Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Merlin's Magic coleus

schoolhouse_gw
14 years ago

I have two of these in urns in the the sunken garden. The bloom is a combination of dark and light blue, very pretty. I normally plant scented geranium in these containers but saw the coleus and had to try it.

{{gwi:629415}}

Comments (10)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Very pretty, great combination with your lovely urn. It's very close in color to my fav of this type of Coleus 'Kiwi Fern', then there's Inky fingers and India Frills slightly different in colors but same leaf type.
    When did they change the name to Solenostemon scutellarioides? Now that's a mouthful and a half, I still refer to them as Coleus thank you very much.

Annette

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Lovely combination, the plant and the surrounding stone, including the urn!

Is this one of the 'sun' coleus?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gldno 1, I'm not that familiar with coleus as I don't plant them often; however this Merlin's Magic is growing in full mid-day and afternoon sun. Here is the second one, a better photo. You can just make out the bloom (nearly spent) on the right.

{{gwi:629416}}

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Now, I could deal with a pot like that. Usually I am not a pot person, but that coleus really appeals to me.

Course, the charming pots help....don't have any of those!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bought those urns at Lowes one year for like $22 at an end of season sale. There were no holes in the bottom, so I had to drill some. They are terra cotta with an "aged" finish on them, which has not faded surprisingly plus the this sunken garden has a floor of moss, so is fairly damp - not wet tho - and the urns have taken on a green cast around the bottoms.
    I put them in the storage shed over winter.

• Annie
    14 years ago

Just beautiful!

I am so jealous that you have native rocks that exactly match your urns and statuary!

I love Coleus. I buy some every year and much of it comes back from seed since I let them flower and go to seed. I had a coleus very similar for several years. It died late last winter when the power went out due to snow and ice. It looks divine with Pentas.

~Annie

• kristin_flower
    14 years ago

Love your urns, lion, stone, boxwood and mossy groundcover! I guess I love everything in your pictures. Is that moss?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, that's moss. I didn't plant it, it just moved in. Unless a bit of it came in the pot of another plant I bought one time. So far I'm really happy it's spreading, but I do notice that it is beginning to climb up and over a small border of cement cobblestones. Spreading out like little fingers. I may not be so happy after all.

• BecR
    14 years ago

Beautiful! My MIL used to raise coleus from seed and would cross-pollinate them to make different, beautiful varieties.I was never without coleus,then;-)You can take cuttings and they will root easily in water, and will grow roots andlive in a vase of water for a long time, if you change the water regularly.Thanks for sharing, Schoolhouse. Becky

• BecR
    14 years ago

Wanted to say that I love the name Merlin's Magic. Reminds me of the tv show and the whole Arthurian thing, which I love! I don't see named varieties of coleus here often. Becky

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm