lush and healthy. I don't have much blooming right now, have to give this some serious thought.
    Flower catalogs are starting to arrive, I'm trying very hard not to be tempted but there's another double fringed tulip I'm lusting after and then there's the ...LOL. Here I go again.

Annette

Sponsored