After:

{{gwi:629435}}

Still Growing:

{{gwi:629436}}

Now I love walking in my back yard. :)

Comments (8)

• User
    14 years ago

Wow....I can't believe what a gorgeous space you have created. I would think that in TX you would have a time keeping it watered out in all that hot sun. You have done a beautiful job. Can you share details...ground prep/names of plants/how old the garden is ? Would love details. Thanks and congratulations . Caroline

• haxuan
    14 years ago

Wow, what beautiful transformation!
    Thanks for sharing.

Xuan

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

I bet you do love walking in your back yard now. You have created a beautiful space to enjoy alright. Did you kill your grass and then plant the flowers? Looks like alot of work but it is wonderful now. So happy for you now the hardest work is behind you. Punk

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies and compliments. I'll try to answer your questions.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but there is a flower bed on the other side adjacent to my house. You can barely see it on the 1st after picture. The grass pathway runs right between the two flower beds.

Here is a picture of the flower bed by the side of the house. The crepe myrtle has been there for a number of years.

{{gwi:629437}}

The pathway needed to be a certain width (to please DH and his riding lawnmower), so I just took a string that width and sprayed where I wanted the flower beds to be (it's not a straight shot from gate to back porch as it 'curves'). The hardest part was removing the grass, and DS talked me into renting a sod cutter, which I am so glad he did. It made the job sooo much easier. It removed about 2" of the top of the soil, and got most of the grass out.

I placed edging down (it's a little squiggly but the plants hang over and hide it), then planted the plants, and added about 2" of mulch, which brought the soil level back up to the level of the grass pathway.

This project was done last August, so it is now 1 year old. For plants, I used pretty much what was available, but I predominately wanted yellow and red flowers. I have small (about 2' tall) cannas, coreopsis, lambs ear, bulbine, hot lips sage, sedum, salvia, coneflowers, iris, yellow barberries, and some 'special' plants (one each) of brugmasia (sp?) and tea tree.

I also added some evergreen shrubs to fill out this large space and to have something to look at in the winter. They include a dwarf buford holly at the end, heleri hollies, a couple of yews (not doing good in our heat), and dwarf indian hawthornes.

The rock rose I planted has been the biggest 'filler' plant, and I have also recently purchased some lily bulbs for other places that need some filling in.

The flower bed on the house side has a portion that is mostly shade and in that area I filled in with more hollies, hydrangeas, hostas and ferns.

We have a sprinkler system, but we also use a watering tractor that pulls along a hose and is easy to put right down the middle of the path.

I would definitely recommend the sod cutter. Hauling the mulch was the worst part, but it has not been bad to keep maintained, and the bees and butterflies are really loving it.

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Wow, quite a display! And only a year old?
    It looks like a paradise: so green and lush. Your house looks beautiful as well. Thanks for sharing the photos of all of your hard work!
    Renee

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

My first thought, like others, was WOW. What a lovely transformation, and no wonder you love going for walks there. You did a fantastic job.

FlowerLady

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Good grief, how did I miss this! It is just lovely.

Kathy

• blondiesc
    14 years ago

Nothing dull about your yard now! Beautiful and job well done!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths