Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

Who Do You Plant For?

Nell Jean
14 years ago

I Plant for these Friends.

Their favorite nectar plants are Lantana, Pentas, and Porterweed.

Esperanza attracts them with its huge yellow bells, but they nectar on the Porterweed and Pride of Barbados planted with the Esperanza, except for the Sulphurs, who like Esperanza. In the afternnon, the butterflies seek out Lantana facing west in the sunshine.

{{gwi:629466}}

Spicebush Swallowtail on Pentas

{{gwi:629467}}

Clouded Sulphur on Esperanza (Tecoma stans)

{{gwi:629468}}

Swallowtails and Gulf Frits on Tithonia

{{gwi:629469}}

Black Swallowtails on Pentas

{{gwi:629470}}

Spicebush Swallowtails on Pentas

{{gwi:629471}}

Spicebush Swallowtail on Porterweed in front of Esperanza (Tecoma stans). Look closely for a Clouded Sulphur up high on the Esperanza.

A Hummingbird flew from the Esperanza. I was so startled I couldn't bring the camera up.

{{gwi:629472}}

Gulf Frit on Porterweed

{{gwi:629473}}

Buckeye on two colors of Lantana

Probably 5% of my butterfly pics were worth sharing today. The sun was wrong, the butterflies did what they do best --flew, my hands shook, or I failed to wait for the auto-focus. There are more from yesterday and Sunday that you haven't seen.

It's very hard to decide which to post when butterflies are plentiful. It takes patience to get their little pictures, but it is very rewarding, the wait.

Nell

Comments (13)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

That is amazing Nell! I have never seen so many in one garden before! I am lucky to get one cabbage butterfly a day. I guess I know now where they have all gone, lol!

That buckeye is awesome. Never seen one before.
    Thank you for the pics.
    CMK

• gldno1
    14 years ago

We are still not having nearly as many as last year.

I am amazed at all the ones on the pentas. My senior eyes had to really look to find the Sulphur on the yellow flower!

My first reaction to your question, was Me! I do plant with hummingbirds and butterflies in mind; more so since joining this Forum. It has made me much more aware of them.

I may have to try some of your plants which would be annuals for me, of course. I know I see lantana in the greenhouses but I can't remember about pentas.

You are doing great with the new camera!

glenda

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Beautiful!

I plant for me. The hummers and butterflies are an added benefit.

I have a native plant named Greg's blue mistflower. Butterflies love it. Especially gulf frits.

Of course at the moment there are none on it.

There have not been may BF's this summer.
    I, too, guess I know where they are!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:629457}}

• treelover
    14 years ago

Nice photos! The pentas certainly appear to be Most Popular. I cooked a few of those out in my parking strip last year; will have to try them in another spot and see if I can attract more butterflies.

This year I've been seeing only one bf in my garden whenever I look. Not the same one each time, but never more than one at a time. Odd. Still, overall I think I'm seeing more this year than last.

• jxa44
    14 years ago

beautiful! i wish i was in your zone so i could grow any of those plants!

j.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Your photos are beautiful! How nice to have so many butterflies to choose from!

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Spotted two monarch butterfly caterpillars on my milkweed last evening but forgot to go back with my camera and snap a pic. So, first thing this morning I was hoping to catch both of them; only one was still there. Here's a couple photos:

{{gwi:629474}}

{{gwi:629475}}

• User
    14 years ago

I have lots of different butterflies this year...I don't know all their names so am glad to see this post. I will try and get out with the camera tomorrow. I got it back yesterday after breaking it. WOW great pics...

• janroze
    14 years ago

I plant first to feed my soul, put me in touch with nature, then DH's favs, then the birds and last the butters. gramma jan

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    14 years ago

I plant because it keeps me connected with God, the beauty of it all is so incredible. I choose butterfly and hummer plants because i am mesmerized when watching them!
    Also, i plant because someday, BetterHomes and Gardens will discover my backyard and put me on the cover of their magazine!
    Your pictures are amazing!

• keesha2006
    14 years ago

You have pretty classy friends :)

I have a friend that visits..she doesnt garden a stitch..when she visits she never leaves without saying "you have way to many bugs"

• Annie
    14 years ago

I plant my gardens for ME, but I use EARTH FRIENDLY methods so that other humans, animals and all the fluttering, flittering, hopping, croaking, creeping, peeping critters of who come into my garden will be happy in it too.

~Annie

• msmisk
    14 years ago

I started out planting for the butterflies . . .

{{gwi:629476}}

{{gwi:430964}}

and the hummers (sorry, no picture), but now it seems like I garden for a lot of other critters too . . .

{{gwi:629477}}

{{gwi:629480}}

{{gwi:629481}}

{{gwi:629482}}

{{gwi:629483}}

{{gwi:629484}}

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County