Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Bush Clover shrub, 2nd.summer

schoolhouse_gw
14 years ago

Someone told me these shrubs get big. I believe it.

{{gwi:629405}}

{{gwi:629407}}

Comments (8)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

That is a lot of growth for just the second year. I really want one of these shrubs, but no one carries them locally. Makes me wonder if they wouldn't do well here.

Do you cut it back each year? Does it require special care?

I may have to order one.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I cut the old growth back to the ground in early Spring this year, but when I was thinking of purchasing this shrub I started a thread here on the Cottage Forum, I think. I received lots of info and growing tips. Someone said they trim their BC back again in May to keep it in check and still have blooms by late summer.

I gave mine no special care and only watered it twice or so during our mini drought this summer - it's mulched. But I did notice that the very tips on many of the leaves turned brown and crispy right before buds set. Not sure if this is common or due to the hot dry weather we had. or wind?

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tips. It sure is a pretty thing.

• lindakimy
    14 years ago

I love it.

The one I started year before last died last winter. It got almost 6 inches tall. (sheesh)

Glad yours is so healthy and that you shared the picture.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I've got one that needs moving BADLY! However, it is very VERY hard to dig up. I was not successful and will need to get someone over here to help me when we get the new fences put in.
    So please plant this big boy where you want it!!!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was just thinking tonight that I'd like to dig up a piece of it for a neighbor. Yikes.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

What a beauty! Girlgroup thanks for the tip. I just picked up a teeny-tiny one this season and I have yet to plant it. I'll make sure to get it in the right spot on the first try. Which is a feat that I rarely accomplish!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This afternoon, mine was COVERED with Japanese Beetles! UGH! I started squishing left and right.

Just think if you planted a long row of these to form a hedge. Wouldn't that be a sight? Of course you wouldn't see anything all winter but still...

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH