Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengranny2_gw

The garden in mid August ( very long and photo heavy)

gardengranny2
14 years ago

It has been quite some time since my last post.

In late June I saw my rheumatologist for my scheduled check-up which is mostly to monitor my blood work for side effects from the serious pharmaceuticals used to control my rheumatoid arthritis. These drugs can do major damage to the liver.

It had been about a year since my last major flare. The doc informed me that perhaps I had gone into remission. I was to wean off the meds and come back for my 3 month check up in October. Call him if I had any problems before then.

I started a major flare in the 2nd week of July. Everyday I hoped upon hope that it would dissipate on its own. I was totally immobilized. I couldn't even dress myself--needed DH's assistance.

Finally went to see the doc August 14. My joints all swollen and inflamed, unable to lift my arms, unable to fix my hair. DH did the best he could to help me look decent enough to go to the doc, but, oh well....

I was in such obvious bad shape that the doc was afraid to touch me for fear it would cause increased pain.

Evidently, the RA had been being controlled by the meds. I would have to take a double dosage of Plaquenil for the next 30 days in addition to my weekly dosage of methotrexate. At the end of 30 days I could return to the regular dosage of Plaquenil.

Since it takes time for these meds to build up in the bloodstream, he gave me a cortisone shot to help me make it for the next six weeks.

As a result, I have only this morning been able to get into the garden. Not to work---only to look.

Fortunately, DH has been on vacation. Good for me, but, I didn't want for him to use his vacation to be my nurse. His assistance on every front was welcomed and appreciated.

What a mess! There aren't many weeds, but there are weeds.

DH did remove stems of some things that were totally finished. Other than that, no dead heading has been done.

And it won't be. As I don't expect to be in any condition to work in the garden until at least next weekend, I am just going to start to put the garden to bed for this year.

Plus the fact that we are guardedly anticipating an hurricane by Saturday.

Somethings don't look too bad, but the rest is horrendous.

I am somewhat surprised by how much color is still left at this point. Somehow, I forget every year.

{{gwi:629295}}

{{gwi:629297}}

{{gwi:629299}}

{{gwi:629300}}

{{gwi:629301}}

{{gwi:629302}}

{{gwi:629303}}

{{gwi:629305}}

{{gwi:629306}}

{{gwi:629307}}

{{gwi:629308}}

{{gwi:629309}}

{{gwi:629310}}

{{gwi:629311}}

Comments (10)

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dear GardenGranny ~ In spite of your health issues, your gardens are lovely. Everything looks lush and you have some wonderful bloomers. I want to grow Joe Pye weed, but haven't had success with seeds yet. I need to try again.

I love the different beds you have, and seeing them from different angles.

Thanks for sharing your colorful gardens with us. Hope to see more pictures from you.

Hope you are feeling better.

FlowerLady

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

I am so sorry you are having health issues.

I agree with FlowerLady, everything looks wonderful.

Get better soon.

((((hugs))))

Kathy

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Goodness, that looks GORGEOUS to me. I'm sorry you have not been able to get out and enjoy your gardens, and I am very sorry for your pain.
    Hope you continue to feel better, and I am so glad that you do have medications that help control your symptoms. My mom also suffers from RA in her hands, hips and back - it' is a painful disease.

GGG

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I think for a month of benign neglect things look wonderful!
    I have Joe Pye Weed but it has never looked like yours. I think I need to move it to where it gets more water. It is seed raised; maybe not a good selection.

I am so sorry to hear about the arthritis flare-up. I hope by now the meds have kicked in and are doing their job.

I have worries along those lines, and plan to begin inserting some shrubs and small trees here and there so the beds could just be mowed if need be.

I admire you for keeping on keeping on.

glenda

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

So sorry to hear about your RA flare-up. Your garden beds still look beautiful as always. I travel through CT every once in a while and when I do I always find myself thinking about your beautiful garden.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

Beautiful gardnes gardengranny!
    I have loved seeing your pics from spring to now, charting its wonderful progress.
    I like the bronze tones your shrubs and other plants take on now.

Your Heliopsis is fantastic. Mine seems to be trying to kiss the ground. It leans over so badly! I am tempted to get rid of it.
    What is that large shrub in the first pic? The one on the far right with white-looking caps?

I hope you get better soon and stay safe!
    CMK

• Annie
    14 years ago

Granny,

Your garden is stunning! What weeds?

I love all the colorful flowers and colorful shrubs too. I too have tried to grow Joe Pye weed with no success. My property is just too dry I suppose. I am "pink" with envy. Such a beautiful clump.

I hope your health improves soon. It is hard to enjoy anything when you hurt that much. Lucky you to have a DH who helps you though, even if it may not be quite how you like it or would do it. :)

It sounds just terrible. I don't have RA, so cannot know how bad that might be, but I do have Osteo arthritis, plus bad circulation and Fibromyalgia. I have been having terrible pain this past week or two for no apparent reason that I can determine. Maybe it is the rainy weather. The Fibromyalgia comes and goes with no apparent rhyme or reason, moving from one part of my body to another. Haven't been able to do any garden work other than drag the hose to water and that was all I could do, especially when having to creep along with a cane.
    Isn't it frustrating to want to do things and not be able to? How in the world do you take care of that slope? Man! I couldn't. I would end up falling down, a-- over teacups and rolling down the hill! You are a trooper!!!

Very beautiful photos of beautiful flowers and home.
    Gentle ((hugs)) and best wishes for a speedy remission.

~Annie

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Granny,
    Ditto what every one else has already said.Your yard and flowers are all beautiful,and i didn't see any weeds either.Wish mine looked that good.
    I'm sorry you are suffering with RA,one of my sisters had that and sometimes she suffered tremendously.
    I hope you get some relief soon in the meantime see your gardens with all the beauty that we see.We'll all wave our "Weeds be gone wands" over your gardens.Take care.
    (((((((((((granny))))))))))))
    Kathi

• gardengranny2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful comments.

I must apologize for what must have sounded to all like a pity party. It certainly did to me when I came back and reread my post.

Fortunately, I am feeling much better and my fingers don't look like sausages right now.

As soon as the med's kick in, I will be back 100% to my previous self. It just takes a little time.

For CMK: The shrub in the first pic on the far right with the "white-looking caps" is hydrangea paniculata 'Grandiflora' which I am training to tree form(I hope). I just cut it back this morning. The flowers are so large that they weigh the stems down. And the stems are yet so weak that they may break off.

So, before they break I prune. This way the lower stem becomes hard wood and more able to support the weight next year (again, I hope!).

This plant is new to me as far as training to a 'tree'. I started doing this about 3 yrs. ago. Each year I learn a little more about what I should do to help it along.

Liz

• janroze
    14 years ago

gar gran, It looks terrific. What a gorgeous place and gardens you have. I sure hope you can get out and enjoy your beautiful garden again soon. gramma jan

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting