Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Flower Market Gardening

thinman
13 years ago

It's far from cottage gardening, but here are a few shots of my farmers' market display and one of part of my cutting garden. I hope they are fun for you to see.

On Juy 7th

These were taken on August 7th and 14th

{{gwi:629124}}

{{gwi:629125}}

{{gwi:629126}}

Here are some scabiosa, cosmos, marigolds, two different kinds of amaranth, and probably some other stuff that I can't remember as I am typing this.

{{gwi:629127}}

ThinMan

Comments (15)

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

How pretty!
    If we did that this time of year the flowers and the people would be drooping!

Y'all must not have near the critters as we have here in hot central TX.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Kathy. If we did it at any other time of the year, we'd be too chilly. I think you're right about fewer critters. It's one of the advantages of a frigid winter. There might be another one, but I can't think of one right at the moment. :-)

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Your market setup is very similar to the one we have down on the waterfront here. There's a good mix of product at ours, booths selling honey, veggies, jams and jellies, plants, flowers, crafts and much more.
    Your display looks very inviting and you have some gorgeous bouquets, looking at what you have them priced at I'm betting they go very fast, your type of bouquets would be priced a little higher here.

Annette

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Annette, and thanks. I do usually sell out, sometimes early. I've raised my prices about 25% this year because DW and others told me they were too low. It doesn't seem to have affected sales at all. My main competitor has higher prices for fewer flowers, but gets those prices because he offers them in more original containers. It's something I have to think about for next year. Any ideas? :-)

TM

13 years ago

TM, you just sell the bouquets not the containers right? Are you looking for something to make your containers look more uniform in your display? What is your competitor using, does he sell his containers with the bouquets? Constructive thinking cap on here LOL.

Annette

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I generally sell just the bouquets, though I can add a vase for extra bucks if they need one. My competitor does three different things:

1. Small vases about the size of a jelly jar with floral foam inside and maybe eight or ten short flowers. $6

2. Small plastic-lined baskets with foam inside and maybe twelve to fifteen shortish flowers. $12

3. Brown lunch bags lined with plastic, with foam and maybe twelve to fifteen flowers a little taller than the lunch bags. I think the price is $10.

In each case, the container goes with the flowers. He sells quite a few of each. I'd like to come up with some kind of clever but inexpensive and smallish, maybe 1 pint, container. So far, I've been looking at decorative Mason jars.

Thanks for taking an interest, Annette.

TM

13 years ago

I see most of the containers you are using have necks, one idea would be to cover them... buy a roll of burlap, cut squares big enough to cover and hide the rim of the containers, finish it off with a bit of ribbon or raffia around the neck. I think burlap would make a nice frame for your bouquets, but that's just me. Get every one to save their gift ribbon for you, recycle, recycle, recycle :).
    What really looks sharp with burlap is red metallic mesh ribbon. I did a christmas gift with burlap and this red ribbon last christmas, it was a big hit. I recycled the ribbon from a gift I received the year before, my daughter is going to recycle it again this christmas. I think this piece of ribbon will be passed around within the family until it falls apart LOL.

Annette

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That sounds like a very cool idea, Annette. I'm going to take a hard look at that. Do you think circles of burlap would look any better than squares? I'll be looking up that ribbon. I don't think I've ever seen it, but then I'm not exactly knowledgeable about ribbons. I'm having to learn a whole bunch of stuff to sell flowers that I never thought I would need to know.

Thanks for helping me out.

TM

13 years ago

TM, I tried looking up red metallic mesh ribbon and could only find gold and silver, I don't know where my son found it, somewhere in Vancouver, if you have a big craft store in your neighborhood have a look in their ribbon section.

Square or circular, try both, see which one you like the most. I think square would give a more informal look.

Annette

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

The millet and glad arrangement is just stunning.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll be looking, Annette. Thanks.

Thanks, Hosenemesis. That one sat there for a while until the right person came along and happily snatched it up.

TM

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Tom, I enjoyed the pictures. Your booth is very attractive and the bouquets are beautiful.

Are you set up in a residential neighborhood? Here they are all on various business' parking lots.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glenda, we are actually set up on one end of our small town's Main Street. The town's business district is directly behind where I was standing when I took the first picture.

TM

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Wow! I really admire your bouquets, they are so beautiful. I dont have any creative ideas for vases at the moment, but ribbon can spruce up thrift store vases.
    Just wanted to say i really like your flowers!

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Lilyfinch. I'm always happy to hear that they look good.

TM

Sponsored