{{gwi:629139}}

{{gwi:629140}}

{{gwi:629141}}

{{gwi:629142}}

{{gwi:629143}}

{{gwi:629146}}

{{gwi:629149}}

{{gwi:629152}}

I even enjoy the satisfaction of realizing when something I tried didn't work.

{{gwi:629154}}

Comments (12)

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Everything looks great!

I have not been here for awhile as I got a virus that shut down my old laptop.

I now have a new HP with a webcam....not that I will ever use the webcam.

It is sooooo hot here. I don't even want to go outside, let alone work out side.
    I would have to get up at 4:00 a.m. and use a flash light.

k

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Tom, a feast for the eyes, you've done wonders with your place inside and out. And to think most of your garden is from winter sowing. Great job, well done.

Annette

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

I can see why Tom, they are gorgeous. You've done a fantastic job in such a short period of time. I always enjoy reading your blog posts over in blogland.

FlowerLady

• neverenoughflowers
    13 years ago

Everything looks beautiful in spite of the outrageous heat and lack of rain you have had. I have to agree with you from one of your other post that if it can't hold up it has to go.
    I always enjoy your posts.

Carol

• mcr1968
    13 years ago

Tom: Everything is beautiful! Just wanted to let you know that you are the reason that I'm giving winter sowing a try this year. Wish me luck!

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

really pretty!
    tanya

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Tom, your garden must give you a great deal of satisfaction knowing you did it all with mostly seeds and cuttings.

You should enjoy it, it looks beautiful.

glenda

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Good to see you again! Your garden is always so inspiring. Its you i have to thank for my wintersowing success. Thanks!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

What didn't work? It all looks wonderful. I love the hot colors.
    Renee

• token28001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What didn't work?

Rudbeckia hirta. It turns ugly real fast in the heat. Goldstrum is a better plant.
    Veggies. Very disappointing year for everything including tomatoes and squash. A handful of beans was all I got.
    Four O'clocks. They're tall and lanky with hardly any leaves.
    Hybrid Tea Roses. Too hot and humid. Black spot and it didn't matter if I sprayed or not.
    Many of my wintersown seedlings eventually succumbed to the heat. Even watering didn't help. The heat was just too intense for too long this year.
    The meadow. I mowed it down a few weeks ago. Scattering seeds worked for some plants, not for others. Cosmos didn't even germinate well.

My favorites. R. fulgida, upright sedums, agastache, a few hibiscus, grasses, Joe Pye Weed. I'm going to be redoing some beds this fall, removing others, and sowing seeds this winter from the plants that survived the summer.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Ah yes. So sorry about the heat. We got cool this summer, so plants that I generally pull out by June were still in great shape in August. Very unusual. But it's coming today: they predict 108 in Simi today and through the week in the the triple digits. Boo.
    Renee

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Tom,
    What is that plant that looks like yellow daisies in the pictures? Is it a coreopsis or variety of daisy? Perennial?
    How tall does it get? It looks like lemon sherbert. I like it.

Sponsored